Bimmerpost for Android has just been updated to version 4.3.55 with a host of bug fixes. Try it out!

E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Waxing my car the day i pick it up

01-28-2009, 05:55 PM   #1
d2_unit
Rep
Drives: BMW 320i Coupe

Waxing my car the day i pick it up

hi all,

My apologies if this has already been discussed in other threads, but i am looking for a quick and simple answer.. I need to know which products to buy and apply the day i pick my car up.

My thoughts on the process:

1.Wash the car (zaino)
2. Wax with zaino Z5pro
3. Seal with Z-CS Clear Seal...

is this correct?

Is there a need to wax the car? or should i just seal it and use Z8 grande finale to finish it off?

Appreciate some guidance. thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 05:58 PM   #2
canrhea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

no need to wax it, I would wait a few months atleast..say 3 if you really want to
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2009, 06:21 PM   #3
Hachi
Private
Rep
Drives: e92

Tip of Zaino website:

When applying multiple coats of Zaino polish the same day, especially on darker color vehicles. I would highly recommend waiting a couple of hours before applying Z-8.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

I would absolutely get the car with a good detail the first day you buy it. Protection from the moment you own it is important. Don't wait.

First - if you spend some time on the zaino website, i think they have some great tips on how to use their products.
There is also a sticky in this forum that has great how to's with Zaino. . . . check them out. You don't NEED to use Zaino car wash to wash the car just because you are using Z-5 etc.

After washing, i would highly recommend claying the car. It won't take you long if it is absolutely a brand new car, but it is an important step. If you are going to spend the time to wax and/or seal, claying is a good idea.

Also, z5 is not a wax - it is a sealant in itself. . . .just like Z-CS - but Z-CS can be a topper utilized with Z5. Z-5 is fine by itself imo, but if you wanna use z-cs, go for it. I've actually never used Z-CS, but I think its okay to layer immediately after the Z5.

As far as using Z-8, I wouldn't apply it after Z-CS.
What I would do is use the Z-8 to maintain the car. After every time you wash the car, I would dry it, and then come back with the z-8 and use it as a quick detailer. It will help maintain the shine and gloss. Don't use too much - a little goes a long with with all of Zaino's products.

Good luck!

BMW 335i - e92 Ordered: 4.23.08 Picked Up: 6.19.08
Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:34 PM   #5
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 AW

Z-5?? Why??? A brand new car?????

Assuming it doesn't have scratches (You can't accpet delivery of a car with scratches) here is what you need to do:

-Wash
-Clay with lube including wheels
-Z2 with ZFX (twice).

Do no use Z8 or Z6 for 24 hrs.

Then keep it with Z6 post-wash. I started using Z8 but then when I tried the Z6, I realized it gives same results (at least in light colors...) and is cheaper.

I would really recommend reading the guides in this forum.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:35 PM   #6
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

I forgot... ask the dealer NOT to wash the car before delivery. Usually comes pre-cleaned from the "prep center" and they usually don't scratch the cars, but then, in many dealers, they do a terrible job and mess it up.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:40 PM   #7
SpecC
Completely obsessed with detailing
Rep
Drives: E90 SG 330i, white Scion tC

Send a message via AIM to SpecC
Quote:
Originally Posted by drvai View Post
Z-5?? Why??? A brand new car?????

Assuming it doesn't have scratches (You can't accpet delivery of a car with scratches) here is what you need to do:

-Wash
-Clay with lube including wheels
-Z2 with ZFX (twice).

Do no use Z8 or Z6 for 24 hrs.

Then keep it with Z6 post-wash. I started using Z8 but then when I tried the Z6, I realized it gives same results (at least in light colors...) and is cheaper.

I would really recommend reading the guides in this forum.
that is HIGHLY doubtful because paint that isn't polished yet will have buffer trails all over it. also the dealer washes have a ton of fillers so you won't even be able to notice until a few washes or one strong wash later

do whatever you feel is necessary to protect your car. i would do a full detail if i were you
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 10:48 PM   #8
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecC View Post
that is HIGHLY doubtful because paint that isn't polished yet will have buffer trails all over it. also the dealer washes have a ton of fillers so you won't even be able to notice until a few washes or one strong wash later

do whatever you feel is necessary to protect your car. i would do a full detail if i were you
I couldnt agree more!......always the best route to go, and You will personally know it was done right........

