E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Koni Special Active Dampers Anyone?

04-03-2019, 11:39 AM   #1
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Koni Special Active Dampers Anyone?

i know this is new product, has anyone tried to install on their E9x and how does it perform?

https://www.tirerack.com/suspension/...num=8245-1221M
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 12:57 PM   #2
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I'm quite certain these are simply a cosmetically updated Koni FSD. If you search around for reviews of Koni FSD (frequency selective damping) there should be plenty of information out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 02:15 PM   #3
type-dRew
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive

These are going in my car before summer, ill be using stock sport pack springs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biz77 View Post
I'm quite certain these are simply a cosmetically updated Koni FSD. If you search around for reviews of Koni FSD (frequency selective damping) there should be plenty of information out there.
I went back and forth with koni on these a few weeks ago, they say are mechanically superior and thats the main reason for the name change. Also now able to be purchased individually.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2019, 03:10 PM   #4
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by type-dRew View Post
I went back and forth with koni on these a few weeks ago, they say are mechanically superior and thats the main reason for the name change. Also now able to be purchased individually.
Call me skeptical. The old FSDs sold for around $750/set and the new Special Active are selling for $525/set. They made them better and cut the price by 30%?
You are not the first person that said Koni told them these are better. How are they better?
I'm sure these will be a good solution for those looking for a comfortable ride. Hopefully they are more durable than their predecessors.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2019, 06:24 AM   #5
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Call me skeptical. The old FSDs sold for around $750/set and the new Special Active are selling for $525/set. They made them better and cut the price by 30%?
You are not the first person that said Koni told them these are better. How are they better?
I'm sure these will be a good solution for those looking for a comfortable ride. Hopefully they are more durable than their predecessors.
That was exactly what they said, people had issues with durability or ride worsening after a few thousand miles. These fixed that, also that they price point kept them out of the market that was mainly ruled by $550 Bilstein sets. So they made them more competitive. Hopefully it wasn't bullshit and its a more quality product, we will see.

If its accurate, sounds win win, either way i'll have a set on my car as soon as I can because this thing rides like a brick on wagon wheels with its run flats and blown struts. And after a year ill post another review to see if they are good or got worse.
Appreciate 2
Phyrexia502.50
6ixSpd5996.50
      04-04-2019, 02:34 PM   #6
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

Quote:
That was exactly what they said, people had issues with durability or ride worsening after a few thousand miles. These fixed that, also that they price point kept them out of the market that was mainly ruled by $550 Bilstein sets. So they made them more competitive. Hopefully it wasn't bullshit and its a more quality product, we will see.

If its accurate, sounds win win, either way i'll have a set on my car as soon as I can because this thing rides like a brick on wagon wheels with its run flats and blown struts. And after a year ill post another review to see if they are good or got worse.
Be good if u can get a review up when u get them installed. Ive been looking at them as well and reading into them. From what I've read they are the "next gen" FSDs.....more reliable, longer lasting, plus the original fsds were good but people had problems with them bottoming out while using them with lowering springs, the fsds work at there best within a small margin as to regards height/compression, and used with lower springs caused them to bottom out....The new special active have been confirmed to be used with standard ride height and also lowering springs to a max 1.5 inch drop. Plus it's a really good price. Lifetime guarantee from Koni as usual.... I'll be getting them in about 2 months but would be great to hear some feedback if u get them before me :-)
Appreciate 2
      04-09-2019, 12:43 PM   #7
drawz
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi 6MT, 08 535xiT 6MT

All previous information pointed to them being FSD's in red and also available individually instead of just as a set. Would be great if they improved durability because I have a set waiting to go on!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 "325i"

What do you guys think about this kit? Last ones on the page.
http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAm...=114&mk=6&mt=1
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 09:30 AM   #9
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
What do you guys think about this kit? Last ones on the page.
http://www.koni-na.com/en-US/NorthAm...=114&mk=6&mt=1
Seems like a good deal if you're wanting to lower it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 09:52 AM   #10
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Well it technically be a little higher for me. I have Bilstein sports with European valving on Eibach pro-kits. The front struts actually compress the springs since they are so short.

I love how it handles but the ride can be so punishing sometimes. The bilsteins aren't good at absorbing small sharp bumps. But hey at least I can come out of parking lots faster and the car almost never bottoms out.
Appreciate 1
type-dRew640.00
      04-10-2019, 10:48 AM   #11
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
I'd be interested in knowing how these do on stock sport springs when the car is being driven aggressively.
Appreciate 1
type-dRew640.00
      04-10-2019, 07:29 PM   #12
gunnerxq
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Pulled the trigger on them. I'll probably put them on within the next two weeks.
Appreciate 1
type-dRew640.00
      04-11-2019, 02:40 AM   #13
snedanator
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e93 335i le mans blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunnerxq View Post
Pulled the trigger on them. I'll probably put them on within the next two weeks.
Let us know how u get on. Maybe a mini review once they settle down :-).
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 06:10 PM   #14
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E91 330d

Quote:
Can you direct me to someone who's had problems with the FSD? Somehow in my research I couldn't find anyone (directly) complaining, though heard mention of it from a couple of others.

