E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > Race the Roval at Auto Club Speedway Nov 21,22,23!!

View Poll Results: What Days Do You Want to Race?
Friday 2 11.11%
Saturday 8 44.44%
Sunday 3 16.67%
Friday and Saturday 1 5.56%
Saturday and Sunday 3 16.67%
Friday and Sunday 0 0%
All 3 Days 1 5.56%
Voters: 18. You may not vote on this poll

11-10-2008, 07:48 PM   #67
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: stock

signed up for Saturday driving with white group but didnt get an instructor, can i get him at the event or contact Aaron and request one now?
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #68
satakal
Major
Rep
Drives: e46

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontopofm View Post
signed up for Saturday driving with white group but didnt get an instructor, can i get him at the event or contact Aaron and request one now?
yeah, just hit up the SV guys at the "contact us" email on their website. Even though you have "placed your order", they can alter it to your needs. If you've never been to that track... it's really big. Lots of room to do what ever you want. The problem is... "what you want" may be super dangerous.

Suggestions of getting an instructor may sound condescending. But, never lose sight of how many chips are on the table. Your car + your life + whatever / whomever you may make contact with.

The instructor is there for 2 reasons imo. First, so that you have fun and learn some stuff about hauling ass on the track. Second is for the safety of those that are on track with you. The most dangerous thing is a guy who doesn't know where he should be when and is therefore unpredictable. Being predictable = being safe. Don't make me relink the image of the totaled GT3 from the September Saturday.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #69
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by satakal View Post
yeah, just hit up the SV guys at the "contact us" email on their website. Even though you have "placed your order", they can alter it to your needs. If you've never been to that track... it's really big. Lots of room to do what ever you want. The problem is... "what you want" may be super dangerous.

Suggestions of getting an instructor may sound condescending. But, never lose sight of how many chips are on the table. Your car + your life + whatever / whomever you may make contact with.

The instructor is there for 2 reasons imo. First, so that you have fun and learn some stuff about hauling ass on the track. Second is for the safety of those that are on track with you. The most dangerous thing is a guy who doesn't know where he should be when and is therefore unpredictable. Being predictable = being safe. Don't make me relink the image of the totaled GT3 from the September Saturday.
thanks, i'll contact them to add an instructor. I have never tracked or been to the tract before. Looking forward to meet you guys even though we dont run in the same group, any suggestion for first timer? what to bring or prep the car? i have 19" wheels in falken tires but thinking of putting back on the RFT.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:39 PM   #70
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Did you get a garage? Please PM me your first, last and type of vehicle. I am trying to get everyone to pit together.

Harold
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:43 PM   #71
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HP Autowerks View Post
Did you get a garage? Please PM me your first, last and type of vehicle. I am trying to get everyone to pit together.

Harold
no didnt get the garage, pmed
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #72
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
thanks, i'll contact them to add an instructor. I have never tracked or been to the tract before. Looking forward to meet you guys even though we dont run in the same group, any suggestion for first timer? what to bring or prep the car? i have 19" wheels in falken tires but thinking of putting back on the RFT.
all you really need to prep is a helmet and a full tank of gas. Our cars pass tech with a glance. Nothing is really needed. Maybe pick up a 99 cent tire pressure gauge next time you fill your tank. Honestly... what ever tires you want to run will be fine. You'll see less tire wear than you expect. The RFTs are good tires. I'm sure your falkens will be fine too. Either way, you'll still be hitting 130+. You don't need to make your tire choice on what will make you faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 08:56 PM   #73
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

ordered a full face helmet today and already got a tire pressure gauge, im all set then, really excited about this, oh is race gas neccesary? im running procede v3 (may disable it), read that a tune wont do help at the track as it produces more heat

Quote:
all you really need to prep is a helmet and a full tank of gas. Our cars pass tech with a glance. Nothing is really needed. Maybe pick up a 99 cent tire pressure gauge next time you fill your tank. Honestly... what ever tires you want to run will be fine. You'll see less tire wear than you expect. The RFTs are good tires. I'm sure your falkens will be fine too. Either way, you'll still be hitting 130+. You don't need to make your tire choice on what will make you faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:14 PM   #74
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
ordered a full face helmet today and already got a tire pressure gauge, im all set then, really excited about this, oh is race gas neccesary? im running procede v3 (may disable it), read that a tune wont do help at the track as it produces more heat
Maybe rock the bypass plugs for this event. Even put them in a week before the event so that the car has time to fully adapt to "fast" instead of "rediculous". You'll probably learn less if you're running the tune. There is so much to absorb, the last thing you need is to worry about putting down too much power. Trust me, no tune, 100% stock, you'll see 130+. You'll get your need for speed satisfied. Only 1/2 the track is about hp. The other half is about being calm, collected, and hitting all your marks. Rediculous torque makes hitting your marks a little bit harder. In the same way that when you're looking for an address you turn down the stereo, when you're looking for an apex, dial down the torque.

Race gas: add a few gallons when you get to the track as "insurance" even though you'll be running tuneless. I'm gonna put 3 or 4 in. Also, you'll cover about 120 miles in your 4 sessions. That'll run 'er empty. So, show up full. Burn down however much in your first session while taking it easy. Then top it off with 100 UNleaded.

