E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > UK chat thread

View Poll Results: Should we have a UK sticky chat thread
YES 15 57.69%
NO 11 42.31%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

09-04-2007, 03:15 PM   #67
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep
Drives: 330i SE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
This has now gone from "shall we have a chat thread" to "we need a moderator". Frankly, no offence viv, if there is a structure and some guidelines in place i'm not convinced that we do or at least that they'll be very busy. It's friendly round these parts!
I agree with you Paul- if members do stick to some basic guidelines, then there wouldn't be the need for a UK admin.
However, seeing the threads on here, compared to a year ago, it just isn't happening.

If it continues, without any form of admin/moderation, then the forum will progressively become 'messier & messier'.

The moderators aren't intended to act as 'power-hungry censors'- just a means of keeping the forum 'tidy', thereby allowing information to be found as easily as possible for everyone's benefit.

I do think the forum is a friendly place & I don't think that would change, if member admins were to be allowed on here.

I know the admins, Mark & Jason, are keen to have members look after their own parts of the forum, because they just don't have enough time to do it themselves.

If you feel strongly, either way, then let them know.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 03:40 PM   #68
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
2 more "yesses" needed chaps (and girls if there are any)
      09-04-2007, 03:50 PM   #69
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d M Sport

I for one rather like the current UK forum format.

Living in this over-regulated, over-taxed, over-populated shitpot called the UK a little self regulation in the forum (which does police itself) seems OK to me.

If you want dull then you could always move to Belgium ......
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:20 PM   #70
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Diesel View Post

Living in this over-regulated, over-taxed, over-populated shitpot called the UK a little self regulation in the forum (which does police itself) seems OK to me.

You could Tony, or you could just wait a day & see the same topic started in a new thread, again & again & again....!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:29 PM   #71
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
Now that's tempting fate (or Carl) Viv

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:44 PM   #72
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah but then thats where the self regulation bit comes in - also known as major pisstaking.

The humour is what makes this 'shitpot' bearable.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2007, 04:53 PM   #73
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

Totally agree
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 04:55 AM   #74
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep
Drives: X5 g05

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
I agree with you Paul- if members do stick to some basic guidelines, then there wouldn't be the need for a UK admin.
However, seeing the threads on here, compared to a year ago, it just isn't happening.

If it continues, without any form of admin/moderation, then the forum will progressively become 'messier & messier'.

The moderators aren't intended to act as 'power-hungry censors'- just a means of keeping the forum 'tidy', thereby allowing information to be found as easily as possible for everyone's benefit.

I do think the forum is a friendly place & I don't think that would change, if member admins were to be allowed on here.

I know the admins, Mark & Jason, are keen to have members look after their own parts of the forum, because they just don't have enough time to do it themselves.

If you feel strongly, either way, then let them know.

All the best.

Viv
Viv,

I agree, if there *were* some guidelines (I'm not really aware of any) and some structure (e.g. a dedicated "chat" thread) then we could see how that goes.

To be honest I think this is a mountain and molehill situation. I just did a "straw poll" of the recent posts on the forum and out of the last 21 posts (I went to 21 to be fair to reach the "Soooo P1$$ed off" thread) I would say 2 were not car related or not "serious". To me, that is isn't a bad ratio. So where's the problem? Create a "chat" forum for the "How do I do weights" etc. etc. posts (basically for Carlos to sit and talk to himself in - just kidding C) and job done!

I've seen over-moderated forums and apart from the sycophants and the moderators they aren't necessarily happy places, I'm just not convinced we need it.

Regards,

Paul
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 05:17 AM   #75
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Viv,

I agree, if there *were* some guidelines (I'm not really aware of any) and some structure (e.g. a dedicated "chat" thread) then we could see how that goes.

To be honest I think this is a mountain and molehill situation. I just did a "straw poll" of the recent posts on the forum and out of the last 21 posts (I went to 21 to be fair to reach the "Soooo P1$$ed off" thread) I would say 2 were not car related or not "serious". To me, that is isn't a bad ratio. So where's the problem? Create a "chat" forum for the "How do I do weights" etc. etc. posts (basically for Carlos to sit and talk to himself in - just kidding C) and job done!

