E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Possible gas tank latch fix DIY

11-13-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
hogbmw
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '07 BMW 328i

Possible gas tank latch fix DIY

Like many that have some added bass in there car, my trunk latch broke the other day. When outside the car I could see it rattling pretty violently with music turned up.. I can definitely see how the latch broke.This was in addition to the whole trunk rattling. So I was looking for cheap way to dynamat on the google it and I found this. It's called peel n seal, its available at home depot or lowes in the roofing section. It was $10.27 after tax for a 4" by 33' role. It's a rubber-ethyl dense sticky thing you peel off of and stick on to anything. So I applied this to the lid of the trunk under the carpet, I only applied it to half because the other half I would have needed to fiddle with some wires. Anyway, I applied it and cut holes for the fasteners. Really easy to work with and it stretches to fit to corners. After doing this I shut the trunk and the sound was a bit quieter, I suspect it would have been a lot quieter had I done the whole lid. But I was looking around and saw the gas tank lid rattling and opened it and a huge annoying high-pitched rattle went away. So I applied just one strip of it to the gas tank lid. Closed it, went away mostly. It vibrates a little bit but not nearly as much as before. I just got my gas tank lid replaced saturday so I'm hoping that this reduction of rattle will help the lid not break again, I'll report after some time-trial. Most of the rattle I heard after that sounded like it was coming from the rear bumper and plastic pieces under the car, I think I'll need to coat the whole trunk with it some day when I get more time.
Anyway, hope this helps someone. It costs $10 from lowes so I'm not out a whole lot and it's definitely been good for about 1/5 the price of the equivalent amount of dynamat.
      11-15-2011, 12:50 AM   #2
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

Have yet to break a latch so far
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #3
kymedic25
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 535 Platinum Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Have yet to break a latch so far
My latch broke today. Any fix for the broken latch!

Jason
Premium, Sport, Stage 1 Eurocharged, OEM M-tech kit, DD CSL trunk lid, Smoked Blacklines, , Cyba 4 inch black chrome exhaust tips, Eibach Pro Springs, Koni FSD, Morr VS8.2
Appreciate 0