E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > E90 CIC 6.5 screen to 8.8

06-25-2022, 04:57 AM   #1
Bobbych
Private
Rep
Drives: 3 series 320d 2010

E90 CIC 6.5 screen to 8.8

I have a business CIC in my 2010 car and have tried in the past to upgrade the screen to a better one by going the Android route and was left utterly disappointed by the screen glare which made it unusable

So I removed it and refitted the 6.5 inch and fitted a carplay MMI box instead which all works great but still on the 6.5 inch screen

Now I have seen questions on using the pro screen on my setup and some say it would not work and some suggest it would, but other CIC OEM would be on the left and may have some distortion

But since I want to use car play and I can set the screen size on the MMi to 8.8 I thought I would try it anyway.

So I purchased a used pro screen from eBay and tried fitting it but I get no output at all.

Now should I at least see something on the screen and have I got a defective screen or is this what happens plugging a pro screen into a business CIC ?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 11:57 AM   #2
dragerboy
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 330D

Everything I've read on this matter suggests to upgrade to larger wide screen you need the upgraded head unit too.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 07:33 AM   #3
ccfj1
Tinkerer
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F25 X3 M-Sport

Nope, the business cic does not have any drivers to drive the larger 8.8" screen (at all, even in 6.5" mode), I tried this and it deffo does not work.

Only F series cars will drive all screen types.

Like drager says, only a pro cic will drive the 8.8" screen.

That said it may be possible to use one of the 8.8" android things to get it working, but its not something Ive tried personally.

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 12:56 PM   #4
Bobbych
Private
Rep

I tried the android screen and it was not a good experience, the screen is too shiny and I was unae to see it most of the daylight hours, even using an anti glare screen just made it white

Like you, I purchased a cheap pro screen and tried it, and yes just a black screen, shame, as I have the MMi box fitted and when I swit h to that it works in wide-screen perfectly, just not the Cic itself
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #5
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbych View Post
I tried the android screen and it was not a good experience, the screen is too shiny and I was unae to see it most of the daylight hours, even using an anti glare screen just made it white

Like you, I purchased a cheap pro screen and tried it, and yes just a black screen, shame, as I have the MMi box fitted and when I swit h to that it works in wide-screen perfectly, just not the Cic itself
There are several different android screens out there so I think it depends on which one you install.

I bought one with "blue antiglare" and it works just fine even in the valley of the sun here in Phoenix, AZ. I also have the non idrive version so it is even more exposed.

I think I paid $80 or so extra to get the better screen at the time.

-Rich
      07-06-2022, 01:33 PM   #6
Bobbych
Private
Rep

Do you have a link to the one you had, to be honest mine was the cheaper one from ALI express, it worked great, but the screen was way too shiny
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2022, 02:06 PM   #7
rbryantaz
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E70 4.8i, 2008 E90 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [7.67]
2007 BMW X5 4.8i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbych View Post
Do you have a link to the one you had, to be honest mine was the cheaper one from ALI express, it worked great, but the screen was way too shiny
Mine is about 3 years old now so the link is dead and the seller doesn't seem to be on aliexpress anymore.

In general I think paying for the better screen just ends up being worth it. If there is an option for an anti-glare screen then I suggest paying for it.

Higher resolution IMO is less important after a point. I don't think it needs to be a retina display or even true1080p for a car screen. I do mainly just use google maps, JB4/MHD apps, and music apps though. I don't tend to watch movies in the car, it is too fast for that....

-Rich
      08-12-2022, 01:16 PM   #8
Akureyri
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 BMW X3 On Order

Android HU and Screen Glare etc

My OEM screen (with blue anti-glare coating) ... Note it's a coating and not a screen overlay protector was discolored and scratched from wiping it with water and a soft microfiber cloth.

To say the OEM E90 screens are sensitive is an understatement. Wipe it with a Dunkin napkin and you're in for the shock of your life.

That brings me Bobbych comment about trying the Android HU but not liking it because of the glare. Bobby is right. The glare is brutal. I bought a 8.8 matte screen protector. You can buy the Lexerd or Avin brand and both work well. Is it as good as the blue anti-glare coating on the OEM? No! Does it work well for me - yes. Plus I get a touch screen that works with iDrive and a screen without scratches on it. That's why I didn't consider the MMI route - as I would have had to purchase a used OEM screen off of eBay and most of these screens are scratched or discolored as well.

Previous Post on e90 - describes recent experience with new Android unit.

Thanks for the advice. I purchased an Android HU and luckily - I ended up purchasing exactly what Luper52 recommended. I bought the 6GB + 128GB Android 11 version 8259. Install was a lot!

3 hiccups:
1. Super hard time finding a spot for the thick wiring harness. Actually had to cut some of the plastic frame to get it to fit on driver's side far left.

2. Once I put everything back together, I had no A/C just heat and no real airflow from front vents. Searched it up and after a lot of trial and error - I realized that I didn't seat the HVAC connection board properly. They looked like they were seated but they weren't. On my fourth try, they seated correctly and A/C was back!

3. Unit advertised as "Wireless" CarPlay. However, there was no wireless Carplay. Contacted Seller who said I had to enter the About with a code (8878) and enable AutoLink. He then provided me with an Autolink activation code. I now have Wireless CarPlay. Success! Have the 2 USB dongels hanging which is convenient for charging iPhone and even when plugged in... doesn't seem to interfere with Wireless CarPlay.

4. I swapped the fiber optic but am not currently using a DAC (as was suggested) so my sound is via the 3.5mm in the center console. Wished I could hide the cord better but I have an iphone cradle in console blocking me.

Some observations:
A) I've learned it's essentially a Junsun 8259 build and there's some info on the XDA forums on firmware but not a lot in terms of customizations or modifications. How does one use a custom boot logo? Seems complicated.

B) It's a technical unit with a lot of options and no manual. Did I say there's no manual?

C) Bluetooth Telephone is a little wonky for me. My phone is connected to the HU via bluetooth and wireless (for CarPlay). It's also connected to BMW OEM bluetooth. I thought I was using my OEM microphone (as I didn't install the one provided with the HU) and callers on the other end say it's not crystal clear. When I turn Wi-Fi off (and disconnect from CarPlay) and place call via phone itself... its clear. Weird! Also, when making calls, both the OEM telephone menu shows along with the Android? box on top that cut's off some of the OEM menu.

D) Moving back and forth between CarPlay and the OEM Radio is not the smoothest. I use the iDrive wheel and Menu button sometimes. I actually prefer using the iDrive vs. touchscreen. Sometimes it works and other times it lags or I have to keep pushing Menu or Back on the iDrive. If I move back to CarPlay after radio and don't set it to CD or AUX first, the radio will continue to play if a call comes in or if I attempt to start Spotify or CarPlay sound etc. Really clunky. Not sure how to fix that.

Still getting used to the Android 11 HU. Any comments or suggestions are appreciated. Thank you!