E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Flash vs Piggy-back......thinking the flash has the advantage.

05-12-2008, 05:13 PM   #89
Lane
Several N54 cars, V1,3, V2.0.2, and V3.1
Rep
Drives: N54s

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
There is also one for the cat backpressure.

xxxxx: KL_AUSY_KAT (hPa) - Cat backpressure = f( Mssol (kg/h) )

0.0 100.0 200.0 300.0 400.0 600.0 800.0 1000.0

0.0 24.0 70.0 125.0 190.0 328.0 460.0 594.0

594hPa (8.6 psi) of backpressure at 1000 kg/hr flow.

The whole thing is mapped out because the DME is actually running a real-time
gas law model of the engine.
Very impressive. You definitely know what you control and how. It looks like people will get the optimal tune for their e.g. MaxLogic intake, UR DPs, Borla mufflers, AA IC....whatever... combo
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 05:15 PM   #90
lndshrk
Chief Shark Officer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i, 08 M3, 00 MZ3 & more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post
Very impressive. You definitely know what you control and how. It looks like people will get the optimal tune for their e.g. MaxLogic intake, UR DPs, Borla mufflers, AA IC....whatever... combo
Yes...

Both Shark Edit - AND - the Dinan stages are based on the same theory.

That you need to have your software and your hardware mods "in sync".

Dinan picks the hardware and tunes for it.

We allow the owner to pick his hardware and tune for it.

It's the very reason we put Shark Edit before the Shark Injector for the 335i.

There are simply "too many options" that people are choosing from as to
tuning components for a "one size fits all" tune.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:06 PM   #91
Topless///M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 335i 6mt, 94 probe gt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lane View Post

For the OP, I doubt there will be much more power related items that can be controlled by flash to achieve a lot more hp. The faster reactions by avoiding the extra wiring of piggies is merely theoretical, not worth much hp. The type of gains you mentioned, 5-20whp, can be gained by custom tuning that just happens to be announced to be widely available in flash form.

thanks for the reply,

I'm guessing since no one but you replied to me directly, it's up in the air. I thought since you have control over so many more variables than a piggy you could scrape more power out of the tune. Whether it's 5, 10, or 40hp, who knows, but I thought it could be possible. I guess we'll find out when the SE comes out....

you guys killed my thread.....lol
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:09 PM   #92
Robertbog
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topless///M View Post
you guys killed my thread.....lol
Collateral damage lol.

Yeah sorry but I learned a lot about dinan and JimC's little operation thanks to it. So thank you sir, and my PM box.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2008, 07:17 PM   #93
mistermojorizin
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by lndshrk View Post
We allow the owner to pick his hardware and tune for it.

It's the very reason we put Shark Edit before the Shark Injector for the 335i.

There are simply "too many options" that people are choosing from as to
tuning components for a "one size fits all" tune.
will there be a map optimized for stock everything + shark tune? how much power will this make and how much would that cost?

i've read all the posts, and i'm confused about these simple questions. I think there are some people who want the most HP, cost be damned, but i think they are the minority. I think there are a lot of people like myself that want a simple tuning solution, without having to mess with wires or paying $$ for custom tuning, at least until my car goes out of warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 04:22 AM   #94
gIzzE
Major General
Rep
Drives: F11 + 911 C4

So what side of tuning are you doing Robertbog?? You sound like you have lots of experience in the industry with some pretty bold claims.

You know it's funny, In Europe people like Dinan mean feck all, you keep banging on about them, but to be honest they always seem to be playing catch up, in the States I undertsnad they tend to be the first to come out with a flash or whatever, but they always seem to be a very long way behind our tuners and generally with slightly lower results.

The other problem is most of the European guys ignore stuff like Procede because of the fanboyism that goes with it, people with their lips wrapped round the owners dick in every other thread on here does more damage to their product than help it. It comes across as an amateur company with loads of kids raving about it online.

Alot of the tuners over here keep off forums, they think it ends up with fanboys damaging their professionalism, and these are their fanboys, not the competitions.

I just don't get this forum, in every other industry the consumer wants competition to move the game on and the price down, in here it seems people are scared of it, and I am not sure why?? only reason I can think is for bragging rights, maybe people are scared that the next preson may get another 10bhp and they will no longer have 'the best!' ???
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:08 AM   #95
Numb3rs
Banned
Rep
Drives: Looking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertbog View Post
Collateral damage lol.

Yeah sorry but I learned a lot about dinan and JimC's little operation thanks to it. So thank you sir, and my PM box.

Honestly, your posts are nothing other, than a little boy trying to get noticed. Your wet behind the ears and need to learn more about actual tuning.

There are certain people in the automobile industry that are widely recognized as vanguards and are respected amonst their peers. Jim Conforti is one of those. He is known in all circles of the tuning world, not just BMW.

16 years ago he was one of the first tuners to start messing with Motronics.
  • movc a,@a+dptr instruction

Steve Dinan is an engineering house, they race cars and design engine components. Conforti has had success in designing his products as well, not to mention tuning race cars.

They are both equally respected! Your foolish banter has cost you respect among some community members here. Jim C doesn't have a need to lie or deceive.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2008, 07:42 AM   #96
Bubbles
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: Green Bastard

Bottom line question, if Shiv had the ability to flash the ECU would he flash rather than piggy? Time will tell.