E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 335i Wastegate / Turbo sounds (Mini Cooper S turbo sounds)

02-17-2015, 09:05 AM   #1
alex-qts
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335i N54 Coupe

335i Wastegate / Turbo sounds (Mini Cooper S turbo sounds)

My 335i is at the dealer today having the **** replaced. Usually they give me BMW's but had the chance to take a brand new Mini Cooper S for the day. Obviusly it's not 335 fast, and not a fan of it's looks but the handling and engine feel so right! When pushed into overboost it's actually quite quick for what it is. Can only imagine the M135i would feel like this but better.

Bit of a strange one but does anyone know how the new twin-power turbo engines are dealing with boost? In sport mode it sounds like my old 5 cylinder turbo Audi S4 with external wastegate! Every lift-off is filled with chattering and boost buildup is very audible. Makes for a fun drive with the windows down!

I love the 335i but you almost forget that it even has turbo's because you can hardly hear them. I know that you can fit BOV's and new recirc valves etc but I was just curious as to why the new engines are sounding better stock? It is almost like they are picking and choosing when to vent to the atmosphere or the airbox is unrestricted. My only guess would be because it has a single turbo as opposed to x2 smaller units. Maybe higher boost through a single unit?

Hoping that a JB4 and DCI will help aid the spool / turbo sounds as I forgot how much it adds to the driving experience.

Last edited by alex-qts; 02-16-2016 at 05:29 PM..
Appreciate 0