Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Twix’s WORK

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

05-24-2021, 08:46 PM   #1
Twix
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 e91

Garage List
Twix’s WORK

The back story. Way back time I ordered a set of wheels for my then ‘14 X1. I ended up buying a set of Works. The last set. Number 10 of 10. I wanted all chrome/high polish to really bling against the BSM paint. I got denied. They told me silver or gold. I asked about something different, and was told no again. After a number of calls and emails, they finally agreed to paint the centres MHG, matte bronze metallic. I was stoked.

4 months later the wheels arrived at the shop. Disappointment. The fronts were the wrong back pad and the barrels were the wrong widths. Sent them back and after 4 long months they arrived, correct. Got them on the car and they looked ok. The polished lips were barely shiny, but it would have to do. I rode these wheels for 2 years and then traded my X1 in. Packed the wheels in my basement where they sat in darkness for close to 5 years.

I’ve recently started to clean them up to put on my e91. The original specs were 19x8.5 et27 front, m disk, polished lips with natural inner barrels, and matte bronze centres, rears are 19x10 et34. I started off with the removal of the anodizing of the outer lips. Or so I thought. I dropped a wheel in a bath of caustic soda and all I got out was a badly pitted wheel. I called the shop I bought these wheels at, did some research online and found misleading info. They’re not anodized outers, just the inners have the hard anodized coating.

After that, I decided to have a pro strip them. Looked around and found a reputable shop here in Calgary to strip the paint and anodizing. When I picked them up, I really didn’t like how boring they looked. So I sat and thought about whether to polish, or powder coat. I’ve decided to do both.

Had a place recommended by the plating shop to do the coating. Dropped off the wheels and had the inner barrels powdered in carbon black. And now, I’m sanding and polishing the outer lips by hand.

Here’s the process. 180 grit, 320 grit, 600 grit, 1000 grit, 2000 grit, and then, 3000 grit. The first two steps are done dry, the last is all done wet, but not with water. WD-40. So far, I have one wheel ready for the polishing wheel.
Attached Images

2002 Land Rover Discovery II - 3" lift & 33s
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2021, 10:45 AM   #2
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

this post triggered my hands to start aching.
Appreciate 1
Vivek.1363.50