E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > How Do I prep poly bumpers for wrap?

03-09-2021, 08:25 AM   #1
tomasp001
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
How Do I prep poly bumpers for wrap?

Greetings,

I am doing a Pre-LCI to LCI conversion on my Pre-LCI e90. I am trying to wrap my new Msport bumpers but the vinyl has adhesion problems. Is there a way to make the vinyl stick without using Primer 94? Or the "for sure" way is to get it to the paint shop and get it painted by a professional.

I've read countless threads that if you use Primer 94 it'll be hard to pull off the wrap and contour it to the bumper after the vinyl has already sticked to it, which may damage the vinyl. As well as during vinyl removal, it will leave glue stains that will require a detailer to remove.

I've seen people sand the poly bumper and bleached it but the vinyl still had adhesion problems.

Has anyone has any experience on this? How did you go about it?
'08 335i AT Titanium Silver | MHD Stage 2+ (91 oct) | xHP Stage 3 | VRSF FMIC [7.5"] | BMS CP + Tial BOV | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF Exhaust [Street] | BMS Dual Cone CAI | BMS Cowl Filters | Bilstein B8 Struts+Eibach Lowering Springs |
Appreciate 1
      04-07-2021, 10:41 AM   #2
328i_Beamer
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i 2008

I want to do the same, but the guy I am buying it from is selling the Halo lights too with it, my car does not have the halos already. Are you going from having halos to new LCI halos, if not how did you get the halos to wire in?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2021, 06:08 AM   #3
tomasp001
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 328i_Beamer View Post
I want to do the same, but the guy I am buying it from is selling the Halo lights too with it, my car does not have the halos already. Are you going from having halos to new LCI halos, if not how did you get the halos to wire in?
If you are talking about headlights, no, I am not going from Halos to LCI Halos. I'm going from Pre-LCI xenon adaptive to LCI Xenon adaptive, as far as I'm concerned, it'll be just a plug 'n play for me. (Sorry, I can't help you with your situation)
'08 335i AT Titanium Silver | MHD Stage 2+ (91 oct) | xHP Stage 3 | VRSF FMIC [7.5"] | BMS CP + Tial BOV | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF Exhaust [Street] | BMS Dual Cone CAI | BMS Cowl Filters | Bilstein B8 Struts+Eibach Lowering Springs |
Appreciate 0