E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > N52 header options help

06-27-2015, 12:41 AM   #23
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 328i Sedan

I'm still wondering if I should do AA or AFE, emissions be damned, I'l grease the tech to pass!
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 12:45 AM   #24
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 07-E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle1oh7
I'm still wondering if I should do AA or AFE, emissions be damned, I'l grease the tech to pass!
I know man AA is the perfect price but non emission compliant and too loud.

AFE is legal and fucking keeps going up in price, WTF??? It went from 1400-1500-now fucking 1800 full retail price. They just keep raising it..I'm going with AFE just waiting on a sale.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 12:55 AM   #25
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoye90 View Post

AFE is legal and fucking keeps going up in price, WTF??? It went from 1400-1500-now fucking 1800 full retail price. They just keep raising it..I'm going with AFE just waiting on a sale.
Man I don't give two fucks about noise level. Right now my AFE and full Eisenmann exhaust sounds pretty good, going completely catless won't bother me.
DONE: Seibon CF Hood, M3 Rep, MSport rear w/DD CF Diffuser, M3 Rep Skirts, Seibon CSL trunklid, Forgestar F14 18s w/Michelin PSS, Eisenmann catback, AA Headers, BPC Stage 2, Charcoal Delete+revMotor+AFE Drop In filter
FUTURE MODS: LED headlights, CF rooftop, M3 Suspension Conversion, Dinan CAI Mod
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 12:57 AM   #26
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Man I don't give two fucks about noise level. Right now my AFE and full Eisenmann exhaust sounds pretty good, going completely catless won't bother me.
Then go AA. The noise and emission thing is the only thing stopping me. I have 1000 saved up ready to go just waiting and saving more..
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 02:01 AM   #27
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Quote:

HAHAHA there you go you'll love it. And regardless what people tell you, the RIGHT set up will make a difference. Don't get me wrong, it'll still be loud but it won't be obnoxious at all times. I love my AA headers, AFE mids, oem resonator and custom rear quads. Ivan at StrasseSport, the M Shop and Offset Motorworks love my set up!

And btw, you can definitely find a GOOD *wink wink* smog tech.
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 07:39 PM   #28
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Then go AA. The noise and emission thing is the only thing stopping me. I have 1000 saved up ready to go just waiting and saving more..
But doesn't AA offer a tune to modify the lights so you can pass emissions?

They're working with me on some issues I am having because the flow is much more than stock programming.
      06-27-2015, 07:43 PM   #29
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:

It's worth noting that with AFE Catted headers and a 2nd cat delete you can cause the O2 errors as a delete.

From my research/experience and notes - it appears the stock BMW ECU has a range of OK flow, when you add high flow cats WITH deleting the 2ndary it's my THEORY that the flow in combo with back pressure can fault these sensors.

I contacted AFE and they advised me to re torque, etc etc. I did and it came back on 100 miles later. Funny thing is, after another 100 miles my SES light goes away; however, my digital vent gauge still shows 2 errors. Now, here's the kicker, as the light went off, I wanted to test it, so I did the emissions and I passed.

I'm not really sure what's going on. But it's something to keep in mind. If I Had known this, I would have gone with AA catless headers since I'm going to end up getting it coded out regardless.....
      06-27-2015, 11:21 PM   #30
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmnot
Quote:

It's worth noting that with AFE Catted headers and a 2nd cat delete you can cause the O2 errors as a delete.

From my research/experience and notes - it appears the stock BMW ECU has a range of OK flow, when you add high flow cats WITH deleting the 2ndary it's my THEORY that the flow in combo with back pressure can fault these sensors.

I contacted AFE and they advised me to re torque, etc etc. I did and it came back on 100 miles later. Funny thing is, after another 100 miles my SES light goes away; however, my digital vent gauge still shows 2 errors. Now, here's the kicker, as the light went off, I wanted to test it, so I did the emissions and I passed.

I'm not really sure what's going on. But it's something to keep in mind. If I Had known this, I would have gone with AA catless headers since I'm going to end up getting it coded out regardless.....
AFE website also states that the AFE mid pipe is made to be paired with their AFE header. This combo should not cause 2ndary O2 faults..hack just to confirm yours is faulting and you had to flash for cat delete tune to clear the code correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:27 PM   #31
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

They're working with me on some issues I am having because the flow is much more than stock programming.
Yes AA can pass with the flash tune, I read that somewhere on this forum some member who passed nyc emissions. This is the type of info that will fuck you if its not true, lmao. Which is why I wanted the AFE and it's also posted on their site 50 state legal.
Which AFE SHOULD PROVIDE CARB STICKER FOR...
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2015, 11:48 PM   #32
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinoye90
Quote:
Quote:

Yes AA can pass with the flash tune, I read that somewhere on this forum some member who passed nyc emissions. This is the type of info that will fuck you if its not true, lmao. Which is why I wanted the AFE and it's also posted on their site 50 state legal.
Which AFE SHOULD PROVIDE CARB STICKER FOR...
It will pass you thru emissions if they don't conduct visual during your test. Believe me, we have the worst smog regulations here in Cali and some places still do visuals and won't pass the headers...BUT if they "only" plug into your OBD then you'll pass because the AA tune codes out the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT aka CEL from your vehice. So, No, it won't fuck you over.
Performance Mods: ST Coilovers | R1 Concepts Premier Rotors w/Hawk HPS Pads | ECS Stainless Steel Brake Lines | OEM 219M Wheels | Bridgestone Potenza RE760 | Precision Euro Spacers | AA Race Headers | AFE Race Midpipes | Remus Powersound Quad Exhaust | AA Offroad Tune | RevMotoring Intake Pipe | Cyba Scoops
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 12:10 AM   #33
94marcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i 6MT