I've seen over-moderated forums and apart from the sycophants and the moderators they aren't necessarily happy places, I'm just not convinced we need it.

Regards,

Paul
Paul, I think we need to sort out 'administration' from 'moderation'.

I myself wouldn't want anyone to change the way we make posts on here- it's always been a fun & 'easy' place to make posts, without a severe backlash, most of the time!

However, I would like to see the progressive 'messing' of the main UK forum reduced.
ie keeping the more 'off-topic' threads in a place of their own.
The intention is to make it as easy as possible for members to find the information they're looking for, and not to stop them posting what they want to.
That, I think, is the reason we need some admins on here.

For example are you really happy seeing a thread about tyre punctures next to one about someone's attempts to remove ketchup from their idrive screen, next to one about dodgy dealers in Essex, next to another 7 threads about deisel re-maps?!
I'd prefer a little bit of proper organisation of threads.

Moderation shouldn't have anything to do with administration & I definitely wouldn't want anyone telling me what I can or cannot post, especially after having such an enjoyable time on here over the last 2½ years.

There are some basic forum guidelines HERE, which are aimed at new posters, who have less experience of how the forum works.

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 05:25 AM   #76
- Paul -
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: see above.

Garage List
2005 320D SE  [10.00]
2005 645  [9.00]
I obviously didn't do a great job of explaining myself on the original post. I would never want to be restricted from posting the "jovial" stuff. I've been guilty of enough of it!

The idea was just to have a separate area for the threads that aren't related to BMW - if the jovial/british sense of humour was lost from any post then this place would soon die. I for one love the random nature of some of our threads. I think that seeing random posts in the main area about "whatever" do dilute the nature of the main reason for this forum a little.

There is already an off-topic area for the forum but its heavily USA orientated and I still think we could benefit from having our own.
      09-05-2007, 05:28 AM   #77
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stnewcar View Post
I obviously didn't do a great job of explaining myself on the original post. I would never want to be restricted from posting the "jovial" stuff. I've been guilty of enough of it!

The idea was just to have a separate area for the threads that aren't related to BMW - if the jovial/british sense of humour was lost from any post then this place would soon die. I for one love the random nature of some of our threads. I think that seeing random posts in the main area about "whatever" do dilute the nature of the main reason for this forum a little.

There is already an off-topic area for the forum but its heavily USA orientated and I still think we could benefit from having our own.
As Gordon would probably say, 'In-f***ing-deed'!

I'm as guilty as anyone, of cross-posting, cross-referencing, off-topic-ing, 'thread dilution' & general 'postal playing' & I certainly don't want to stop doing that!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #78
booforty
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 E92 M3  [0.00]
Paul, don't worry we understand what you are getting at!!

You should have suggested a Carlos sub-forum!!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 05:46 AM   #79
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivekk View Post
Paul, I think we need to sort out 'administration' from 'moderation'.

Viv
Viv, I definitely think we do as I am now confused! Are you saying someone will come along and categorise the "tomato ketchup on idrive screen" somehow differently from the post next to it?

To me there isn't enough volume of posts for that to be a real issue, that's my opinion of course. As per my straw poll I really don't think we have a problem but if we think we do then let's get a chat thread for Carlos. Problem solved?

Or do we have a new problem now related to unrelated messages (albeit valid ones) being next to eachother ?!!?

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 06:22 AM   #80
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
i feel most of this is subsequently because of me???

confused somewhat, as i dont post pointless drivel, yes some of my posts may not be relevant to every individual but rarely a post is...

i have not seen one post of ''chat'' chat is everyday shite like ''how many sugars should i have in my tea this lunchtime'' we dont really have posts liek that even from me

well apart from the pissed one, HEY we all make mistakes

and that mistake is not as bad as im sure many you have done in your life

like the occasional pulling of some woman in a club when your ''pissed'' and not telling your wife etc
      09-05-2007, 06:53 AM   #81
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post

confused somewhat, as i dont post pointless drivel, yes some of my posts may not be relevant to every individual but rarely a post is...

i have not seen one post of ''chat'' chat is everyday shite like ''how many sugars should i have in my tea this lunchtime'' we dont really have posts liek that even from me

like the occasional pulling of some woman in a club when your ''pissed'' and not telling your wife etc
Carlos, you are absolutely right. Not ONE post of chat... chat is everyday sh1te like, and I quote:

"Think I'm pi55ed"
"Who is at home right now posting"
"Best car chase films"
"How long would it take me to drive to east angular?
>> OK I partially made that one up and it was partially serious.
"i apologize"
"negativity towards other forum member"
"horniest thing youve done"
"hayfever"
"any dentists on here, or anybody know a dentist well"

AND MY OWN PERSONAL ALL TIME FAVOURITE:

when did you last have a one night HAND??