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2009, 11:09 PM   #9
drvai
Major
United_States
Rep

If you really wanna feel "safe" you can do a light polish or use a paint cleaner.

I don't think that "feeling" what is right is gonna help.
It's better to ask a pro or someone with experience.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 12:09 AM   #10
mShu7
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Mazda3 SP23 5-door

Quote:
Originally Posted by canrhea View Post
no need to wax it, I would wait a few months atleast..say 3 if you really want to
Paint is fully cured at the factory so there's no harm in waxing ASAP.

As others have said, I'd do a proper clay and polish prior to waxing.
      01-30-2009, 12:37 AM   #11
Momadness
Private
Rep
Drives: 08 328i coupe

Now I know I am going to hear about this, and I am not knock'n no one on their cars. If it was me. Just a good wash and roll! I got my car and I don't have no scratches, swirls nothing. Looks good to me and get props everytime. Again this is me, but I think some just go a little over the top on all these detail stuff. Cat's spend all this loot on all these products and time, and you drive it and boom bugs, birds, dirt etc. and than you run home and pissed about it. Like I say I ain't knocking no one, and dang peoples stuff look real good. But it is a car that no matter what if you drive it than all of the above will happen to it. Keep a good shine and straight roll!!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2009, 12:06 PM   #12
picus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 SG 335i Coupe

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=41760

You don't need to use a carnauba if you're using Z5pro; but either way, some sort of protection is a good idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2009, 02:19 PM   #13
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

Quote:
typical BS

why wait 3 months..you really need to see the rail dust and such cars have even when you order them new. the dealer only puts a spray wax on..not a hard wax or liquid wax.. a spray..how is that good protection.. and that spray just sealed in rail dust and tar and other deposits..definitely not a good thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2009, 04:23 AM   #14
Kgolf31
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4MC, 2012 128i

Quote:
That more time you wait to put any protection on a car, the longer you are exposing it to the natural elements, and damage is going to be done.

Why do you think you wait?
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 03:56 PM   #15
d2_unit
Rep

Thanks to everyone for replying to my post.

my car is brand new and I just want to ensure it gets the protection from day one.

The only thing, do i really need to clay it? im literally going to drive it from the dealer to my house...25miles away.

I was at the BMW dealer the other day, and they had a sapphire black 335 in the showroom. I then saw this chap walking around and dusting/wiping each car with this tatty yellow cloth. I then went to look at the bonnet of the 335and noticed lots of swirls on the bonnet. i told my dealer if i see any of this the day i pick the car, i will kick off!!!! im seriously considering telling them not to clean it!

So after reading all the above i will do the below: (using the correct applicators)!

1. Wash
2. Z5 pro
3. ZCS clear sealent

4. maintain with Z8

Sorry for seeming a bit thick but ive never done this (but to be honest its the first time in my life ive been able to afford a new car and the exact one ive always wanted)!
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2009, 04:24 PM   #16
Innovative Detailing
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 06 Denali, 53Ford F100

A light claying is most definately advisable. This way the surfaces are completely free of any contaminants regardless. Just get the most mild clay available, I would recommend Clay Magic, their fine grade blue clay, and using a mist and wipe, QD, saturate panels thoroughly and clay lightly in a back and forth motion. You will be surprised at what does come off on the clay, and this should only take you an extra 15min. Then wax or seal and your guaranteed a smooth and protected finish.