AA doesn't code out the catalytic converters readiness to say complete, it says incomplete as opposed to failed so depending on your state and how many you need to pass..... (idk if its smart to put this out there)
      06-28-2015, 12:35 AM   #34
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 94marcus
AA doesn't code out the catalytic converters readiness to say complete, it says incomplete as opposed to failed so depending on your state and how many you need to pass..... (idk if its smart to put this out there)
Right, so depending on what state, you'll only need certain incompletes/completes to pass. But yea, you're right...lips zipped. DM us if you need help or explaining.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:53 AM   #35
pinoye90
Banned
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94marcus
Does this include the state of AZ?
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 11:28 AM   #36
94marcus
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 328i 6MT

Quote:
im not sure youd have to ask around in the regional forums for your state. I live in Cali and after reading mmmnot is still having problems with his AFE headers i might just go with AA and pray my smog shop skips a visual.... does anyone know how many readiness test you need complete in cali???

Last edited by 94marcus; 06-28-2015 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2015, 01:57 PM   #37
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
AFE website also states that the AFE mid pipe is made to be paired with their AFE header. This combo should not cause 2ndary O2 faults..hack just to confirm yours is faulting and you had to flash for cat delete tune to clear the code correct?
Yeah, this is true. However, I guess it depends on all the mods. They also state on the site it is for track only cars, not meant for roads. So, I mean as far as I see it - it's just legal liabilities. I'm not knocking them for that, and it might be a case by case thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim07e90 View Post
It will pass you thru emissions if they don't conduct visual during your test. Believe me, we have the worst smog regulations here in Cali and some places still do visuals and won't pass the headers...BUT if they "only" plug into your OBD then you'll pass because the AA tune codes out the CHECK ENGINE LIGHT aka CEL from your vehice. So, No, it won't fuck you over.
Well, it's not the CEL - it's the SES light. I think this makes it easier for it to be overlooked. At least, that's what happened to me.

When I had the SES light on, it went away after a little bit, and when I did my emissions I talked to the kid working the machine and he said it showed 2 codes for insufficient flow but said it did not have a SES or CEL on, so it should pass. It did. in GA.

Each state has different thresholds for what passes. Luckily, down here there's no visual so the software takes care of everything, theoretically.
      06-28-2015, 01:58 PM   #38
mmmnot
Custom User Title
Iran
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 94marcus View Post
im not sure youd have to ask around in the regional forums for your state. I live in Cali and after reading mmmnot is still having problems with his AFE headers i might just go with AA and pray my smog shop skips a visual.... does anyone know how many readiness test you need complete in cali???
Well, I have the 2nd delete and full exhaust. I am not sure if its just me or the combo of mods. I wonder if anybody else has the AFE headers have similar problems?

I highly doubt it's my actual sensors as the car only has 65K miles.
      06-29-2015, 02:17 PM   #39
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
The state of Arizona only requires 7 of 8 ready codes so you would pass emissions here.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:40 PM   #40
klick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i M Sport 6MT

Quote:
Quote:
California changed the smog laws recently and now we cannot have any incomplete or failed checks in order to pass. This means that even with the AA tune removing the SES or CEL, the OBD2 test will show that the O2 sensor check is incomplete and we will automatically fail.

Tough times for us out here in Cali, the other 49 states, you will pass with the AA tune...
E82 128i M-Sport 6MT - Black Metallic Sapphire - MFactory Helical LSD, Koni Yellow Sport Dampers, Swift Spec-R Springs, E90 M3 Front Sway Bar, M3 Front Control Arm Set, Whiteline Rear Subframe Bushings, Stoptech Stainless Steel Brake Lines, Michelin Pilot Super Sport Tires, Active Autowerke N52 Tune, aFe Magnum FORCE Stage-2 CAI, Active Autowerke Headers, Custom Muffler Delete, BMW Performance SSK, ZHP Shift Knob, eBay Clutch Stop
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2015, 05:53 PM   #41
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
I passed in NY with my stage 3 tune and catless headers

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix

Last edited by Mike.; 06-30-2015 at 05:46 AM..
Appreciate 1
      06-30-2015, 12:06 AM   #42
Tim07e90
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 328i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by klick
Quote:
Quote:
California changed the smog laws recently and now we cannot have any incomplete or failed checks in order to pass. This means that even with the AA tune removing the SES or CEL, the OBD2 test will show that the O2 sensor check is incomplete and we will automatically fail.

Tough times for us out here in Cali, the other 49 states, you will pass with the AA tune...
Yup that's why I have some shops willing to help *wink wink* lol
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2015, 05:47 AM   #43
Mike.
Mike: Everyone's Pal
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2013 BMW 335xi  [10.00]
i heard the evolve tune turns the sensors down...so they won't show incomplete

Alpine MSS Stage 2+ E30 tune|MST Intakes|VRSF Single Mid Pipe|Agency Power Intercooler|VTT Full solution crank hub fix
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2015, 11:19 AM   #44
Eagle1oh7
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yup that's why I have some shops willing to help *wink wink* lol
Who?! Where?!
Appreciate 0