E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Anjuna's N55 Tuning Thread

05-26-2021, 03:36 PM   #133
pacific_tune
Rep
Drives: f30 e70 e46

spent all day to recognize that exhaust flap controlled in Comfort mode AKRGRCCAT table
and in sport AKRGRCCATM table but saw now that Anon1 has done it long time ago lol. my question is can i separate Comfort mode and DSC OFF mode controls ? because when i am in Sport mode and set Exhaust valve open and turning DSC off is bringing back to comfort mode valve close. and one more thing i can see that there are 0-9 scaling 0 neutrlal 1-8 gears and what is 9 column ? reverse? thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2021, 07:39 AM   #134
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW X1 35i M-sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by anjuna View Post
I'll do my best. I have some experience with the EVO style but more with CarBerry/Subies.

Load is calculated by a metric fuck ton of variables, but it is mostly a "torque to load" conversion. This means the engine calculates the amount of torque it is producing (or, in overrun, receiving) by using a ton of variables (I know you are asking for all of these, but there are really only a few worth mentioning, because some of them get as complex as "turbo backpressure" and airflow through various manifolds - basically models). Most of them make sense and there is no need to change them. Those include friction loss, mechanical components, etc. The ones you can change are the ignition timing, VANOS, Valvetronic, airflow, air temp, barometric, blah blah blah.

Long to the short - It determines the torque it must output (or it is receiving) and generates an arbitrary value called "load" and you can see that here, in this stock table.

However, some people alter these tables, because they may find that by changing VANOS, valvetronic, boost, etc, they will run into an instance where the DME load req and DME calculated load are wayyyyy off. The hard part to understand is this is kind of a bi-directional table. The DME is taking alllll the commanded values for alllll those variables I had previously mentioned and reverse looking up through this table. Then, it also takes allllllll those ACTUAL variables and uses this table as well. Lastly, but also probably most importantly, most people tend to adjust the last few rows in this table to prohibit "torque limiting" on the transmission. I do not suggest this.

The reason that "load" is used for these tables is due to how the DME handles powaaaaaaa.

The accelerator generates a "position" which is translated into a desired load value. This is what is controlled in the "Load Ceiling" table. If you're 100% on throttle, you get the rightmost value in that column. If you have pre-ignition, you move to the left in that table.

As such, that's sort of why you want a load value. If you're telling the engine "I'd like this much 'load'" then the DME says "OK lets try to do that. These are the values we should use. Let's see how it goes"

You could essentially replace "Load" with "Throttle Percentage" as long as you scale that to your max load - For instance, my max load is 200%. This makes it easy, since I know that basically 100% load is half throttle. It's SORT of that easy, but there's some other fuckery in there (valvetronic and valve body). But to keep it simple, that's probably easier.

I think the second part of your comment is answered in the first part of this one. There are "two" loads, but they are only requested vs actual.

This is important to understand - if you have overboost (or any experience of too much air) then you will see a higher ACTUAL load. Requested load will stay where your foot puts it.
Thank you for taking the time to explain all that, it's much appreciated! That's given me something to chew on for a bit.

So back to the two loads, I get the load request and load actual, but I have 3 different loads I can log, the load request, and the other two are load actual, and load actual ram. These last two have very similar, but not identical values in logs. Any thoughts on why there would be two different load actuals? I'm not sure which one is the actual load actual? They are both very close, so it's probably splitting hairs and doesn't matter, I just like to understand the details
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2021, 06:04 AM   #135
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheela View Post
Thank you for taking the time to explain all that, it's much appreciated! That's given me something to chew on for a bit.

So back to the two loads, I get the load request and load actual, but I have 3 different loads I can log, the load request, and the other two are load actual, and load actual ram. These last two have very similar, but not identical values in logs. Any thoughts on why there would be two different load actuals? I'm not sure which one is the actual load actual? They are both very close, so it's probably splitting hairs and doesn't matter, I just like to understand the details
RAM seems to be the most accurate.

