E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Photo/Video/Media Gallery > My (new to me) pre-LCI e91

05-26-2023, 03:06 PM   #1
CoralRed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i, e36/7, e91 times 2

My (new to me) pre-LCI e91

Hi e90 folks!

I’ve been lurking for a while and have been a member of 1Addicts since 2008 but I’m now a member of the e9X community!

I currently own a 2008 135i that I bought new, a 2001 325xiT, and half of a 2001 M Roadster (my dad and I share it). I bought my e46 about a year ago thinking it would make a great daily (135i would become a garage queen) for me in Texas (moved here from DC about the same time I bought the car. I really wanted a RWD manual wagon but I ended up with an auto AWD because it came up for sale locally and was in amazing shape and only had 83,000 miles. I sorted all its issued and it’s been a great daily but I always longed for a RWD manual trans wagon.

So thus began my search. Originally I was thinking of getting another e46 and doing an S54 swap. After looking at everything and consulting my advisor (my fiancé lol) I decided the best course for me was to sell the e46 and my 135i and do a full e91 build. The shop that did all the work on my e46 is who I’ll do the build with and they’re book up through early next year so I had some time…. So I thought….. a few weeks ago my wagon popped up. Original San Francisco Bay car, single hump, RWD, manual, sport package, with 125,000 miles. Alpine white with Terra leather. It was actually the second e91 sold on BaT. It’s a little rough but the price was right. So spoke with the owner and made an offer. The next day I’d bought a car…. That was 1800 miles away.

My initial plan was to just ship it but (Long story short) my fiancé and her mom wanted to make a vacation of driving it so that’s what we did. All went fine until the got (almost) to Albuquerque, NM. Seems the right rear tire didn’t want to go any further and waited until 7PM on a Sunday evening 670 miles from home to do it. DANG. Then a $500 tow to the local dealership. DOUBLE DANG.

The next morning I spoke with the dealership and they didn’t have any tires so had to order them… but the news got worse. They found leak in the radiator. TRIPLE DANG. I authorized the repairs and my fiancé and her mom got flights home. A few days later I hoped on a flight to ABQ to grab my new ride. I picked it up early the next morning at the dealership with four new Michelin Pilot Super Sports and some new cooling and hit the road.

About 4 hours later I stopped for gas. When I turned it back on, the SES light came on. YOUVE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME. I finished the drive without further issue.

A few days later I made an appointment at my local dealership…which was probably a mistake but between a kitchen remodel (which I’m doing mostly myself) and getting my 135i and the e46 ready for sale, I just didn’t have time to diagnose the issue myself… because in Texas the SES light is an automatic fail of the safety inspection… which you need to register the car. RATS.

Luckily the dealership had a deal on brakes (it needed new front pads and rotors)do had that done. The SES light ended up being a DMTL pump that the dealership wanted $900 to replace. I told them thanks but no thanks and drove it home. Ended up resetting the codes. I’ve put about 75 miles on it since and the light hasn’t come back on but it’s still showing 4 of the OB2 tests as “not ready.” Not sure what’s up there but I’ll figure it out lol

As you can tell, my e91 ownership has been an adventure so far but I knew it would be. Other then that I love It so far. It definitely needs its fair share of work and TLC but I’m in love.

Now for the fun (the build)….

I’m going to do an N54 swap. I haven’t decided what all I’m going to do but it will stay a manual. I’m not thinking stupid horsepower numbers but at least 400 at the wheels. It’ll get a total suspension upgrade and whatever else comes up (still very early in the planning). I’m also strongly considering doing a slick top conversion and maybe M3 fender flares.

That’s all for now but I’m excited to get it started!
Attached Images

Appreciate 1