E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > N55 oil starvation

05-08-2023, 03:34 PM   #1
Costello
Enlisted Member
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335i E92 LCI

N55 oil starvation

Hello everyone from Bayern,

A good friend of mine, was that weekend at the Nürburgring testing his KW V3 suspension and semislicks on his 335i E92 Xdrive PPK and after two days of driving around, on the way back on the Autobahn the rod bearings started to rattle on his N55.

All indications are that there was a lack of oil while driving on the track and this caused the problem.

Since I always drive my e92 335i PPK with him on the Touristenfahrten, I am afraid that my car might have been affected as well.

Since the plan for both of us is to continue to drive sporadically on the track (20% Trackday / 80% Daily), what is the best option to avoid the lack of oil on the track?

If I am not mistaken the S55 oil pan is not valid for the N55 in the e82 and e92 chassis, is then a BAFFLED OIL SUMP the only solution to prevent the rod bearings?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 11:40 PM   #2
whyzee125
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Dinan stage 2 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costello View Post
Hello everyone from Bayern,

A good friend of mine, was that weekend at the Nürburgring testing his KW V3 suspension and semislicks on his 335i E92 Xdrive PPK and after two days of driving around, on the way back on the Autobahn the rod bearings started to rattle on his N55.

All indications are that there was a lack of oil while driving on the track and this caused the problem.

Since I always drive my e92 335i PPK with him on the Touristenfahrten, I am afraid that my car might have been affected as well.

Since the plan for both of us is to continue to drive sporadically on the track (20% Trackday / 80% Daily), what is the best option to avoid the lack of oil on the track?

If I am not mistaken the S55 oil pan is not valid for the N55 in the e82 and e92 chassis, is then a BAFFLED OIL SUMP the only solution to prevent the rod bearings?

Thanks
Mixed reviews on the baffle, some say it makes it worse. N55's supposedly have a better oiling system than N54 but seem to spin bearings more often. If heavily tracking with sticky tires and in advanced groups, both engines could suffer oil starvation in stock form.

Overfilling oil by 1/2 or 1 quart helps and I would definitely put a fresh set of rod bearings in so you know what you're starting with.

Beyond that, the best aftermarket solution is probably an accusump but that comes with some other issues too like codes on startup.

I've seen a few threads about retrofitting the S55 oiling system but to my knowledge it hasn't been successfully pulled off on an E chassis car yet.
Appreciate 0