E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Opinion request - service intervals

05-10-2023, 03:56 AM   #1
daniellecm88
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw e93

Opinion request - service intervals

Hi,
I'm looking at an e93. Has service records but was only serviced every couple of years because of low KMs.
A little wary because my 325ci wasn't maintained well (before I got it!) and gave me a bit of trouble...
I know BMW say the service intervals can be be longer than the usual 10,000 but I believe 1yr is still the maximum recommended time? Don't really want another hole in my pocket-S plural. 😀
Thanks for any help you can offer (and no, I do not want a Toyota or the like).
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2023, 04:38 PM   #2
Socket
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW E92  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellecm88 View Post
Hi,
I'm looking at an e93. Has service records but was only serviced every couple of years because of low KMs.
A little wary because my 325ci wasn't maintained well (before I got it!) and gave me a bit of trouble...
I know BMW say the service intervals can be be longer than the usual 10,000 but I believe 1yr is still the maximum recommended time? Don't really want another hole in my pocket-S plural. ��
Thanks for any help you can offer (and no, I do not want a Toyota or the like).
Probably need more details to answer this question properly.
What model (320d, 335i??) what year is the E93, how many KMs

In my experience most people don't maintain these cars well and generally only fix things when they break

Would not be so worried about the service history as long as the work has been done recently, oil filter housing gasket, serpentine belt, water pump, suspension bushings, engine mounts are all common maintenance items they often get overlooked. oh and oil leaks, very common to have an oil leak or two especially around the oil filter housing and oil pan

My E92 has 220,000+ on the clock and has been super reliable mainly because it has had everything replaced and is regularly maintained. That said I did have a water leak recently that turned out to be the water pump..... so there you go, maintenance is a ongoing part of ownership

So to answer your question, apart from oil changes and brakes, it is not critical to do the servicing at the specified interval as long as the maintenance on the things like the OFHG are done every few years. That said with regards to the car you are looking at, if those items listed above have not been replaced or serviced recently, you will need to factor into the purchase price the cost of doing this work yourself. Also if it doesn't come with a road worthy Id keep walking, as the cost to comply could be pretty steep.

Otherwise you should be good to go, bearing in mind maintenance on these cars is higher just because of their age. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0