E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Trickle Charging

01-14-2012, 09:20 PM   #23
x26
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoneCold View Post
Get the advanced battery charger from BMW and you will fine. I got one not too long ago.
Yep. Just got one for $53.--Dealership matched BMW Pacofic online price.

Wish I would have gotten one as soon as I bought the Car.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2012, 08:11 AM   #24
ENINTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by x26 View Post
Well afterall; Hydrogen Made the Blimp/derigible Hindenberg explode...
Well, that's what 7 million cubic feet of hydrogen will get ya; a big fireball and a great album cover...

A float charger will not cause a battery to explode in the trunk of a BMW What one needs to understand is a battery only makes hydrogen gas when it is being charged. The hydrogen gas is a by-product of the chemical reaction during the charging cycle; so if you are hooking up the battery to a float charger, it's a resonable assumption that the battery, at the time of connection to the float charger, is not being charged and therefore there is no hydrogen gas present.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 01:38 AM   #25
Yvette
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glim View Post
Same as ENINTY, I hooked it up to the positive and negative terminals by removing the 10mm nut, tried both the black plastic cap and the red plastic cap (that covers the positive terminal.)

Could not get the CTEK3300 to register a full battery and switch to trickle charge.
i dont get it, aren't you supposed to connect from under the hood not directly from the battery?
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:47 AM   #26
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90sexion View Post
i dont get it, aren't you supposed to connect from under the hood not directly from the battery?
I tried that, for four days - it was hooked to the jump start points under the hood while we were away on a Christmas holiday, it never switched to maintainance mode so I hooked it up directly to the battery for several days which still failed to switch to maintainance mode.

Tried three configurations with the battery in the car and eventually pulled the battery and put it on my workbench and charged it until it switched to maintainance mode which took a very short period of time, checked and the battery had a green eye.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 08:23 AM   #27
whoever
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 528 xi

Very helpful, thanks.

Is there a way, or recommended, or any advantage, to tap into the fuse box using add a circuit and connect charger that way?
Appreciate 0