E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Rough Idle, Low Power, Misfires...?

08-27-2015, 07:43 AM   #23
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I finally caved and took mine to a BMW shop, they diagnosed it as the eccentric shaft sensor. I have ordered a new one and will put in tomorrow, hopefully that will take care of it.
"When you are passionate, you always have your destination in sight and you are not distracted by obstacles. Because you love what you are pursuing, things like rejection and setbacks will not hinder you in your pursuit. You believe that nothing can stop you!" - Coach K

Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 09:21 AM   #24
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
That is quite a big job! Hope it goes well and finally sorts out the problem!!!

Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 11:49 AM   #25
Nordkeyz73
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 328i ZSP, Macan Turbo

Chad I feel your pain! Check out my thread, exact same symptoms and I've done smoke testing gasket replacements, coil replacements, MAF cleaning. Found oil in one of the coil receptacles, but cleaning it didn't do anything. I too am now starting to think eccentric shaft sensor. But the funny part is that before I installed the AA tune software and just did the 3 stage manifold upgrade I was getting these issues. I'm thinking the car doesn't like this higher airflow. I don't know what my shop would charge for Eccentric shaft sensor replacement, but my car's been out of commission for 3 weeks and running out of time, otherwise I'd do it myself.
      08-29-2015, 02:59 PM   #26
SOL403
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 330xi

Wow OP I wish you good luck! hopefully replacing the eccentric shaft sensor will finally make you worry free

Mtec AE - Blacklines - ACS style front lip/roof spoiler/pedals - CF grill/trunklip/licenseplate frame/badges/diffuser - 19" VMR V701 - Michelin PS2 - Res delete - Remus Powersound Quadexhaust - Simota V2 intake - Cyba airscoops - KW V1 coilovers - BMS PBX - Stoptech brake pads/rotors - Mtech rear - Matte Silver Vinyl Wrapped
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 03:19 PM   #27
ChadE
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Welp, replaced the eccentric shaft sensor. Still same problem, runs fine when I reset adaptions, and will continue to run fine as long as its running. It will even run fine if you shut it down and start it back up within a few mins, but once it cools off it will run awful again and will continue to run bad regardless of engine temp until i reset it again.

I also had a software update done, that didnt help either.
"When you are passionate, you always have your destination in sight and you are not distracted by obstacles. Because you love what you are pursuing, things like rejection and setbacks will not hinder you in your pursuit. You believe that nothing can stop you!" - Coach K

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 03:50 PM   #28
David0ff
Combined Applications Group
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lada Scrapus Trofeo R

pull out and check your vanos check valves/filters on the side exhaust side of the head. These things being defective or dirty may starve the oil supply for the vanos at low rpm. where it needs a considerable amount, and they also serves as a check valve to keep oil in the vanos while the engine is off.
They are not expensive, relatively speaking, 30 bux a piece

you can verify if they work by sucking/blowing in them, after you clean them of course.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1070580
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2015, 04:54 PM   #29
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
I wondering about this too! My car has been very temperamental over the last 3 years with the pinging and more annoyingly the dips in power, or power surges. It is definitely also negatively affected by hot weather, and to a certain degree colder weather. But in general it will drive fine from the first start of the day, and maybe along the drive might start to be a bit annoying, but usually after it has stood for a bit and cooled down, then it is definitely at its worst most of the time. It also does not seem to (unless I am imagining it) like being parked facing upwards on an inclined driveway. So gravity along with possibly blocked/restricted check valves, seems plausible. I must just pull finger and fit the new check valves that I bought earlier this year, and may as well give the solenoids another clean and swap around.

Appreciate 0
      02-19-2018, 02:18 PM   #30
raduarr
Registered
Rep
Drives: X6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadE View Post
Welp, replaced the eccentric shaft sensor. Still same problem, runs fine when I reset adaptions, and will continue to run fine as long as its running. It will even run fine if you shut it down and start it back up within a few mins, but once it cools off it will run awful again and will continue to run bad regardless of engine temp until i reset it again.

I also had a software update done, that didnt help either.
hello. how did you solve the problem?
Appreciate 0