E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > Finally How To Fix Your Cup Holder !!!!

02-12-2022, 07:00 PM   #45
MrSticky
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Question Spring and gear piece

Does anyone know if they sell the spring device and the gear separately, or do I have to buy a whole new cupholder. Cause mine doesn't have either of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2022, 07:30 AM   #46
Overeco
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 335i e92 subaru STI

Idea for another repair method

Hey guys,

I’m new here & new to the BMW world, fell in love with a mates M3 so decided to give a BMW a go as my next car, got my hands on an 07 335i e92, gorgeous car, finding a lot I love about it, however over my month of ownership I’ve found plenty of things I’m going to need to fix, the fix I just did was on the cup holder, let’s just say I was less then elegant, did this method, not very well clearly, didn’t really want to fork out close to $300 AUD for a new part that will probably just have the same thing happen to it in the future, defiantly a major design flaw, my cup holder now functions, closes & ejects (albeit when I eject it only comes out around 10-15% of the way) got me thinking there has to be a better way that’s more elegant, functional & easier been spitballing for about half an hour & started thinking maybe something along the lines of a very small brake line style retention c-clip on the unmolested parts, would basically be the same process but no bending, just clipping the spring back into the hole then putting the clip on to retain it, I would feel a lot better if I hadn’t broken anything in the repair & managed to get it functioning properly, I believe a solution like this may have worked, after some searching I couldn’t find exactly what I was looking for parts wise, but I’m considering contacting a manufacturer to do a run of custom parts possibly.
Just wanted to get thoughts from other people, do you think this would be a viable solution ? Or just leave well enough alone ? Anyone else have any similar ideas ? Look forward to hearing people’s thoughts
Hopefully the attachments worked, apologies in any hiccups with the post, been a long time since I’ve posted anything anywhere 😂

Regards
Josh
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 11:09 AM   #47
brown2hm
Rep
Drives: 2007 e91 328i 6sp, 2017 Golf R

Excellent write up. Just popping in to say thanks a decade later.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 07:17 AM   #48
redhatcode29
Private
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown2hm View Post
Excellent write up. Just popping in to say thanks a decade later.
You are not alone, i have been looking for this as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2022, 04:05 PM   #49
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

I spent $50 for two china cup holders on ebay. Finish is great, holding strong a year later. Was worried they wouldn't be fit on my least desirable beige interior. Would buy again 10/10. Hopefully this china part won't grenade my engine. These cup holders will last until my half sober passengers grenade them with their knee.
Appreciate 0