E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > HOW AND WHY YOU SHOULD BYPASS YOUR BRAKE PAD SENSOR(video)

Closed Thread

02-26-2019, 01:54 PM   #23
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexit4 View Post
(guide pin may need to be lubricated, excessive brake dust build up, etc.).
Actually BMW says to not lube guide pins...
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:13 PM   #24
carguy138
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I just unplug the sensor from the brake pad and zip tie it safely out of the way. Easy day.

I do all my own work including brake swaps for track days so I'm constantly checking them for wear.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2019, 02:18 PM   #25
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by carguy138 View Post
I just unplug the sensor from the brake pad and zip tie it safely out of the way. Easy day.

I do all my own work including brake swaps for track days so I'm constantly checking them for wear.
Thanks for the response. Yeah I do all my work myself as well so I’m always checking everything out.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 05:09 PM   #26
Pladi
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive

we discussing 15 dollar sensor really ? you own a bmw..

we making issues more than solving with these tips
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2424.00
      02-26-2019, 06:39 PM   #27
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pladi View Post
we discussing 15 dollar sensor really ? you own a bmw..

we making issues more than solving with these tips
You obviously didn’t watch or read anything that was said by me.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #28
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 08 328xi Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by vbp6us View Post
Almost no other car manufacturer over engineers their braking system by putting shitty sensors on them. If it's a safety issue, how are they able to overlook this "grave" matter? A little common sense goes a long way. I've replaced sensors with pads every single time in my BMW cars and 2 out of 5 times something is triggered on the system despite doing a successful reset after the refresh.
I worked on a 2000 cadillac catera the other day. Brake pad wear sensors.

it's an Opel.

VWs do.

Volvos do.

Mercedes do.

so hardly no other manufacturer. in fact it seems to be the majority of euro car manufacturers.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:36 PM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_e90 View Post
Why is everyone so condescending in this forum��. We own bmws so it makes sense.

I understand how the system works, I’ve just dealt with too many faulty sensors. But thanks for your input
No, you don't. LOL
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:41 PM   #30
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How condescending of you. If you actually watched the video you would understand that I never once mentioned that I did this to “save money”, so I would appreciate it if you stopped making things up.

You must have to be a complete air head or not mechanically inclined to not realize when you need new brake pads for your car. You don’t need a sensor to let you know. Which is why I just bypassed it. It makes my life easier. On top of that I’ve dealt with faulty sensors that either break or are innaccurate and tell me I need to change the pads when I’m reality I don’t. I solved the issue to my problem.

Anyways, have a good day and thanks for your feedback
Apparently grits cook on your stove differently than any other place in the universe. The laws of physics do not apply to your brakes...
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 08:51 PM   #31
Black_e90
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Apparently grits cook on your stove differently than any other place in the universe. The laws of physics do not apply to your brakes...
Apparently you don’t comprehend that many people have dealt with this issue and it’s why a brake pad bypassing is even a thing...

Don’t you have a wife to yell at in public or something?? Goodbye LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:01 PM   #32
N54Society
Major Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
I worked on a 2000 cadillac catera the other day. Brake pad wear sensors.

it's an Opel.

VWs do.

Volvos do.

Mercedes do.

so hardly no other manufacturer. in fact it seems to be the majority of euro car manufacturers.
Most car manufacturers do NOT use brake sensors. Most car manufacturers are not European.

2010 E90 335i M-Sport AT: 5" Stepped FMIC, Stage 2 LPFP - MHD V7 E60 Tune running 100% E85 - VRSF DPs
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:20 PM   #33
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Apparently you don’t comprehend that many people have dealt with this issue and it’s why a brake pad bypassing is even a thing...

Don’t you have a wife to yell at in public or something?? Goodbye LOL.
Hello, hi.

No, my wife is treated to driving a classic, 22 year-old Z3, maintained by her adoring husband.

Do you even realize how small a community E90 Post is vs. the number of owners that don't post on a BMW forum? I can think of maybe 20 threads on this stupid subject that I've read over the years since 2006 when I joined. There are literally millions of BMW owners that rely, unwittingly of course, on this system and who actually improve the safety level of their vehicles by using it. BMW used brake wear indicators for over 4 decades, but all of a sudden you have declared the system useless and make a stupid video suggesting other owners to ignore a critical safety system. What's next, "How and Why You Should Bypass Your Seat Belt and Airbag System"? LOL.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:22 PM   #34
vilord
Major
Rep
Drives: E91, Tundra, TT, SV650

Garage List
wow...

my experience is interesting... rear brake sensor went off... replaced the rear brakes and sensor. 1 month later rear brakes sensor went off. shop replaced it. 3 months later rear brake sensor went off again.

it turned out the wires above the fender skirt that the mouse had been chewing on were only shorting out *sometimes*.

the brakes did need replacement though.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 09:28 PM   #35
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Most car manufacturers do NOT use brake sensors. Most car manufacturers are not European.
Most brake manufacturers use some type of audible pad wear indicator. It's often ignored by women...