Like the other posters, I hope the special active is good because I've got a pair waiting to go on the front of my car (rear to follow, when time and funds allow).

To anyone wondering about roughly how the shocks function, they have a damped compression valve which serves to hold the compression circuit open (soft and comfortable) for small/sudden suspension movements (which are characteristic of hitting bumps). The longer duration movements of chassis roll or pitch allow enough time for the compression valve to close, which firms up the damping and prevents excessive chassis movements. Obviously the valve has no sensors, so can't tell the difference between sudden, harsh braking and a bump (for example), so it doesn't work in every scenario. Same goes for if you have the damper loaded up then hit a bump - the valve can't open without the suspension rebounding at least a little.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 02:31 PM   #15
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Fitted mine over the weekend. Huge improvement over the 120k mile old units I replaced (surprise surprise). Real bonus was that Elephant insurance (UK) didn't classify them as a mod (still using SE springs, so normal ride height), so no change to my insurance!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 03:22 PM   #16
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tambohamilton View Post
Can you direct me to someone who's had problems with the FSD? Somehow in my research I couldn't find anyone (directly) complaining, though heard mention of it from a couple of others.
I ran FSDs on my E46 from 85k miles until I sold it at 158k, and I was still loving them at that point. I'm actually ordering Special Active shocks/struts for my 335d today.

Appreciate 2
MEN54236.00
Thorin117.50
      04-16-2019, 09:01 PM   #17
MEN54
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 330 xi

Quote:
Fitted mine over the weekend. Huge improvement over the 120k mile old units I replaced (surprise surprise). Real bonus was that Elephant insurance (UK) didn't classify them as a mod (still using SE springs, so normal ride height), so no change to my insurance!
how does the car feels on bumpy and flat surface?
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:35 AM   #18
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEN54 View Post
how does the car feels on bumpy and flat surface?
It's just generally way more composed. At least as comfortable as the SE parts I replaced, and way better body control. Very happy. Can't wait to get the back end done too!
Appreciate 1
type-dRew640.00
      04-17-2019, 08:40 AM   #19
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Why in the fuck would you tell your insurance about new shocks?

Good to hear otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:57 AM   #20
cranelec
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire007 View Post
I'd be interested in knowing how these do on stock sport springs when the car is being driven aggressively.
30K miles max on Northeastern PA roads 2007 328xi & 2011 335i xDrive. Fortunately, I somehow managed to get a lifetime warranty. Replaced the 335 with Bilstein and replaced the rears on the 2007 with the red ones. Thrilled with the Bilsteins, Koni "reds" meh.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 04:17 PM   #21
Tambohamilton
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Good to hear otherwise.
Because if I wrap my car around something, I'd like to be sure that the insurance folk aren't just going to laugh at me when I try to make a claim...bright red shocks aren't exactly stealthy, or standard-looking! That's why, in the fuck.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2019, 08:53 PM   #22
type-dRew
Major
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Good to hear otherwise.
Because if I wrap my car around something, I'd like to be sure that the insurance folk aren't just going to laugh at me when I try to make a claim...bright red shocks aren't exactly stealthy, or standard-looking! That's why, in the fuck.
You're going to claim maintenance when you wreck your car? They going to reimburse you for half an oil change if you only have a couple thousand miles on it when you wreck? Lmao

Who cares if bright red shocks aren't conspicuous, the only reason suspension parts would matter to an insurance adjuster is if it was a bullshit setup and helped cause the accident. Otherwise you're just picking nits worrying about what insurance is aware of on your car.

Someone totaled my car in January. I told the adjuster the car had a turbo back exhaust, intake, intercooler and meth kit. They said they would pay me half what it cost new except the meth kit and to pull it off if I wanted. Before that they were unaware of any mods. Just not sure why you'd risk having your rates go up for a couple hundred dollars in maintenance parts. Want to insure an outrageous body kit, wheels, stereo, turbo kit? Okay I can somewhat see paying an elevated premium for that. But do you tell them when you switch from regular to synthetic oil or if you just did a coolant flush? 😂
New setup; Covid 19Ts on RFP 93 + ARM inlets, dp, VTT cp and PSP outlets
Appreciate 0