Dave @ Innovative Detailing
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 10:43 AM   #17
Jamese93
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Hey there. Which dealership are you getting it from? Have had huge problems with really bad paintwork and dealer screw ups in the UK as the paint finish is so soft on the cars when they arrive - whatever you do don't let them anywhere near it with seal and protect - it's terrible. And whatever they say, as some guys pick up on above, the standard wax is awful and full of fillers - it will stay looking good for about a month in the UK so you really need to wax asap - how you do that though is up to you! Good Luck. If it's Coopers - you have been warned!
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #18
d2_unit
Rep

Hi James,

I bought mine from ascot Bmw - sytner....i rang loads of dealers and in the end i got 6k off through bargaining down to the last penny...sealed the deal and covered all the extras!

He tried to sell me the seal and protect...and apparently its a 10hr process. However, i been told by mate of a mate who works at bmw, that they actually slap it on in just one hr...and rip u off! hence my reasoning to do it myself with a better product. Ive decided to clay it as well...and my mate who is a mini enthusiast and keen car cleaner is coming to help me do it on the day! i will defo be posting some pics up......i just hope the m3 lip which i paid extra for looks good in real life as it does in pics!
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #19
Jamese93
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 640d Gran Coupe M-Sport

Hey, not bad going at all! I got 3 k off mine but bought it back in June before there were many cabs in the UK, and also before our economy when down the sh!tter. Sytner have a good rep so rest assured you should be fine. Thank god you didn't get it from Cooper - bloody awful group, owned by inchcape and don't give a sh!t about anything, least of all a customer.

Re seal and protect, my better half used to work for BMW until recently; seal and protect at most garages here is a sealant called A-glaze sealant which they use on boats etc to seal out the elements. It doesn't work to be frank, the finish is terrible and as you say good clay and wax is the best option! I may be old-fashioned, but waxed mine this weekend using autogylm super resin and it's come up really well - only problem is that it degardes relatively fast and therefore I end up waxing it every 3 months - makes me keep on top of it though.

Last word of advice - watch the paint and any contaminants for a while - flies burnt into the paint on my bonnet after being on for 24 hours! This is where the Cooper probs began.

As for the spolier - sure it will look great. Look forward to seeing the pics!

J
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2009, 11:18 AM   #20
gravediggingaditch
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '08 e92

absolutely call the dealer and tell them NOT to TOUCH the car's paint. I had them leave ALLLL of the stickers, wrapping, etc on the car. . . drove it home and then the detail began.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momadness View Post
Now I know I am going to hear about this, and I am not knock'n no one on their cars. If it was me. Just a good wash and roll! I got my car and I don't have no scratches, swirls nothing. Looks good to me and get props everytime. Again this is me, but I think some just go a little over the top on all these detail stuff. Cat's spend all this loot on all these products and time, and you drive it and boom bugs, birds, dirt etc. and than you run home and pissed about it. Like I say I ain't knocking no one, and dang peoples stuff look real good. But it is a car that no matter what if you drive it than all of the above will happen to it. Keep a good shine and straight roll!!
I understand what you are saying, but, judging by your lack of attention to detail, i.e., the waxing, sealing, claying, extra money/detailing, etc. . . I'm willing to bet you DO have swirls on your car. (and as you said respectfully, I'm not knockin ya). . . and I'm not saying your ride doesn't still look great and that you don't get props on it and how beautiful it looks, but fact of life is that most people don't understand swirls, what they are, and think they are just part of the paint job. Its all personal preference on the end and if you are cool with the wash and roll. .. then more power to ya . . . To each their own.

From all the attention I've given to detailing my car, and everything I've learned about the process, I'll tell you one thing, I will never buy a car with bad swirls on it . . . . I'm spoiled now from knowing how to maintain a car from the get-go. As far as when I sell my car, I'm quite positive the lack of swirls and great shine that I have on my car will show any potential purchaser what kind of car they are getting = more $$ in my pocket.

BMW 335i - e92 Ordered: 4.23.08 Picked Up: 6.19.08
Blk Saph, Black Lthr, Alum, 230s, Man, Prem Pkg, Sprt Pkg, Navi, Prk Dst, CA, iPod, Cstm Pedals, Pntd Reflctrs, GP Thundrs, 30% Huper Optik Tints / 60% Wndshld, Euro Fogs
Appreciate 0