Perhaps indicator lights work better?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 10:00 PM   #36
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
A) would you two please stop?

B) this is not the place to trash talk each other

C) why are you talking about yelling at and beating up women? just stop. seriously.
Appreciate 1
dwashy64.50
      02-26-2019, 10:22 PM   #37
vilord
Major
Rep

Garage List
If you were done, then you wouldn't need to always get the last word and wouldn't keep posting that BS talking shit about him.
Appreciate 2
6ixSpd6011.50
      02-27-2019, 09:00 AM   #38
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandoch View Post
Tip of the day, read it in mm it seems bigger that way.
Close friend of mine (drives a 2018 Audi S5). With her, when discussing measurements you have to state whether you are using real "ruler" inches, or "man" inches...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 09:18 AM   #39
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

OP, in all seriousness, please look at almost every post of mine regarding the E90 (there are a lot to choose from ), and you'll find I'm about the most positive owner on this Fourm. I think the cooling hose connections are over engineered, I don't understand why BMW programmed the oil condition data to be ignored by the CBS once the engine reaches 186,000 miles, and I think BMW could have better engineered the water pump, or at least gave it a driver notification noting a pending failure based off the 2E81 trouble code. I've written extensively on those three issues during my tenure on E90 Post.

I find that posting a video as you did, as negative, and a disservice to the E9X community. Try to keep insults from your responses when other members take issue with the information post.

The problem I have with your post is that un-informed owners may take tying off brake sensors as gospel, and effectively disable a safety system of the vehicle. Then the modified E9X gets traded in, and the next owner has no system in indicate the brakes are spent, and may end up with backing plates against rotors and cause an accident. Precisely because BMWs don't use a mechanical audible (tuning fork) pad wear indicator, disabling the visual indicator is dangerous. 99% of car owners do not inspect their brake pads weekly using a flashlight (nor do you I'd bet - because it is stupid and unnecessary). The system BMW has devised works very well despite what your experiences have been. Posting a video and advocating disabling of a safety system is reckless from my point of view because I see the positive aspects of the pad notification system. A false positive is far more safe than a false negative (missed pad wear notification) in this case.

Last edited by Efthreeoh; 02-27-2019 at 09:32 AM..
Appreciate 2
      02-27-2019, 09:58 AM   #40
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
it was a pontiac tempest.

Quote:
he said no other manufacturer used them.

I simply refuted that statement with facts.

like the fact that all of the european car manufacturers use them.

oh and BTW, there are lexus and acura models that use electronic wear sensors too here in the US.
so I guess that means Hondas and Toyotas elsewhere in the world.

so when he said "almost no other manufacturers" I guess what he really meant is no American manufacturers. because they're commonplace everywhere else in the world.

and with the increasing globalization of Ford and GM's domestic offerings, it wouldn't surprise me if they have some models with wear sensors now too.

see the aforementioned Cadillac example.
oh wait, what's this?
Ford Transits have pad wear sensors?
https://partnerportal.dieseltechnic....r-1331025.html
OMG, so I guess we can add domestic brands to that list too.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 10:20 AM   #41
minaret
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91 ZSP

Garage List
If you swap brake pads on a regular basis for track days, the removal and insertion of pad sensors will eventually damage the conductive clip that inserts into the pad. I leave my pad sensors disconnected and wrapped, because I inspect the pads and rotors monthly when performing the pad swaps.
2008 E91, ARC-8, 255/40/17 NT01, ER sport cooler, TCK camber plates, coil-overs 400# front 700# rear, Koni SA shocks. M3 Subframe bushings, front + rear control arms, tension struts, strut brace. Quaife, Carbotech, Schroth.
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 10:24 AM   #42
nsjames
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
If you swap brake pads on a regular basis for track days, the removal and insertion of pad sensors will eventually damage the conductive clip that inserts into the pad. I leave my pad sensors disconnected and wrapped, because I inspect the pads and rotors monthly when performing the pad swaps.
this here is pretty much the only logical reason to bypass it.

it's a simple and effective system that works for millions of cars and people everyday.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2019, 01:13 PM   #43
dwashy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 E90 330i

Yea I got rid of those sh*ts too, my eyeballs work just fine haha. So much flame in this thread.. Why is everyone so catty sheesh
N52 | +1mm MILVs | Catless | 3-Stage IM | BPC Tune | 3.64 diff | AirLift Performance 3H | M3 Control Arms | SPL Parts BumpSteer Correction | UUC Evo 3 Shifter | CCV Delete | Valeo SMF Flywheel | CSF Aluminum Rad | VAC Front Hub Extenders | BMS Cowl Filter Delete
Appreciate 1
      02-27-2019, 01:37 PM   #44
Welcome to NBA Jam
Is it the shoes!?
Rep
Drives: (Sold) 2011 E92 335i ZMP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwashy View Post
Yea I got rid of those sh*ts too, my eyeballs work just fine haha. So much flame in this thread.. Why is everyone so catty sheesh
Welcome to car forums.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread