E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Knackered injectors?

02-14-2015, 07:08 AM   #1
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Knackered injectors?

For the last few weeks my car often hasn't been too great on the first start of the day. It has been getting worse as days go by.

When I start the engine it revs at 2000rpm for a few seconds and then drops down struggling to tick over smoothly.

Once it had actually flagged up the engine emissions warning and the fan kicked in. It reset itself after restarting.

A few times in the first mile of driving the car had hesitated badly when accelerating in the mid range. After that all is well.

The car had three injectors replaced under the "enhancement program" a couple of years ago.

Sound a stick on for the other three?

I've still got my extended warranty, so I'm not too worried yet.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 08:02 AM   #2
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Get yourself to a reliable indy and ask him to read the fault codes stored in the car. Your problems could be one of many things, and without the codes you're stabbing in the dark...
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 08:26 AM   #3
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

Mine did exactly this, first few seconds was fine then heavy stuttering for the next few mins. Lightly applying throttle made it go away. I was getting low fuel pressure codes, and it turned out to be the HPFP surprise suprise lol.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 09:48 AM   #4
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
Get yourself to a reliable indy and ask him to read the fault codes stored in the car. Your problems could be one of many things, and without the codes you're stabbing in the dark...
I've still got my extended warranty. No real point paying am Indy to check for problems that the dealer will have to solve.

Just thought I'd ask if that was the symptoms of failed/leaky injectors.

I'll pop into BMW on Monday morning.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2015, 11:03 AM   #5
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

If it's an injector could be a pain to see oddly enough if used correctly ISTA's very good at assisting the tech re finding the issue, we've seen I think 4 335's with injector issues where looking at smooth running you'd think twice about being certain you had an injector issue

In the end (I have pictures on my PC somewhere)we stuck a endoscopic camera directly in to each bore to watch for leaking injectors, I've even git a video as well. When the cars not running ignitions on sometimes off you'll see fuel leaking in to the bores this will also create issue for the Sparks and coils upon start up they'll be a load of us burnt fuel to clear if really glad on start up you'll smell this clearly from the tailpipe area.

You could also have a HPFP issue not unheard off of course(laboured starting/poor cold starting) could also have a fuel pressure sensor fault too but your comments re holding on to 2k then allowing the car to settle make me think(only from your description)that perhaps we have a fuel issue possably a leaking injector that's creating perhaps a misfire of sorts (saturating the plugs with fuel)which I've seen.

As you've said you've got a BMW warranty use it. If I find the pics I'll post them.

Edit: Pictures I've highlighted the fuel leak(remember the cars not running at all in these pictures)on the first picture

second and third and forth and fifth pictures shows the spray pattern

and the video showing just how much fuel can be lost via leaking injector

Once this was done along with the required walnut blasting this car run as you'd expect.

Last edited by old grey steve; 02-14-2015 at 12:27 PM..
Appreciate 0