E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Things you didnt know about your 3 series.

01-18-2007, 11:49 AM   #155
MacAttack
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast enough

Garage List
2007 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tron1043
My father accidentally locked my mother inside his X5 while he wasn't paying attention. He went in the store, my mother was stuck in the car, unable to get out. Dad left his cell phone in the car, so my mom was just chillin' for like 15 minutes before my dad realized she wasn't in the store. So, YES, if you lock someone in the car with the key fob, they are stuck.

That's hillarious. Now I know what to do when my wife gives me crap. Got to love BMWs.
      01-18-2007, 12:35 PM   #156
sesegal99
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 328I Coupe Sport

Here's a good one I just found out today on my own:

If you have the lights set to auto and you want them on during the day, just tap the fog lights button.....all lights come on.
2009 328i Coupe Space Grey w/ Dakota LeatherSTEP, Sport Pkg. w Paddle Shifters, Prem. Pkg., Comfort Access, Grey Popler Trim, Heated Seats, Shadowline Trim, Xenon Adaptive Lights, GP Thunder Fogs, GP Thunder Angels, RE15mm Spacers, 35% Tint,OEM Alarm, Clear Corners, K&N, Strut Brace
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 12:49 PM   #157
Bluedevil96
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Why doesn't the driver side mirror angle down when you put it in reverse? Or am I missing something???
Pressumably the feature is supposed to assist in parking next to a curb. Most of the time the curb will be on the passenger side . . . so only that mirror will angle down to assist with parking.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 04:32 PM   #158
PiperD
Clutch pedal >> Dead pedal
Canada
Rep
Drives: '11 e92 335is 6MT

Garage List
I might as well chip in

Center console:

- you can lock the lid in the upright position by opening past the initial resistance point until it clicks

iDrive:

- hold the controller in any of the four directions to immediately jump to that section (specifically, to the last page you were at in that section)
Retired: '00 328Ci 5MT SteelGrey/Grey/MyrtleWood
Retired: '87 Pontiac Grand-Am 3AT White/Grey
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 04:33 PM   #159
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 BMW 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sesegal99
That lock feature is to funny, I have to try to lock my wife in next time...I'm gonna laugh!
not sure about other bmw models but on the e90 you can unlock the doors by hitting the unlock switch inside the car. sure, you can't open the door by pulling on the door handle but anyone but little kids would probably try hitting the unlock switch next!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 04:34 PM   #160
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipSauls
Didn't see this ealier:

- On the Steptronic, push the start/stop button to turn the engine off while the transmission is in drive or reverse. The car won't shut off, and the display between the main dials will instruct you to put it into park.
this probably only applies when the car is in motion. i've had a couple times where i've hit the engine off switch after my car was stopped but the transmission was still in drive.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 04:36 PM   #161
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep

i don't think anyone has mentioned this in this thread but your "miles till empty" range will go up as you fill up ur gas tank. kinda cool to watch the numbers go up every second.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 04:38 PM   #162
crazybones
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 718S Boxster, Tesla Model Y

If you need to look at the mileometer or trip meter after you've switched off, you can simply press the trip reset button in the instrument cluster and it will switch on the OBD.

I use this all the time, as I always forget to note down the mileage I've done for my expenses until after I've switched off.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:06 PM   #163
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billgti
not sure about other bmw models but on the e90 you can unlock the doors by hitting the unlock switch inside the car. sure, you can't open the door by pulling on the door handle but anyone but little kids would probably try hitting the unlock switch next!
If the engine and the car is off and the doors are locked with the fob, they will not open from the inside - even with the button
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:38 PM   #164
arbitrage
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiphile
uh huh, what you did was turn the DTC OFF!!!!
NO, what he did was turn DTC ON, hence the big friggen DTC logo on your instrument panel. DTC allows your wheels to spin (as some educated posters have already mentioned) so you can actually have the car move in deep snow or slick ice. Trust me, I've tried this and with the system set at normal DSC (ie no display of DTC) the car will cut all power to the spinning wheels and this means I sit like an idiot at the green light. So instead on the really slick days, when I'm at a red light, I hit the button to switch to DTC mode and now the car allows my wheels to spin somewhat (enough to get moving). Then I quickly turn it back to DSC so I don't go spinning off the road at the next turn. This is how the system works, its really simple and I think it works amazing for us in snow covered climates. This summer I'll have to find a time to hold the button down and disable the whole system and see what the beast can really do!!!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 05:52 PM   #165
ScheerSpeed
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
If the engine and the car is off and the doors are locked with the fob, they will not open from the inside - even with the button
yes they do
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:30 PM   #166
JackMac
Recovering BMW Addict
Scotland
Rep
Drives: <OO (|||)(|||) OO>

