E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2009 E93 335i cv top issue

06-14-2021, 05:11 AM   #1
SkippyE93
Rep
Drives: 335i conv

2009 E93 335i cv top issue

Hello, having issues with my convertible top. Just got this and apparently the top has not been used for years. It moves up and down but I need to give it a little assistance. It opens fully but when I close it it closes fully but the green light does not stop and then when I let go the red light begins to flash.

I noticed when it opens, it seems a little stuck in the driver front corner of the windshield, I have to help it out.

In the trunk, in the black pan that holds the motor I noticed that there is some fluid on the right side, But not much it's just kind of wet. Some type of clear lubricant. The rest is dry.

At the motor, I have unplugged and replug the blue and the black connector, and the two orange relays. I have ordered two new orange relays but they won't be here until Thursday. Any troubleshooting tips? Since the red light won't stop flashing I cannot raise the windows and the trunk only operates with the key, not the fob.

Also, I am new to all of this, any suggestions on an OBD reader that will show fault codes for the convertible top as well?

Thanks a lot
2009 E93 335i cv top problem
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 06:52 AM   #2
TunafishE93
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Heres a manual.. Dont think the relays are going to fix the issue, they work or they dont, not usaully an inbetween with them.

Sounds like your roof is not locking but it could be just a sensor also. The only OBD reader i know of is Protools app that you will have to get a cable or wirelss adaptor. I am not sure other hand helds can read the CTM module.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf e93hardtop.pdf (1.26 MB, 121 views)
Appreciate 1
      06-14-2021, 09:25 AM   #3
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunafishE93 View Post
Heres a manual.. Dont think the relays are going to fix the issue, they work or they dont, not usaully an inbetween with them.

Sounds like your roof is not locking but it could be just a sensor also. The only OBD reader i know of is Protools app that you will have to get a cable or wirelss adaptor. I am not sure other hand helds can read the CTM module.
Thank you. The sensor I'm waiting on is AUTOPHIX BMW Diagnostic Scanner Tool ,Enhanced BMW 7910 Multi-System OBD2 I'm waiting on a reply from the vendor to see if it does the CTM module.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:22 AM   #4
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkippyE93 View Post
Quote:

Thank you. The sensor I'm waiting on is AUTOPHIX BMW Diagnostic Scanner Tool ,Enhanced BMW 7910 Multi-System OBD2 I'm waiting on a reply from the vendor to see if it does the CTM module.
Tunafishe93

I do not see the attachment if you wouldn't mind checking thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 12:23 PM   #5
TunafishE93
Major
Rep

Its a pdf file, i checked and it downloaded for me.. I think i have it on mega too https://mega.nz/file/xLoAwZDC#3B-1a8...GbXMeJyqLk5-M4
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 04:29 PM   #6
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Its a pdf file, i checked and it downloaded for me.. I think i have it on mega too https://mega.nz/file/xLoAwZDC#3B-1a8...GbXMeJyqLk5-M4
Got it thank you! Yes it open for me!

I definitely have more troubleshooting to do!
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2021, 11:34 PM   #7
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 Genesis sedan 3.8 AWD

There's to spring-loaded "sensors" for lack of a better term that the pins from the top latch into. It sound like one of yours is broken and needs to be replaced.

I can't speak on the clear lubricant as mine is dry and I have no idea what color the lubricant in our tops motors is. I'd assume that's what it is as I couldn't think of anything else in the area that would/could collect there. Keep your eyes peeled for an e93 part out as I've seen used motors in good shape go for a few hundred dollars.

I bought a good OBD reader, used it a handful of times and haven't touched it again since I bought the Bimmergeeks protool. It does everything the scanner does and more.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:46 AM   #8
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fgpalmer71 View Post
There's to spring-loaded "sensors" for lack of a better term that the pins from the top latch into. It sound like one of yours is broken and needs to be replaced.

I can't speak on the clear lubricant as mine is dry and I have no idea what color the lubricant in our tops motors is. I'd assume that's what it is as I couldn't think of anything else in the area that would/could collect there. Keep your eyes peeled for an e93 part out as I've seen used motors in good shape go for a few hundred dollars.

I bought a good OBD reader, used it a handful of times and haven't touched it again since I bought the Bimmergeeks protool. It does everything the scanner does and more.
Thanks. I just read up on the tool it looks awesome and easy I'm gonna try to go that way. Which license did you buy? On the frame of the top where the pins go down, I noticed one of the latches has a spring-loaded pin in it and the right one does not. Is that normal? The right one does not have a spring-loaded pin in it. There's definitely something wrong where it closes on the top window I noticed it kind of Hass to shift a little to get into the holes. That is why when I open it it won't open, I have to pop up the driver side a little bit to get it to start to go down.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 08:50 AM   #9
TunafishE93
Major
Rep

Yes its normal.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:13 AM   #10
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Man...tunafishE93 has been a huge help to me and I believe he's more in tune with this stuff them myself at this point....but....I do not believe that to be normal. BOTH sides should have a spring loaded pressure switch and BOTH should be functional. You can stick a pencil in the little hole and make sure it's working properly. If it's not your top will slam shut and you're going to experience various issues with the opening and closing....like you are now.

