E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Misfire after changing the starter?!

06-15-2021, 09:29 PM   #1
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport

Unhappy Misfire after changing the starter?!

Hello, I replaced my starter on my N52 and everything went fine. The car had no engine codes prior. After finishing the starter replacement I started the car up and has a misfire on cyl 1. Changed spark plug and coil. Misfire on cyl 1 remained. Not sure where to go from here. Car is running a little wonky lol. Im thinking that MAYBE some debris got into the intake port and went into cyl 1 when replacing the starter since I had to take the intake manifold off. If that's the case is there a way to clean the intake port? Any other suggestions on what this could be?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 10:18 PM   #2
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 328xi

Go over what you moved maybe you indeed threw something down that port since it's the closest one to the front of the engine and if you just unbolted the manifold and swung it off to the side instead of completely removing it, then that's the most open one. I'd still check over pcv connections and all that, even though they would probably cause an issue in all cylinders.

I'd take off the manifold bolts which is not hard at all and have a visual look at the port. If everything is fine then I'd swap it's injector with one from say #2
      06-15-2021, 11:43 PM   #3
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92_William View Post
Go over what you moved maybe you indeed threw something down that port since it's the closest one to the front of the engine and if you just unbolted the manifold and swung it off to the side instead of completely removing it, then that's the most open one. I'd still check over pcv connections and all that, even though they would probably cause an issue in all cylinders.

I'd take off the manifold bolts which is not hard at all and have a visual look at the port. If everything is fine then I'd swap it's injector with one from say #2

Thank you for the info! I talked to someone else and they mentioned I could of snagged my crank shaft sensor and slightly unplugged it when removing my starter since its right underneath. Going to check that out tomorrow.

If the crank shaft sensor seems plugged in and good im going to open up the manifold again like you explained and look in there in cyl 1. Not really sure if id see anything because anything that got in there is probably in the cyl? Not sure how that would work. Ill also check the gasket on cyl 1 on the manifold. Maybe it fell off?

If none of those things work ill either swap the injectors or just buy 1 new injector. If that doesn't fix the problem then idk lol.

Is there anything I can do or spray in the intake port to lets say "clean" it out if any debris got in there? Also would a little sand in there cause the misfire? Im not sure how sensitive this area of the engine is. Ill assume its really sensitive though.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 12:57 AM   #4
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

Hopefully it's just an injector or something like that. It's actually very unlikely for something to be large enough to not just get sucked into the cylinder and out the exhaust, not the first time one of these engines has eaten a whole plastic disa valve shaft and didn't feel it. Worth having a look either way; same with that crankshaft sensor since it's really close to that starter down there, I think your idea of a gasket maybe falling out is good to check too
      06-16-2021, 01:30 AM   #5
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Hopefully it's just an injector or something like that. It's actually very unlikely for something to be large enough to not just get sucked into the cylinder and out the exhaust, not the first time one of these engines has eaten a whole plastic disa valve shaft and didn't feel it. Worth having a look either way; same with that crankshaft sensor since it's really close to that starter down there, I think your idea of a gasket maybe falling out is good to check too
Yeah ill report back tmrw. I saw you mentioned the PCV but im not getting any vacuum or fuel type codes so I ruled it out.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 09:12 AM   #6
dpaul
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335xi, 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_e90 View Post
Yeah ill report back tmrw. I saw you mentioned the PCV but im not getting any vacuum or fuel type codes so I ruled it out.
What codes are you getting?
Appreciate 1
      06-16-2021, 08:32 PM   #7
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaul View Post
What codes are you getting?
Only code I got was the misfire on cyl 1. Thats it lol. Changed the plugs and coils. Could be the injector? Its just weird bc I didnt have this issue before I changed the starter. I must've did something?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2021, 06:43 AM   #8
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

it's easy to swap an injector to another cylinder.
do that, see if the misfire follows the part.

I'd double check that it's actually making contact in the plug.
Appreciate 1
      06-18-2021, 01:11 AM   #9
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
it's easy to swap an injector to another cylinder.
do that, see if the misfire follows the part.

I'd double check that it's actually making contact in the plug.
Im just going to order a new injector and hope that's the issue. Again, just weird this happened after changing the starter b/c it was all good before.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:00 PM   #10
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Anyone else have a clue? lol
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2021, 08:09 PM   #11
E92_William
Captain
United_States
Rep

I would have switched the injector before outright ordering one, might just waste time and money with it
      06-18-2021, 08:15 PM   #12
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I would have switched the injector before outright ordering one, might just waste time and money with it
I just bought a remanufactured one around $30 so not a big deal. I think they are still the factory injectors and im at 173k so it could use a new one anyway. If I change it and the problem doesn't go away then I might have worse issues.... I just don't want to take it to bmw or a independent shop just yet b/c I know they will want to do a bunch of stuff. It just sucks b/c the car ran like butter before and I would say im pretty mechanically inclined to figure out simple issues. I just cant figure this out
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2021, 10:52 AM   #13
ZGator
Private
Rep
Drives: E90 328xi, E36/7 Z3 2.3

I would suggest looking at the injector wiring connector - did you remove the injector wiring harness during starter install?
Appreciate 0