I log load req and load act RAM. I know this because I massively overboosted once because I was being a fuck - "load act" reported 205 load while "load act ram" reported more on par with a 227 load.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 05:21 PM   #136
pacific_tune
Rep
Drives: f30 e70 e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
Haha, I have spent more time in WinOLS over the paste week than I have driven in the past few months...

I have been focusing on transposing more Tables from the M2/M4 to the 9E60B XDF, with the hopes to make it feel more like a M2/M4

I was able to find 8 more Throttle tables:
Pedal Sport+ (take off) AT
Pedal Sport+ AT
Pedal Sport+ (take off)
Pedal Sport+
Throttle valve setpoint map
Throttle valve setpoint map2
Throttle valve setpoint map at Comfort Start
Throttle recovery after major TC

I have copied the settings from the 8 Pedal Tables (Pedal comfort/sport/sport+) from the M2 and am now using those instead of MHDs linear throttle options.

Attachment 2264718

My plan is to keep going, and copy over as many settings from the M2 as possible. I will continue with the throttle/responsiveness then move to the Sound/Exhaust.
can you please share some good too feel pedal tables ? thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2021, 05:50 PM   #137
irish07
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI 328xi

I'm messing with my N55 LCI X5 which doesn't have a Sport button. I've tried setting all maps to 0 for valve commands, I've set speed from 10kph to 0kph, time delay has also been set to 0. Still can't get the valve to open at idle..

The stock CWAKR codewode is 34 hex (52 dec), I tried 13hex (19 dec), same result of no control over valve at idle with maps all set to zero. I've given up on tunerpro and using a copy of WinOLS, have the damos and matched everything needed. I can manually move the valve with my hand so I know it's not seized. Got to be something simple I'm missing..
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 05:50 PM   #138
JPuehl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i N55 DCT

Quote:
INJECTION TIMING
Injection Angle Start (there's like 4 tables)
COLUMNS - X/20.48
ROWS - X
VALUE - X*3/128
and voila.

Oh, and remember that cat warmup table I mentioned earlier? It looks something like this

Notice how the Injection timing is quite retarded in the warm up range. This is no coincidence - In cat warmup, there is retarded injection timing and retarded ignition timing. This causes EGT to shooooooot up and makes cool spooly swooshy neighbor-abuse noises. I am catless and I run the cold start warmup because it does allow for some of the exhaust and valvetrain to warm up quickly. If you hate the warmup, you have a couple choices.
1. Copy your regular injector timing tables over to the cat warmup table. You'll still see some retarded timing on cold start, but the raspy noise from retarded injector timing is mitigated.
I have been looking for the Injection Angle cat warmup table and thought I found it but when I changed the values to match the main injection angle table, nothing changed. I ended up finding a total of 10 injection angle tables in addition to the main table that everyone already has. What I ended up doing to see if any of the tables I defined were the cat warmup table was to set all 10 of the tables to match the main table and there was no difference in the cold start loudness. Does anyone know if this is the correct table (1st image below)? Also does anyone know if there's a "spool mode" injection angle table? There's a table that looks similar to the main table but has more rows with lower rpm vales (2nd image below).
Attached Images

1Mpostr
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2021, 06:56 PM   #139
Anon1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i M-Sport DCT

Just a heads up, there was a big XDF update in the public repo. https://github.com/dmacpro91/BMW-XDF...27292ceeadf202
Appreciate 1
      09-21-2021, 08:25 PM   #140
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anon1 View Post
Just a heads up, there was a big XDF update in the public repo. https://github.com/dmacpro91/BMW-XDF...27292ceeadf202
Giddy the phuck up! Thanks for sharing, I've been checking in on that periodically waiting for this day! You can probably guess from my excitement that I don't know how to define my own tables in an XDF haha!! Yet.... Hopefully.... not.... a.... pipe..... dream
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2022, 10:02 PM   #141
Gjohnson7
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' BMW 535i, 12' Lexus RX350,

Garage List
2011 535i  [0.00]
Sorry if I am repeating an old question, but I am researching creating my own custom tune and have a question about the best base bin to start with.

