E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Got an idea to soften the ride... 135i non-sport springs + shocks in E90 335i...

03-16-2016, 08:19 AM   #1
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Lightbulb Got an idea to soften the ride... 135i non-sport springs + shocks in E90 335i...

First, my goal is to see if I can make my E90 335i more comfy. Right now I have OEM ZSP sport package springs and Koni FSD shocks (which are softer than OEM on light bumps but much stiffer on big dips on crappy roads, unfortunately).

I found out that 128i/135i shocks and springs fit into the E90...

And I looked at their spring rates and they are a little softer (probably because the 1-series is lighter), which is what I've been looking for.

Seems like it could work nicely to get a more comfy (and less sporty obviously) ride without too much cost... (vs. buying a new car, which is what I'm still leaning toward).

Would there be any rubbing or other issues if I did this? Seems like a handful of folks have tried (per other threads I found), but I didn't see anyone reporting on their experience after the switch.

Any thoughts/advice? And sorry for all the posts on this topic... obviously a tricky decision because it's still so hard to find something that can do all the great things the 335i can do while being more comfy and not super expensive again.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2016, 09:46 AM   #2
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Have you considered simply getting rid of the run-flat tires with their less-compliant shoulders?!

I had an E46 with sport suspension and it was less like riding a soapbox derby car than riding my E90 (without sport suspension) and its run-flats! My wife really dislikes the ride of my E90 in comparison to the E46 with sport suspension.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 09:04 AM   #3
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep

Hi Wilt: Yes, switching out the RFTs was one of the first things I did like 8 years ago.

There are two comfort-related areas:

1. Impact-type shock: this is the issue of the tire hitting some roughness or a sharp crack, etc... and that then being transmitted to the driver. Switching tires helps this, for example.

2. Whole-car-body movement: this is what happens when there is a dip, speed bump, or such thing... the entire car body moves, and how much it moves (and therefore how much the driver feels) is largely dependent on the shocks and springs.

I'm taking about area #2... when you have shocks/springs that are stiff your neck get hammered when there is a sharp dip, speed bump, etc... because the suspension does very little to absorb that motion because it's trying to keep the car connected closely to the road. Which means your head gets closely connected to the road too.

I hope that helps to clarify! I want the car to be more comfortable in area #2, which means that when there is a sharp dip, the wheels & tires move up and down in the wheel well more, but the car body itself moves less (i.e., is LESS connected to the road, increasing driver comfort).

Last edited by Drivaar; 03-17-2016 at 09:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:38 AM   #4
jmsent
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: VW GTI

I'd say it's a real crapshoot. Nobody can tell you the results of such a setup unless they've tried it themselves. And there could be unforeseen problems leaving you with a lot of expensive parts that don't do what you want. Is the ride on a non-sport E90 soft enough for you? If so, why not just go to those OEM springs and shocks? Maybe a soft set of touring tires with 17" wheels too. If the non sport ride is still too stiff, I'd switch cars and go to an F30, which is known for a much softer ride.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
motoguy128
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Sounds like you might want some adjustable shocks. Maybe something you can set for daily driving, then with a remote adjuster, you could adjust for a weekend of playing. I'm not sure where the market it on electronically adjustable ones. My BMW motorcycle had electronic valving and you could change dampening settings from the computer display. Also had adjustable preload for when you had a passenger or luggage or both. Left it on "comfort" most of the time, and went to standard for twisty roads and sport for smooth twisty roads.

I think spring rates will just make it mushy and create a lot of body roll, bottom out too easy too.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 10:51 AM   #6
motoguy128
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

Might check these out. I don;t know much about them other than the literature.

http://www.bilsteinus.com/products/e...stein-b16-irc/

remote adjust-ability with a smart phone. Combine this with slightly more sport-performance-touring oriented go-flat tires and you might have a winner.
Appreciate 0
      03-17-2016, 11:58 AM   #7
gtvr6
Private
Rep
Drives: 335i

Drivaar - I have read posts where the FSD's are blown. Have you checked that they're your's are still okay?

I'm actually trying to decide if I should install FSD's on my '07 335i (sport pack) and I'm leaning towards the Koni FSD's (Over Bilstein B4) because they're supposed to give you the best of both worlds: firm ride on smooth roads but loosen up on the rough patches.

Reading your post has me nervous that they don't work how they are meant to work at least on the E90's. (I've been in an E46 with the FSD's and thought they were fine).

Anyone have any experience going from a stock ride to the FSD's?
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2016, 09:57 AM   #8
Drivaar
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks everyone for the comments! Sorry for the late reply... it's been a busy week!

jmsent: Yeah, ending up with a whole bunch of parts is what I'm worried about... that's why I was hoping to hear from someone who had tried it before. (They are out there, but very few and far between, of course.)

motoguy128: Wow that sounds really cool... Clearly there is some amazing tech out there! But it's expensive... And I really don't need the adjustment at this point, just need something soft. Thanks for letting people know those exist though!!

gtvr6: Yeah, the FSDs are fine. I do very much recommend the FSDs on decent roads, and if you don't have any neck/spine/back problems. They do pretty much what they advertise -- little road imperfections get softened out, and when you corner, the car stays very flat. But, as I said, that latter feature turns into a problem on the rare occasions where there is a big sudden road dip because it's operating as a very stiff suspension, and your head/neck/back gets directly connected to the road (ouch). That won't be a problem for many people, but if you have any injury, that's when it doesn't work. But that is the same for any tighter suspension setup.

I hope that's helpful!

Last edited by Drivaar; 03-19-2016 at 10:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 11:40 AM   #9
sea6speed
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 335i Msport 6M / E34 535i

-1 size on the wheels and more compliant tires. That's what I ended up doing on my e34 to improve ride comfort.

Honestly I'd consider a different car over removing sport suspension from an e90.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2016, 11:58 AM   #10
dannyhavok
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 328xi 6MT

For the price of all this suspension gear, you could just buy an old Lexus GS to DD
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2019, 03:10 AM   #11
E60525d
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M Sport LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drivaar View Post
First, my goal is to see if I can make my E90 335i more comfy. Right now I have OEM ZSP sport package springs and Koni FSD shocks (which are softer than OEM on light bumps but much stiffer on big dips on crappy roads, unfortunately).

I found out that 128i/135i shocks and springs fit into the E90...

And I looked at their spring rates and they are a little softer (probably because the 1-series is lighter), which is what I've been looking for.

Seems like it could work nicely to get a more comfy (and less sporty obviously) ride without too much cost... (vs. buying a new car, which is what I'm still leaning toward).

Would there be any rubbing or other issues if I did this? Seems like a handful of folks have tried (per other threads I found), but I didn't see anyone reporting on their experience after the switch.

Any thoughts/advice? And sorry for all the posts on this topic... obviously a tricky decision because it's still so hard to find something that can do all the great things the 335i can do while being more comfy and not super expensive again.

Thanks!
Did you end up changing the springs and shocks?
Appreciate 0