E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Why do I need factory fitted sat nav in my car?

12-08-2012, 02:08 PM   #45
PixelVogue
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Why???

Firstly so your car doesn't look so "basic"

Secondly because it's far more than just a sat Nav. It's a whole command unit.

It's 2012 Bruv, even my 118d loaner had one...
I found the car i was looking for grey with saddle brown interior, but why didnt i buy it? no f00kin sat nav, made the dash look just that basic!

approx 3k to get it retro fitted, sod that
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:28 PM   #46
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwp4me View Post
Good points. As I have said with some hostility is it worth the extra money for my wifes new car. I have all the info on my phone and when I had this in my R32 I was sat on my drive trying the DVD thinking why am I sat in my car when I can sit in my house and do this. All I have had is that my dashboard looks old and my car will not hold it's residual value without it. What car does?
You've had no hostility as far as I can see, you just keep banging on about what your phone does despite multiple people pointing out the differences and their opinion on why a built in sat nav is better. A lot of people have mentioned they won't buy a car without a built in sat nav/idrive, so that should tell you that when you come to sell the car, a high percentage of people wouldn't be interested in it as it has no satnav/idrive.

You've had a lot more than "all i have had is that my dashboard looks old and my car will not hold its residual value without it"...........you obviously haven't read the replies or just don't want to take any notice
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 02:55 PM   #47
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 320i M Sport

M

Last edited by Mwp4me; 12-09-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #48
335d Rocco
Major
England
Rep
Drives: G01 BMW X3 30d M Sport Plus

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwp4me View Post
Take your point but as I have said I have had all the TV/DVD players and factory sat / nav etc and never used it. As for residual value I bought a car many years ago and opted for factory leather. On px time I got the same value as the same without. I was told that the factory options I chose where where for my personal use and my enjoyment whilst I owned and used the car. I was told that when the dealer had to re sell my car the prospective purchaser may not want leather. I feel the point I am trying to attain is that dealers want to sell all these options but do we really need them. I have been VW for 20 yrs and heavily into factory options, when suddenly getting a job that involved 40,000 miles year I bought a GTTDi Golf. When it came to options my dealer said no, this is a tool to do your job and the options will not make any difference at re sale time. End of the day it's only the dealers who win. Being new to BMW I bought my car on looks not knowing everything e.g.. iDrive. My next BMW I will fully spec up and I bet again the amount of times I use the features I will count on one hand. Still my dash will look pretty and I will get so much more at px time. Not!!
Granted, the options are expensive at the time of order and some don't add any value come resale time, but options like satnav/idrive, leather and xenons do in my opinion add a premium to the price when coming to sell. A dealer will spout off about the extras adding no value because they want to give you as little as possible, that's the reason that apart from my last car, I always sell mine privately before I buy my next car.

I think if you got a car with idrive/satnav in the future, you'd change your mind after a while and see how handy it is, it's a lot more than a satnav, hope you managed to be convinced someday
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:36 PM   #49
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Instead of listening to a salesperson regarding RV's, I'd rather pay attention to a finance company; when you lease a car the cost of any option which does not add any money to a cars RV will be calculated as: cost/term.

So, as rough rule of thumb, £30/month per £1,000 of options on a 3 year lease.

On many cars where options like leather and nav are almost expected (so not on a Kia) those options will cost substantially less than that, meaning the costs are partially recoverable for the finance company through an enhanced RV.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 03:54 PM   #50
Teutonicdriver
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Business Edition

I cant really see why you even asked the question because you had answered it yourself before even posting. If your happy with your phone then thats very nice.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #51
agent003
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Dont have one yet (BMW) :(

Personally, im still looking for a car to buy....must be e91 (touring) must be manual, must not be silver, must be m sport and must have i-drive. Take any of those away and it really boils down to must be dirt cheap!

I dont consider the above to be a general rule, only my personal choice.

Tbh, and i can only speak for what ive had, e9x series bmw dashboards look pants in comparison to the e30, e36 and e46. Very boring unless it has the idrive unit. All the mentioned previous dashboards were very much with the driver in mind ie. contoured towards the driver (hence why I love Alfas interiors, just a shame they Italian temperament )

If you have the money to burn, buy with your heart, if you haven't.......
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #52
lemans 330d
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 330d M sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uk 330d View Post
You've had no hostility as far as I can see, you just keep banging on about what your phone does despite multiple people pointing out the differences and their opinion on why a built in sat nav is better. A lot of people have mentioned they won't buy a car without a built in sat nav/idrive, so that should tell you that when you come to sell the car, a high percentage of people wouldn't be interested in it as it has no satnav/idrive.