I walked away from 2 other E93's last year after the PPI's brought up this issue. At that time I was unaware of how easily it can be DIY'd.....but I like the car I ended up with better then the others. A tech at a shop in Dallas, TX is the one who put me up on the pin issue.

Double check me though.....it wouldn't be the 1st time I've been wrong, but I'm 99% sure I'm on target on this one.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:14 AM   #11
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

I bought the super license a year ago. It's paid for itself already.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:41 AM   #12
TunafishE93
Major
Rep

I could be wrong what we are talking about but what i am talking about is the "Cowl panel reached" Microswitch.. Its on page 33 of PDF and is described as on left side of car. That is what i was referring to as normal, for the right not to have one. Its not normal how the top is operating though.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 11:48 AM   #13
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
I could be wrong what we are talking about but what i am talking about is the "Cowl panel reached" Microswitch.. Its on page 33 of PDF and is described as on left side of car. That is what i was referring to as normal, for the right not to have one. Its not normal how the top is operating though.
Correct it is the "Cowl panel reached" that I wanted to make sure only had a pin on the left. It is the left side that sticks.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 03:37 PM   #14
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yep, we were on different pages...I was referring to the 2 holes on the top of the windshield that the metal pins on the leading edge of the top fit into.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:34 PM   #15
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Yep, we were on different pages...I was referring to the 2 holes on the top of the windshield that the metal pins on the leading edge of the top fit into.
Well yes that part too! The plates that are at the top of the windshield that have the metal pin in it, the one on the driver side has a pin the one on the passenger side only has a hole. Is that one supposed to have a pin a spring pin as well?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:36 PM   #16
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well yes that part too! The plates that are at the top of the windshield that have the metal pin in it, the one on the driver side has a pin the one on the passenger side only has a hole. Is that one supposed to have a pin a spring pin as well?
Also I was not able to find these parts online. Do I have to buy them from the dealer? Any suggestions?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 04:59 PM   #17
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Yes, they BOTH should have a pin and a spring. The pin in the passenger side of mine is no longer moving freely. I have a line on a member partout, just waiting for him to get back to me with a price and timeline. My top operates fine save for the nice slam at the end of every close.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 05:32 PM   #18
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
Yes, they BOTH should have a pin and a spring. The pin in the passenger side of mine is no longer moving freely. I have a line on a member partout, just waiting for him to get back to me with a price and timeline. My top operates fine save for the nice slam at the end of every close.
My latches from the top do not line up exactly with the holes on the windshield. I think they're off about half a centimeter. So it goes in a little crooked and then straightens out and then fully closes. But then the red light continues to flash.

Does your flash red or does it shut off.

Unrelated, I don't think there's enough power in the motor because it won't come out of the trunk on its own without pulling up on it a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 06:05 PM   #19
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

My top works fine. The ONLY time the light on the lever flashes and the top icon flashes up on the center display is when I've released the button prematurely. Currently my only issue is that the top slams shut. Originally it closed softly and the only real noise was the locking mechanisms closing. Once the pressure switch (for lack of a better term, I think we're all on the same page) broke the top closes as usual....but the last inch or 2 is now as if the whole thing says F it and it falls shut with a thud.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2021, 07:48 PM   #20
SkippyE93
Rep

Quote:
My top works fine. The ONLY time the light on the lever flashes and the top icon flashes up on the center display is when I've released the button prematurely. Currently my only issue is that the top slams shut. Originally it closed softly and the only real noise was the locking mechanisms closing. Once the pressure switch (for lack of a better term, I think we're all on the same page) broke the top closes as usual....but the last inch or 2 is now as if the whole thing says F it and it falls shut with a thud.
Wow, got it. So what do you think it is?
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 01:26 AM   #21
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, got it. So what do you think it is?
My opinion is that the cause of your opening issues is indeed that metal spring-loaded pressure switch at the top of the windshield. I'm pretty sure that replacing it would alleviate your need to help the top open. As far as where to find them I've seen them listed on ebay. I'll try to find the actual part #.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2021, 01:34 AM   #22
fgpalmer71
Captain
United_States
Rep

Part # 7181203; 54377181203

https://www.ebay.com/itm/184580228137
Appreciate 0