Also, I think the heat thing that S4to335 discussed in the turbo forum was a Dinan thing. I think Shiv made it seem like his tune was less conservative.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:32 PM   #75
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

thanks for all the good points satakal
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:39 PM   #76
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

Seems like its going to be a big turnout for e9x's showing up. Can't wait
      11-10-2008, 09:51 PM   #77
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
thanks for all the good points satakal
Wanna know the best way you can prepare to have fun and learn? Don't talk about modding your car with me or any of the other E90post guys that day. Instead of talking e90s, grab your helmet and ask to ride passenger in a ferrari or porsche or corvette or race car or Harolds car or whatever. The guys you ride with will be online and helpful. Whenever you're not in your car or the classroom, try and be ontrack riding passenger. If you get to ride passenger, its like a free session you didn't have to pay for. And if you ride passenger before your first session, you already know the answers to the test! Watching my video of Fontana is worth 10% of what a ride is. After your last session, then it's ok to flirt with Mr.5 about how his blow-off makes you feel.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 09:54 PM   #78
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Wanna know the best way you can prepare to have fun and learn? Don't talk about modding your car with me or any of the other E90post guys that day. Instead of talking e90s, grab your helmet and ask to ride passenger in a ferrari or porsche or corvette or race car or Harolds car or whatever. The guys you ride with will be online and helpful. Whenever you're not in your car or the classroom, try and be ontrack riding passenger. If you get to ride passenger, its like a free session you didn't have to pay for. And if you ride passenger before your first session, you already know the answers to the test! Watching my video of Fontana is worth 10% of what a ride is. After your last session, then it's ok to flirt with Mr.5 about how his blow-off makes you feel.
Ride with me? Better have your adult diaper ready!
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:18 PM   #79
BRO
Oldie Newbie
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 2007 Auto Sport Red

Very true. After a ride in the instructor's car, with her driving of course, I was MUCH more confident about where to go fast, how to attack corners etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:28 PM   #80
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
sounds good, i'll ask to be someone's passenger, damn if i can sit in someone's ferrari
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2008, 11:29 PM   #81
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Ride with me? Better have your adult diaper ready!
going to walmart tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:53 AM   #82
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

We were able to request rides with instructors all day long at the BMW CCA HPDE event. I assume it isn't going to be like that at SpeedVentures... or is it? Are instructors taking passengers, or do we just ask any of the drivers out there for a ride?
      11-11-2008, 07:01 AM   #83
satakal
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sambonator View Post
We were able to request rides with instructors all day long at the BMW CCA HPDE event. I assume it isn't going to be like that at SpeedVentures... or is it? Are instructors taking passengers, or do we just ask any of the drivers out there for a ride?
SV does this thing that I hate.... Anyone, even a first timer can take anyone as a passenger. Worst case scenario is... I get my crazy buddy riding shot gun and he starts to tease me about getting passed by a miata then I try harder then hurt my car. That said, if we're in different groups, I'm requesting a ride.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:12 AM   #84
Slick_M3
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3 Competition

Quote:

Harold

Can a 135i join the group? It'll be my first time out too. I'll PM you anyways to see if you have room.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:37 AM   #85
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_One View Post
Can a 135i join the group? It'll be my first time out too. I'll PM you anyways to see if you have room.
we'll be in the same group then , did you order an instructor?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 01:19 PM   #86
sambonator
Samtaro!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F32 N55 Alpinweiß

Quote:
SV does this thing that I hate.... Anyone, even a first timer can take anyone as a passenger. Worst case scenario is... I get my crazy buddy riding shot gun and he starts to tease me about getting passed by a miata then I try harder then hurt my car. That said, if we're in different groups, I'm requesting a ride.
Yes for sure you're welcome to take a ride. I'd like to ride in your car as well to see what line you take. I also have a 6AT so its a completely different feel from your 6MT.

I requested 1 session of instruction through them... hope the instructor is good. I think I'm in the beginner's run group. Is that the "white" group?
      11-11-2008, 04:55 PM   #87
ontopofm
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

This was from Dave, so now I got a free garage

"""Hey, Phuc.
I didn't know you were supposed to get the E90 Post discount ($10 off Saturday). I'd rather not credit your card (they charge us for that) so if you want, I can either give you a free garage that day or put $10 on your account for a future event. Let me know which you want.
Also, I don't have a list of drivers I can send. Is there a specific question you have about who's running or what kind of cars that I could answer?
d

Dave LachSpeed
Ventureswww.speedventures.com
323 782 3993 (direct)323 461 4795"""
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 11:21 AM   #88
325racer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 92 325is

Instruction Available

Just wanted to let the group know that I will most likely be there for Saturday.

I'm will know for sure by Friday of this week.

Satakal had discussed with me, being there to Instruct him at least one of the days. If I'm there, which I'm planning, I will be able to pick up one other student if someone is interested. I work at the same rates as SV, so it would be $200 for the day. If I'm able to pick up a second student I will bring my 92 325 2.8L BMWCCA JP club race car to give rides in.

For those that don't know, a little about me.

I've been doing track stuff and autox for 16 years now. I have been a BMWCCA instructor for the past 3 years, I have also done a little bit of private instruction over the past 2 years. I began Club Racing with BMWCCA last November. I won my class both days at Cal Speedway earlier this year, where I was turning 1:57s, with a 228rwhp E36.

As mentioned I will know for sure by Friday if I'm available to head to Cal Speedway for Saturday, so if anyone is interested in instruction please feel free to contact me.

As another side item, I also have 5 ChaseCam video systems available for rent. These are available for $75 each for the day.

Matthew Kogan
http://www.trackdayjunkies.com/Matts...riftingjew.htm
Appreciate 0