Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Post Your Spare Tire Setup

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-26-2010, 02:13 PM   #23
Rustler
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 E90 335i Space Grey

I have the tischer spare, but my trunk doesn't have the rear tie downs (2010 335i sedan) Any thoughts on how to secure the spare without the tiedowns?
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #24
vase330
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 19 E63S; 15.5 RangeRover ATB

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
You guys really carry spares??
I do yes. I have Tischer Spare wheel kit, BMW mobility kit and BMW assist incase I blow 2 tires. I never used to, since my car didn't come with any. I had a nasty blow out, it took BMW Assist almost 4hrs to get to me. They didn't have a tire and flatbedded my car to the closes BMW dealer. Lucky for me, it was a Saturday they were open. $500 later new tire on board, I canceled my trip halfway there and headed home. I had tire insurance so money was refunded, but I learned a very good lesson, RFT my ass! First thing I did was order the spare kit and mobility repair kit. Never again!! Technology be damned, give me a godamn spare.

Noticeable hell no. But it only takes on bad experience and you too will be a convertee. I would have bought a full wheel to end my misery if the spare wasnt available from Tischer. One case of Run Flat Technology epic failure. The blow out turned into a frustrating all day affair, and make matters worse, I couldn't make my appaointment, ended up having to turn back drive 200 miles home. I'd have gladly given up $500 to have continued on, but my car was imobilized, couldn't abandon it etc. Whats your time and peace of mind worth? Not saying RFT is worse than regular tire, just no spare is a really bad idea. On flat, and you wont want to leave home without it unless you going around the corner.

Last edited by vase330; 11-26-2010 at 02:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 03:41 PM   #25
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
You guys really carry spares??
I don't in my Bimers. Drove a M3 for 4 years never had need for the compressor kit. Used the Compressor kit here and then only to top up the air pressure (I check air pressure weekly).

Now my winter set is Non-Run-Flat and if I have a flat my cell phone will be my spare tire

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 04:03 PM   #26
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I don't in my Bimers. Drove a M3 for 4 years never had need for the compressor kit. Used the Compressor kit here and then only to top up the air pressure (I check air pressure weekly).

Now my winter set is Non-Run-Flat and if I have a flat my cell phone will be my spare tire
I've been plenty of places with my BMW cars where I couldn't get a cell phone connection, and enough of those with so little traffic that I wouldn't want to get stuck there. I carry a donut spare. It really doesn't eat up that much trunk space.

There are places where BMW assist doesn't work, either...
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 04:05 PM   #27
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
I do yes. I have Tischer Spare wheel kit, BMW mobility kit and BMW assist incase I blow 2 tires. I never used to, since my car didn't come with any. I had a nasty blow out, it took BMW Assist almost 4hrs to get to me. They didn't have a tire and flatbedded my car to the closes BMW dealer. Lucky for me, it was a Saturday they were open. $500 later new tire on board, I canceled my trip halfway there and headed home. I had tire insurance so money was refunded, but I learned a very good lesson, RFT my ass! First thing I did was order the spare kit and mobility repair kit. Never again!! Technology be damned, give me a godamn spare.

Noticeable hell no. But it only takes on bad experience and you too will be a convertee. I would have bought a full wheel to end my misery if the spare wasnt available from Tischer. One case of Run Flat Technology epic failure. The blow out turned into a frustrating all day affair, and make matters worse, I couldn't make my appaointment, ended up having to turn back drive 200 miles home. I'd have gladly given up $500 to have continued on, but my car was imobilized, couldn't abandon it etc. Whats your time and peace of mind worth? Not saying RFT is worse than regular tire, just no spare is a really bad idea. On flat, and you wont want to leave home without it unless you going around the corner.
I have to agree with you 100% In my case I will cary my cell phone at all times and in the city I will not carry a spare (since I have my summer or winter wheels at home depending on the season). Our city is small and from anywhere I am just a short tax drive away from home to pick up the spare, jack and the wrench.

When I leave town (I mostly travel alone so not much luggage) I will take a front wheel (that is not in use) along as a spare.