You've had a lot more than "all i have had is that my dashboard looks old and my car will not hold its residual value without it"...........you obviously haven't read the replies or just don't want to take any notice
It looks as though this guy is out to take the pi**.
He will probably dosent even know what car to buy and then when he finds one the facelift model will be coming out by the time he decides how to pay for it.
      12-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #53
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep

M

Last edited by Mwp4me; 12-09-2012 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:02 PM   #54
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

So, you're doing the job of the finance company; that doesn't change the principle that, on certain cars (including BMW's) the expectation of certain options (such as leather and navigation) will have a profound effect on RV - debit card, cash, finance, lease - the mode of finance doesn't change anything. The initial outlay at point of purchase will be partially recovered at time of sale - the difference is the actual cost to you over the duration of ownership.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:42 PM   #55
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep

M

Last edited by Mwp4me; 12-09-2012 at 05:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 05:59 PM   #56
225_AB
Major
Rep
Drives: M235i

Garage List
2014 M235i  [0.00]
2009 BMW 330D  [0.00]
Mate you have clearly made you mind up. If you don't want I drive don't get it. You don't really want an opinion do you. There has been no hostility just lots of reasons why some of us love I drive. I wouldn't have a BMW without it a having used it. It's your money so if you can't afford it don't buy it, if you can afford it its well worth it.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #57
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

No, what I'm saying is a standard car is £20k and a car with idrive is £22k.
When you sell the (hypothetical) cars the standard car is worth £10k and the car with idrive is worth £11k. So the cost of having idrive over your period of ownership is £1k.

Will it make the car better to drive? Of course not. It won't accelerate harder, stop better or go round corners generating more g. Will it make the ownership experience nicer? Only you can answer that. For me, yes it is. I ordered my E92 without it and I regretted it. I won't order another car again without, what I consider to be a central part of a cars command experience (desperately searching for a non-poncy description and clearly failed) - its so much more than navigation.

It sounds to me like, regardless of what reasons are tabled, you aren't buying into that theory, so you've answered your own question. Threads like this generally degenerate into scrappy arguments, because you're looking to play devils advocate and be convinced, and the masses trying to convince you soon tire of having their posts shot down.

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 06:26 PM   #58
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep

M

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #59
raf555
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Mods plz close this pointless thread!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:21 PM   #60
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep

M

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:22 PM   #61
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep

M

Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:23 PM   #62
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
In with my tuppence worth. When I bought my E92 I didn't spec nav or bluetooth. Firstly being a tight wad, I felt that BMW were taking the piss wanting a shade over £2,500 for these items. The bluetooth didn't work with a great range of phones, and the nav didn't accept full post codes so they were inferior products at a superior price.

But at least it was mildly better value than the five series because you paid just about the same when you already had i-drive and a screen.

If it had cost a bit less I would have taken it because it isn't just sat nav but the entire centre control system for the car covering navigation, air conditioning/heating, sound, and telephone control.

With the bluetooth telematics selected also, you get the emergency services system (if an air bag goes off it phones the emergency services and gives your location.

It has a hard drive and a DVD player so your record collection can be downloaded to the car - no need of discs or multi changers in the boot. You can download internet stuff, updates for maps, you can send routes from your PC to the car if you want and I believe there are quite a few more functions which may or may not appeal to you.

So, you get quite a lot for your cash above and beyond the nav. It isn't really two grand for Nav alone, and I fancy the other facilities that are now available (since I bought my E92) more than I do the Nav which I have only needed once in the last five years.

Despite your valid comments about dealers maintaining that options are for your own enjoyment there are several options that make any car more easily sold. Leather, air conditioning, and built in sat-nav are three of them without question. (Indeed, if I was buying a 2nd hand E92 I wouldn't have bought one without it - maybe because there would have been no £2,500 extra label staring me in the face).

So I would see the positives in selecting it as all the other facilities that come with it, the integration of the system, makes it easier to sell when the time comes (private or trade) and you will actually get part of the extra cost back.

Negatives: if the facilities and integration don't appeal to you in the slightest, you rarely need the sat-nav, and you don't care about voice control and don't need hands free phoning, then paying thousands more for your car would indeed be madness.

There is a case for both sides of the argument and it's what suits you that counts, though I get the impression the salesman has bugged you by his attempted insistence on specifying nav - especially with such a large price tag!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:28 PM   #63
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep

M

Last edited by Mwp4me; 12-09-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #64
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep

M

Last edited by Mwp4me; 12-09-2012 at 05:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #65
raf555
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 320D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwp4me
Quote:
Originally Posted by raf555 View Post
Mods plz close this pointless thread!!!
Thanks for for opinions guys. But that's me done. Over and out. Account closed. Thought this was a constructive forum but obviously not.
For me it's a pointless thread simply because you are asking for people's views then are just disregarding them for your own view that u had prior to opening this thread?!

So why ask?

If you stick around you will get to know how helpful and useful this forum really is...
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2012, 07:59 PM   #66
Mwp4me
Banned
Rep

M

Last edited by Mwp4me; 12-09-2012 at 05:03 PM..
Appreciate 0