I noticed in the bin files I have found for my 000000D07596401 HW Rev that there are original bin files as well as Map Switch Base bin files. Is the later required if I want to use the Map switch feature in the future?

Also, I have been running a BEF map for months, but I recently sold my JB4. Is a BEF map a better bin to build my custom map off of or would it be better to start with the original?
      01-05-2022, 11:04 AM   #142
BimmerHausPerformance
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i 6MT

Garage List
2011 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Sub'd

2011 F10 S55 6MT
Website Insta @bimmerhausperformance YouTube
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 03:25 PM   #143
twinscrolled
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
VALVETRONIC / THROTTLE TALBES

Ah yes, valvetronic. The topic of literally every conversation I have with myself. What is valvetronic? Think vtec - now think bigger. It's an infinitely adjustable (through the range) of adjusting your intake cam opening. NO VALVETRONIC IS NOT "THROTTLE POSITION" FROM MHD LOGS!!! By using valvetronic, BMW moves to control engine air consumption by shifting toward using an uber-complex but uber-cool way to control airflow. Again, the valvetronic controls the lift of the intake valves by varying the input ratio of the intake cam. Check out wikipedia for mo betta information.

Why does valvetronic matter? Well, it kind of directly has an impact on the air being consumed by the engine. BMW still uses throttle plate logic to control the.... throttle plate... but I usually do away with all that - Like BMW.. ya know.. documents in all their shit - they claim the throttle plate is ALWAYS OPEN and in reality we all see this not to be true using MHD logs (again, throttle plate is throttle position. we cannot see valvetronic position [yet] with mhd).

Since the valvetronic position has everything to do with the intake valve position, we can get into some fucky conditions if we don't know what we are doing (and we generally don't, because we can't see true position, don't worry, i'll repeat this again and again). For instance, if we DON'T open the valvetronic enough, we can experience "overboost" and that sucks. However, if we open valvetronic TOO MUCH, we will experience too much Actual Load vs Requested Load. Sometimes it's a result of flowing too much air and not building enough relative boost. This means we get an "Implausible boost pressure in charge pipe" type DME drivetrain malfunction... Get the picture yet?

My approach to tweaking valvetronic is probably.... unique... but I'll talk about that in a second.

First, here's what the valvetronic tables look like STOCK for my vehicle (by the way, there are like 10 tables, which control different modes, so yeah...)
VALVETRONIC5 - MW (STOCK)

So let's take a second to look at this table. It's non-linear! waaaaat. Yeah, so all you guys complaining about "non-linear throttle" not being massively improved by using the "linear throttle" option of the MHD flash, stay tuned! However, it's not as bad as it looks. We must understand that at a higher RPM (even with the same throttle input) we need more air. Additionally, this table is a little confusing on it's own... Like, OK, if throttle position isn't valvetronic position and this table has a axis that looks like throttle position, then what the fuck is it??

My best understanding is as follows.
You put your foot on the accelerator (loud pedal, right foot) and that transmits a position. Let's call that something unique, like "accelerator position" phew... that took me a bit.
Now, your accelerator position gets scaled by another table, like "Pedal Comfort (KF_PEDAL_0)" to produce something we can call "Absolute Accelerator Position (or AAP if you don't have the time).
- AAP is used in a ton of places. stay tuned.
THEN your AAP is used as a lookup in the valvetronic table for valvetronic position. It does not seem to waver (like if throttle position is reduced by throttle plate interventions).

Lets take a look!
Pedal Comfort (KF_PEDAL_0)

1. SO you put your foot at 20% on the accelerator at 2000rpm
2. This table returns an AAP value of 23%
3. Your valvetronic table uses AAP of 23% at 2000rpm to return a valvtronic position of ~15%ish according to the stock table.
4. Pretend to die because this is weird.

