E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need help with Adaptive lights

06-20-2022, 10:48 PM   #1
gym_carrey
There's always something.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Exclamation Need help with Adaptive lights

Hello! Would need some assistance regarding adaptive lights on my E90.
I recently installed coilovers and yes, the car is low and is running -2.2 rear camber.

I had this hidden code pop for FRM 9CB4 which is for rear adaptive light sensor. Upon inspection, the rear left plug wires were snapped out (3/4) and the sensor was dangling.

Shop removed the sensor and zip tied the wire.
They used ProTools and coded out the adaptive lights. However now, my lights are continuously moving up and down. They weren’t before coding out just unwilling to move. They might dip super low and then go back up high.

Shop says “oh well probably your headlight wiring is fried or you have an incorrect voltage aftermarket bulb. We have done tons of these and never seen this before.”

Everything was okay until they coded out the adaptive lights. It was just the hidden code i went for.

Another Indy guy said to reattach the split wires to the plug and mount the sensor back. Not sure if this is the only solution.

Anyone who can guide me on how to stop them from moving continuously? Because literally the shop said “get new headlights.”
PFA and Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2022, 11:07 PM   #2
gym_carrey
There's always something.
Canada
Rep
Drives: 328i

Garage List
2020 X3 M40i  [0.00]
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HAU...ew?usp=sharing

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1tI2...ew?usp=sharing

In case the pics are not visible.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 01:30 PM   #3
Hoody007
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i ZMZ LCI | 850i/6

Even regular xenons need a height sensor.
Your shop is either incompetent or ignorant. The other shop is correct. Fix the rear xenon height sensor, recode in the adaptive lights, and you should be fine.

A proper shop would also be able to adjust the leveling adaptations to go with the lower suspension.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2022, 02:55 PM   #4
Captain Buumer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325D

Quote:
Shop removed the sensor and zip tied the wire.
They used ProTools and coded out the adaptive lights.
Well there lies your problem. HID system needs the two sensors (one front & one back suspension) to align the beam with motors inside headlights based on load of the car.

So essentially shop just reduced your car functionality.

I don't quite understand why would they remove it.

Quote:
Upon inspection, the rear left plug wires were snapped out (3/4) and the sensor was dangling.
I had similar problem and reattaching it properly was quite simple to do it myself.

If the shop decided to remove it just because it was dangling and looked like too much hassle to fix it... i find the shop quite crap and incompetent noobs.
Surely they charged you for coding session and this looks like a setup by them to you to return with headlights still not working.
This is where they sell you some more services and profit on parts that they claim need to be replaced.

Quote:
Because literally the shop said “get new headlights.”
First they remove your vital headlight aiming sensor and ruin the coding in FRM module.
Then they blame it on bulbs.
Then they blame it on wiring.
Then they suggest buy new headlights.
???
They are scamming you hard or just don't know what they are doing (i'm betting on the latter).

If the wiring is damaged then they probably didn't know how to fix it and just removed it.

Find indy shop who actually knows how to fix cars. That first shop just multiplied your initial problem.

1) Fix the wiring - adding connector back to it.
2) Attaching sensor back to the car
3) Code the car for adaptive xenons.

This is what the first shop didn't do and this order of things will fix your problem.

Last edited by Captain Buumer; 06-26-2022 at 02:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2022, 11:55 AM   #5
Serf27
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Buumer View Post

1) Fix the wiring - adding connector back to it.
2) Attaching sensor back to the car
3) Code the car for adaptive xenons.
+1
Appreciate 0