E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > AWD trifecta issues

11-23-2021, 11:58 AM   #1
ezadel
Rep
Drives: 328xi wagon

AWD trifecta issues

Hello everyone:
I have been reading those forums for a while and finally decided to post. I have an E91 2008 328xi 120,000 miles ( recently bought)
I got the trifecta lights AWD, DSC, ABS
Got INPA and ISTA/D and got the following codes: 578E, 54C6, 55C3, 54C8, D104, 5F39, D904, E104 and E5C4
so I thought by replacing the transfer case servo motor and the transfer case and transmission fluids.
Here's what I am worried about I hear conflicting opinions about transmission and transfer case fluid changes.. some say that changing these fluids will ruin my transmission and transfer case (because I have the wear codes and they probably never been changed)...
should I change the fluids?
Any other advice on my codes/repair plan?
Thanks a bunch and looking forward to hear from you
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2021, 12:11 PM   #2
Brian86
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 M3, e91 325xi, N50 Xterra

Changing fluids won't ruin anything. That's silly.

If it's worn out, it's worn out. New fluid or old.

I think there was some talk on the general forum about not resetting adaptation values on the transmission because it takes an eternity to re-learn, and the system will 'adapt' more swiftly than it will 'relearn'

This is probably correct. My engine took like 3 weeks to rev and drive right after I reset all the adaptations shortly after I purchased it and after doing a bunch of maintenance.

Transfer case adaptation resets are uneventful. You won't even notice it happening. They are required when changing mechanical parts otherwise the computer will continue to be angry with you.
      11-23-2021, 12:15 PM   #3
ezadel
Rep

Thanks. I ll change both fluids the servo motor and hope for the best
Do I need Ista/F to readapt? or can I used ista/D or Inpa. What is the procedure for resetting Transfer case on ista/D
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2021, 09:26 PM   #4
ezadel
Rep

Help. I just changed servo motor and TF oil still has same error. I tried to rest the transfer case but ista D said function could not be perfomed without fault. Please help. I dont know what to do now
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2021, 10:41 AM   #5
andy_06xi
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi

Could be a bad wheel sensor

A bad wheel sensor is a common problem and will cause this. Without a good scan tool -- it will be difficult to identify which one is the problem.

I used a Foxwell scanner to identify my problem and it correctly pointed to the left front sensor. Swapping a sensor is pretty straightforward. Sometimes the sensor ring develops rust and takes out the sensor -- so cleaning the sensor ring is a good idea as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2021, 10:55 AM   #6
m_thompson
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M-Sport 128i, 328xi, 3.0CS

Garage List
2009 128i  [0.00]
1972 3.0CS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_06xi View Post
A bad wheel sensor is a common problem and will cause this. Without a good scan tool -- it will be difficult to identify which one is the problem.

Sometimes the sensor ring develops rust and takes out the sensor -- so cleaning the sensor ring is a good idea as well.
We also had the lights on the dash. We cleaned the reluctor ring and replaced the ABS sensor. That fix lasted about two years. This time we had to replace the axle and the sensor. We used a GKN axle because it was 1/2 the price of one from the dealer.
      03-14-2023, 08:16 PM   #7
ezadel
Rep

I realized I never updated this. Turned out both my trasnfer case and motor were bad. I bought a used transfer case a new motor put them in my self ...Replaced motor first but the gear inside the transfer case itself was broken and not meshing with servo motor. Tried the old servo motor and it was bad probably due to trasnfer case itself breaking it. Changed TC fluid and everythimg been working for over a year now
Appreciate 1
      03-14-2023, 08:17 PM   #8
ezadel
Rep

Also I replaced my transmission fluid/pan/filter and was uneventful
Appreciate 1