So what does this all mean? It means that this is suuuuper hard to tune and work with unless you've spent a good bit of time working with your own table. HOWEVER we can use this table to optimize airflow, but we can't see valvetronic position so good luck.

lastly, I'll leave a little tidbit here... If you notice, the accelerator position to AAP table is scaled up to "106%" in my example. This is how the transmission does kickdown logic - If you flatten out this to be 100% max, you'll never ever see kickdown when you're in Manual Mode on the auto. On my accelerator pedal, I have a range (0-95%) that is linear, then the last 5% is more of a "click" which is where the kickdown occurs. BMW does this so that if you're a moron driving in manual mode and you really need to hit it, you'll depress hard enough and it will just do magic. As such, if you want to TRULY delete kickdown without buying one of those funky little plastic gromets to go behind the accelerator, just flatten this out to 100% max.

MY THROTTLE TABLE

I continue to use 113% max as my AAP max and, as such, scale my valvetronic tables up to 100% on the columns. This means that 100-113% doesn't change valvetronic (it's already at max), but 100-113% does in fact downshift the automatic.

Before I define these tables, I want you to note that the N55 opens up to 9.9mm (according to the BMW spec) but the stock BMW logic only opens to 9.8mm. I'm assuming this is to keep a little safety in the valvetronic motor/etc. Good enough for them, good enough for me. If you want to try the 9.9mm, substitute 9.9 in place of 9.8 on the value conversion below. The value conversion makes this a 0-100% of valvetronic position so that things make a little more sense.

COLUMNS - X/100
ROWS - X
VALUE - ((X/1000)/9.8)*100
VALVETRONIC5 - MW
So what happens when the valvetronic is set at max lift and the valvetronic actuator is unplugged?
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2023, 04:11 PM   #144
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinscrolled View Post
So what happens when the valvetronic is set at max lift and the valvetronic actuator is unplugged?
I haven't done it, but have seen multiple people posting that they have when they've ran into issues with the valvetronic system. If you do, your car will just run off the throttle plate only vs. throttle plate and valvetronic. It would really only impact low and part-throttle driving, and would be a slight drop in throttle response, though it sounds like the effect may not even be perceptable. I think you'll have a code and/or check engine light as well.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2024, 07:39 PM   #145
WrxToBeamerGuy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 340i xDrive

Rail Pressure Targets

On OTS e20 maps I've noticed that they reduce rail pressure target to keep the rail pressure from crashing. I'm trying to do the same but my tune will not follow my requested rail pressure and I am not sure why.

The two tables im changing are:
KF_PRAIL_H
KF_PRAIL_H_K

what am I missing?
Attached Images

02-20-2024, 08:29 AM   #146
anjuna
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: f25

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrxToBeamerGuy View Post
On OTS e20 maps I've noticed that they reduce rail pressure target to keep the rail pressure from crashing. I'm trying to do the same but my tune will not follow my requested rail pressure and I am not sure why.

The two tables im changing are:
KF_PRAIL_H
KF_PRAIL_H_K

what am I missing?
There are more HPFP tables than what is available in the public repo.

I suggest downloading a trial of winOLS and searching for tables (built in utility) for tables of similar sizes with similar values.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2024, 08:33 AM   #147
wheela
Captain
United_States
Rep

I looked into winOLS briefly, I thought they'd only provide software to actual tuning companies??? Maybe that's incorrect?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2024, 08:07 PM   #148
itspeat
Rep
Drives: F10 F30 F80

Just gotta say, I probably bookmarked this thread about 2 years ago and tried to stumble my way through it. I would jump around and try to understand bits and pieces.

Since then, I've been learning tuning and engine theory and control strategy slowly. This thread was open in my browser for the last 3 weeks again, and so today I finally decided to just read it straight though without stopping. Love your style. It was great to fully understand everything you wrote and be able to envision it all in my head.

Thanks again for taking the time to do this anjuna
Appreciate 0