I so wish I had have a spare wheel on my US vacation trip this past summer a flat due to a cracked wheel cost me nearly $1,000.00 this is a long story and I will not bore you with it

I drove a M3 for 4 years without any problems (19 inch wheels with high end Michelin Tires). Never had any problems whatsoever. Now BMW gone to the RFT what a shame this is. My Winter set is now None RFT and my summer set will be before the summer wheels go back onto the car.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2010, 05:03 PM   #28
Javier
Major
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Two of these and an Air Compressor
Attached Images

11-28-2010, 01:27 PM   #29
doggiedog
Captain
Japan
Rep
Drives: 09 E90 335i 6MT SG/BL

Quote:
Originally Posted by -andrew- View Post

Same basic idea as the Continental kit..
I have this but it didn't help me when I got a sidewall flat

I do find it useful when I need to add air to my tires though so it's saved me a few bucks.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 06:47 AM   #30
fl335i
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Just did a trip form FL to VA. Thank god no issues. But my setup is the factory Conti RunFlats. So Locally I don't have anything, should be able to drive home, call the wife or for road side help. But for trips 50+ miles I will carry my 12V MV-50 air compressor and tire plug kit.
'07 335i Sedan, base pkg, 6spd Manual, Procede 3 V5 w/NLS, Macht Schnell Downpipes, 18" Staggered 313's w/Conti DWS's, OS Giken TCD LSD, VAC Street Diff Cover, Dinan Oil Cooler, Dinan Intercooler, Akebono Euro Pads, CDV Removed, Black BMW Grilles, Interior & Exterior white LED lighting, LUX Angel Eyes, Debadged, Blend V1 mount, Llumar ATR Tint.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 12:33 PM   #31
chromisdesigns
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fl335i View Post
Just did a trip form FL to VA. Thank god no issues. But my setup is the factory Conti RunFlats. So Locally I don't have anything, should be able to drive home, call the wife or for road side help. But for trips 50+ miles I will carry my 12V MV-50 air compressor and tire plug kit.
You should at least get a jack and tools kit, then -- can be pretty hard to plug a tire on the car, or even find the leak.

If you have a blowout, your are stuck, of course. And they are all too common on runflats.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2010, 08:57 PM   #32
rush jamaica
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i bmw

Garage List
2006 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post

lol that fly gets me every time
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 11:32 PM   #33
BayMoWe335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i 6MT

I never got a flat in 10 years since posting this.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2021, 11:41 AM   #34
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

I have one of these in my trunk and the Road Service provided by Michelin with my PS4S purchase.
Attached Images

02-15-2021, 08:54 AM   #35
georgewny
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 ix, 04 Mercedes SL600

I wish I was that lucky...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayMoWe335 View Post
I never got a flat in 10 years since posting this.
I too, had gone decades without ever experiencing a flat.

But that all ended twice in the last 2 years, most recently this past summer when I took my Mercedes SL600 for and "Attitude Adjustment Hour",
something I try to do as often as possible during the summer months here in NY.

2 years ago I switched out my run flats on my 335ix, because I had lost one run flat the prior year after hitting a pot hole and that set me back several hundred dollars to replace it.
But on a positive note I was able to drive the 335 home on the run flat... but the tire was shot...

The non-run flats make the car handle much more pleasant to me (an old man that I am) and
I like the less harsh ride the normal tires give my car.
In my younger days I had Triumphs and lastly a Shelby GT350 and I no longer enjoy the harsh rides those cars have to offer...

Then, as I mentioned above, I got a flat on my beloved SL600 and had to leave her on the side of the parkway for 3 days waiting for a replacement tire .

Since the flat happened late afternoon on a Saturday and by the time I got someone to pick me up all the tire stores and garages had closed for the WEEKEND!!!
So I had to let the SL sit on the parkway for 3 days.... The tire was not one that is typical in stock at most tire stores or garages!

I said never again am I going to deal with this crap...

So I bought spares for the BMW and Mercedes.
On the Mercedes, I switched all my wheels back to stock rims and got a spare,
and personally I think the Mercedes looks much better with stock rims then the after markets it came with when I won it in a auction on BAT (Bring A Trailer ).

The BMW, was much easier an less expensive solution, I bought a spare from a 2004-2010 BMW E60 5 series off of eBay.

The compact spare wheel & tire and jack kit all together. And I replaced the rubber on it since it was already 15 years old. But again, all very inexpensive...
The downside is, the E90 3 series is challenged on trunk space to begin with, subtract from that, the size of a compact spare... and well it does not leave a whole lot of space.

Anyway,
Count your blessings if you have not had to go through ordeals like this... I know I went over 40 years with no issues and then twice in two years!!!

Never again...
Attached are pictures of the 335ix's trunk and
my beloved SL600, up on a jack stand, on the side of Sagitkos Parkway on Long Island NY, with the last picy being what was left of the tire.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-11-2021, 05:28 PM   #36
Ozzie335i
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcphoto View Post
I have one of these in my trunk and the Road Service provided by Michelin with my PS4S purchase.
Is that road service provided for any set of PS4Ss? I got my set at Discount Tire, and have the green goop if necessary.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2021, 08:01 PM   #37
tcphoto
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT Coupe

Yes, go to the Michelin website and register the tires, they will provide road service for three years from purchase date.