E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > How long is a clutch/flyweel supposed to last and should I change mine?

03-03-2019, 01:26 PM   #1
DanMZe90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D SE

How long is a clutch/flyweel supposed to last and should I change mine?

This may sound like a daft question but I have a 2005 E90 330D at 185k miles that I believe is still on its original clutch and flywheel. To be honest, in the last few years I have babied the car on a 40 mile daily commute so I think I have prolonged its 'normal' life.

Over the past year, when it has gone into the garage they have reported that the clutch is felling 'heavy' indicating wear. I can't really notice anything as I have no other beemer to compare it to and, apart from a little vibration in the lower gears, there's no slippage or anything that makes me feel like shelling out £780 (the cheapest quote I have had for clutch/flywheel replacement) for a car that is only worth around 1k that I will most likely sell this year.

Having owned a few cars previously, clutches have always noticeably started slipping before they've completely gone and I am kind of waiting for more signals before I deem it in my best interests to replace it. However, I don't want it to just 'go' on me all of a sudden where it will invariably cost me more in logistics/car hire than getting it done in a planned way. What should I do?

Thanks

Dan
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 01:22 AM   #2
rasa bmw
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640d sport/f31 330d x drive

just leave it,,i bought an e46 with 97k miles,,sold it with 157k miles,,flywheel had a litle play when i bough it,,,also remapped to 270 bhp,,whenn i sold it still original clutch and still had the little bit play in it,,
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2019, 03:57 PM   #3
DanMZe90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D SE

Thanks, that's pretty much what I was thinking!
Appreciate 0