I just can't understand where all these people are coming from.

Don't change Carlos, we'd have f*** all to talk about otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 06:55 AM   #82
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
I think its wrong to say there are problems with the current setup, or specifically a problem with any individual person (that might, but not necessarily be called Carlos!) I certainly don't think that at all, and I think Carl has actually helped create some good banter on the UK forum. The UK has the most number of threads out of all the regional forums:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=19

although not the most number of posts, but that gives us something to work towards!

At the moment the entire site has only 2 Administrators and no moderators at all, which seems strange given the popularity of the site and number of forums. If we had two moderators just to keep an eye on things , that will help in the organisation of messages. My view would be that the Moderators would do their job and largely go unnoticed in the admin tasks of the forum. Most other forums have the same sort of idea, so its not really anything new.

As Viv has said, the number of posts in the UK forum has grown quite considerably, quite recently, as well as the number of new threads being created. This is not a bad thing in any way. I think the thoughts are to basically organise the threads a bit better, broadly into the two categories of "off topic and banter" and "questions relating to the E90/91/92/93/94 etc." As I said, there are loads of off topic questions I could raise, and would appreciate and value opinion of others, and an off-topic sub-forum would be the place to do this.

Gordon.

PS. Carl - just 1 sugar in my tea please?
      09-05-2007, 07:10 AM   #83
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Carlos, you are absolutely right. Not ONE post of chat... chat is everyday sh1te like, and I quote:

"Think I'm pi55ed"
"Who is at home right now posting"
"Best car chase films"
"How long would it take me to drive to east angular?
>> OK I partially made that one up and it was partially serious.
"i apologize"
"negativity towards other forum member"
"horniest thing youve done"
"hayfever"
"any dentists on here, or anybody know a dentist well"

AND MY OWN PERSONAL ALL TIME FAVOURITE:

when did you last have a one night HAND??

I just can't understand where all these people are coming from.

Don't change Carlos, we'd have f*** all to talk about otherwise.
and out of those, only one has been within the last month

yeah love you too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
I think its wrong to say there are problems with the current setup, or specifically a problem with any individual person (that might, but not necessarily be called Carlos!) I certainly don't think that at all, and I think Carl has actually helped create some good banter on the UK forum. The UK has the most number of threads out of all the regional forums:

although not the most number of posts, but that gives us something to work towards!

At the moment the entire site has only 2 Administrators and no moderators at all, which seems strange given the popularity of the site and number of forums. If we had two moderators just to keep an eye on things , that will help in the organisation of messages. My view would be that the Moderators would do their job and largely go unnoticed in the admin tasks of the forum. Most other forums have the same sort of idea, so its not really anything new.

As Viv has said, the number of posts in the UK forum has grown quite considerably, quite recently, as well as the number of new threads being created. This is not a bad thing in any way. I think the thoughts are to basically organise the threads a bit better, broadly into the two categories of "off topic and banter" and "questions relating to the E90/91/92/93/94 etc." As I said, there are loads of off topic questions I could raise, and would appreciate and value opinion of others, and an off-topic sub-forum would be the place to do this.

Gordon.

i think it would sterilize it somewhat having a seperate off topic section, it would still get ''lively'' in the car section any way

but if it ends up happening then im all for it, i just quite like the way the forum is presently thats all

and i love the banter and think its a great escape being on here with you guys

Carlos
      09-05-2007, 07:22 AM   #84
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
I lUURVE you guys....

No seriously I agree with Carl (!) that there does seem to be a bit more of a spirit appearing more recently.

I know "I" couldn't fully commit to the board until I knew for sure the car was actually coming - perhaps others feel the same ?

