E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Cold start problem - engine shaking

11-23-2012, 04:55 PM   #1
Kevink92
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E92 sport

Cold start problem - engine shaking

FYI, this may be useful...

So my 335i is out of warranty now (4 years old and 52,000 kms) and I start to get the cold start problem of the engine shaking. After about 50 metres or so, it settles down and runs fine - until the next day. I thought it might be bad fuel or a blocked injector, so I put in a bottle of cleaner and topped up with 98. It didn't make any difference at all.....

I then checked out here that a SIB exists for faulty injectors, so I was hoping that this was the problem and that BMW would fix it. I printed out the SIB and booked the car into the dealer (only one in Adelaide).

I must say they were faultless, they acknowledged the known problem and replaced 2 bad injectors for no cost. In fact they brought up the SIB on their computer. Aparently only certain injectors are affected so they didn't replace the others.

I hope this helps, I dread to think how much this would have cost.......
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #2
Jin-ActiveMotorwerke
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW E46 330i

They have recall on the injectors for a while now.
Injectors gets scan and the database tells them which to replace.
From memory, each injector cost about $400.
Your exact same sympton might be cause by the high pressure fuel pump which is prone to fail on N54s.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2012, 03:03 PM   #3
Kevink92
Rep
Drives: '08 335i E92 sport

Good point. I never got any warning lights, long cranks or anything, just the shaking. I guess I was just concerned that they would deny the known problem and charge me. I've had a couple of other common issues that they fixed during warranty, but didn't admit that they were known problems. Maybe, it takes a little longer to get through here due to the low numbers of BMW's compared to NSW and VIC.
Appreciate 0