Garage List
+1, as I noted back on post #51 in this thread. Not sure? Then try it yourself (have someone else help if needed)

X5 may have been different design.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:31 PM   #167
rjm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335i SH
Be careful with the 1st paragraph. The start/stop button WILL shut off the engine while you're driving if you hold the button in for a few seconds.
I wondered about this. So if you're driving down the highway and your kid reaches over and presses the Start button, the car will shut down even though it is in Drive?
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #168
rjm
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 528i/2007 328i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw
Gas pedal make car go, brake pedal make car stop.

Thanks Paul....that was helpful!
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 06:38 PM   #169
billgti
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed
well on mine it does and it seems like others agree with me. unless your car is different.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2007, 07:32 PM   #170
MBrown1003
Eight Bimmers and counting
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjm
I wondered about this. So if you're driving down the highway and your kid reaches over and presses the Start button, the car will shut down even though it is in Drive?
I tried it when I had a loaner 325i sedan last year. Seems like if you're moving and you poke the Start/Stop button, it ignores you...which is better than what would happen if you turned a conventional key to off. I'm assuming it's speed-based.
Fives: '11 F10 550i, '02 E39 M5, '00 E39 540i/6, '97 E39 528i, '92 E34 525i
Others: VW, MBz, Peugeot, Toyota, Olds
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 06:39 AM   #171
Hawkshaw
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: X3 xDrive28i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
+1

I tried this last night. Turned car off, took out the key. Open and closed the driver door, then locked the car with the fob. Door wouldn't unlock pulling on the handle, and also did not unlock while pressing the lock/unlock button in the centre console.

Can anyone explain the discrepancies? Comfort Access or something? (I don't have comfort access)
      01-19-2007, 08:02 AM   #172
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

Hate to break in and post what I think is a new one..

If I have my heated seats turned on and I do a quick (< 5 minutes I think) turn car off, get out, lock doors (probably don't have to do all steps) and then return the heated seat setting is just as I left it. I didn't have to turn on residual heat or anything. First couple of times I thought maybe I just turned them on and forgot but then I tested it. Must be some time interval when it returns to when shut off setting.
Now if it would recognize my Sirius license everytime I started the car I'd be happy (but that is another thread and another problem).
      01-19-2007, 08:08 AM   #173
Bluedevil96
Registered
Rep
Drives: 325iT

Quote:
Gas pedal make car go,
Yes, but I've found that if you use it too much on the highway, it also makes blue flashing lights appear in my rearview
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:23 AM   #174
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkshaw View Post
+1

I tried this last night. Turned car off, took out the key. Open and closed the driver door, then locked the car with the fob. Door wouldn't unlock pulling on the handle, and also did not unlock while pressing the lock/unlock button in the centre console.

Can anyone explain the discrepancies? Comfort Access or something? (I don't have comfort access)
My car will definitely not open from the inside. I'm thinking this is an international spec difference. I know the US cars don't have the alarm - maybe that's linked ? Maybe it's cause someone locked themselves in their car and sued in the USA?

Either way .. in my car .. there is no way out !
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:26 AM   #175
audiphile
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: CORRADO SLC, 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
NO, what he did was turn DTC ON, hence the big friggen DTC logo on your instrument panel. DTC allows your wheels to spin (as some educated posters have already mentioned) so you can actually have the car move in deep snow or slick ice. Trust me, I've tried this and with the system set at normal DSC (ie no display of DTC) the car will cut all power to the spinning wheels and this means I sit like an idiot at the green light. So instead on the really slick days, when I'm at a red light, I hit the button to switch to DTC mode and now the car allows my wheels to spin somewhat (enough to get moving). Then I quickly turn it back to DSC so I don't go spinning off the road at the next turn. This is how the system works, its really simple and I think it works amazing for us in snow covered climates. This summer I'll have to find a time to hold the button down and disable the whole system and see what the beast can really do!!!
by default: DTC AND DSC are on - they compliment eachother, traction control and stability control.
1 press - turn DSC off, DTC remains on (stability off, traction on)
1 press and hold for 5 seconds - both DTC and DSC are off (stability and traction off)
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2007, 09:27 AM   #176
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbitrage View Post
Correct !

As it says in the manual "DTC is a subsiduary function of DSC+"

When you press the button an I-drive message appears as follows:

"DTC activated, DSC+ restricted."

Activated usually means ON not OFF
Appreciate 0