SJ
      09-05-2007, 07:46 AM   #85
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Viv, I definitely think we do as I am now confused! Are you saying someone will come along and categorise the "tomato ketchup on idrive screen" somehow differently from the post next to it?

To me there isn't enough volume of posts for that to be a real issue, that's my opinion of course. As per my straw poll I really don't think we have a problem but if we think we do then let's get a chat thread for Carlos. Problem solved?

Or do we have a new problem now related to unrelated messages (albeit valid ones) being next to eachother ?!!?

Paul, currently we have 33 pages of threads, all of which are in the same UK forum & they are growing faster than Carlos's nose at a Pinocchio convention! I think that is excessive & just not necessary.
A year ago, I'd have no problem at all trying to find a piece of information from all of the threads in the UK section, but now it is getting unnecessarily difficult.

I'm not saying 'don't post', I'm saying 'post in the right place' ie thread
Most new members have managed to minimise their need to hit the 'New topic' button, but some have done nothing but smash it to death!

I'm quite happy to go through old threads & sort them into some sort of order. I have no intention whatsoever of changing anything that anyone has written previously or in the future, nor would I want to.

I think I've been using the whole of the e90post forum, not just the UK section, for long enough to know what works well & what doesn't.
That experience is telling me that something needs to be done to 'tidy' the place up a bit. Again, this has NOTHING AT ALL to do with checking what you write, but has everything to do with where you're writing it.

Others may find there's no problem having completely different threads running next to each other, but in the long term, it just makes searches hellishly confusing. You might think I'm talking sh*te, until you have a read of the threads we started over 2 years ago & compare them with the ones some members are posting now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post

Carloss, I love reading your posts & think you've actually 'grown up' a lot since you've been on here, with regards to the threads you've started & the posts you've made.

As I'd expect, you still come out with unbelievable sh*ite now & again, but that just makes me smile!

I've got nothing against anything you post (apart from the odd swearing), but I would be happier if you had a look at some of the oldest threads on here & see if something you're going to say could be said in one of those threads, without starting a new one.

What I am saying, is that some stuff isn't as important as other stuff, when people are trying to find something about their cars which is important to them.
You can talk about 'sugars in teas', 'condoms on Saturdays v condoms on Mondays', 'vomiting in the ashtray', 'freezing your nuts' or anything else that takes your fancy. It would just make things a whole lot more easier if there was a 'nice little place' on the UK forum for all of this stuff, away from the 're-mapping', 'punctures', 'meets', 'finance' posts etc

I know this isn't going to mean as much to you now, as it will later, after you've been on here long enough to know better, but you're going to just have to trust me on this, ok my friend!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post

Gordon.

Thanks Gordon.

I hope I'm not talking like a proverbial 'dipsh*t', but when I get a little wound up, I have a habit of 'biting & not letting go', as some of the other members will tell you, from the car meets!

All the best.

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 08:57 AM   #86
Evil Diesel
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

OK - an off topic b/s section moderated by Viv is ok by me provided that the opportunity to pisstake is not removed from the main forum.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:02 AM   #87
vivekk
THE Viv
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
OK - an off topic b/s section moderated by Viv is ok by me provided that the opportunity to pisstake is not removed from the main forum.
I wasn't actually thinking of doing it myself, Tony- I was actually thinking of someone you know very well!

Let me tell you, I'll be the first member to say good-bye, if the p*sstaking ability were ever to be removed from the main forum!

Viv

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2007, 09:07 AM   #88
silverbmwz3
Colonel
Rep

Garage List
It sounds like Viv is talking about re-organising the main section, but that isn't what was being suggested here. Personally I don't think it needs it, there isn't THAT much volume and whether someone posts in an existing thread or a new thread isn't that big a deal to me.

Again, doing a straw poll on the current fron page of posts I can't imagine too many of them fitting into past threads from memory, perhaps I haven't been around long enough either.

So in summary, I think a chat thread would be good, moderated by someone perhaps or perhaps not, the main thread I think would then have less crap and would be fine. That's my twopenneth for what it's worth at the end of the day your mileage may vary in my humble opinion etc. etc. etc.
Appreciate 0