E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > BMW Coding > proper k+dcan cable for coding in new tpms antenna?

06-13-2022, 09:20 PM   #1
lelandbroadhurst1
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 e90 335xi, 2005 x3 3.0

proper k+dcan cable for coding in new tpms antenna?

Hey e90post! I've been browsing the forums for about 2 years now but this will be my first post.

Lets start off by saying there's probably a thread with the info im looking for, etc blah blah blah but I cant find anything conclusive. Anyways, I just replaced my faulty TPMS antenna (part #36 23 6 771 043), and before I replaced the module, I read conflicting info on whether or not the new module would need to be coded in. I ended up under the impression that you did not need to code in the new module, but after installation and me driving the car a few days, the inactive error I got before the new antenna is still showing up. I've downloaded and educated myself on all the software needed for coding (INPA, NCSexpert, etc) and downloaded them in preparation of coding the new module in. I personally own the MHD Bluetooth adapter that I currently use to flash OTS tunes, diagnostics, monitoring, and basic coding with bimmercode, however I read that my adapter will not work with the more advanced computer software I need to code my new module. So I've been trying to research what k+dcan cable is the best/cheapest that works properly with all my modules, and there's so much conflicting information that I'm just confused. Which cable will properly work with my car and laptop? Can I buy any amazon or ebay cable with the green chip or do I have to buy the bimmergeeks cable to get everything to work properly?

Thanks to everyone in this forum, us DIY people really appreciate all the info and I look forward to being a member!

TLDR I have the MHD adapter but need a proper k+dcan cable to code in new RDC module (TPMS antenna) from my laptop. Can I buy anything with a green chip off amazon/eBay or do I have to spend more on the bimmergeeks cable?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2022, 09:45 PM   #2
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelandbroadhurst1 View Post
Hey e90post! I've been browsing the forums for about 2 years now but this will be my first post.

Lets start off by saying there's probably a thread with the info im looking for, etc blah blah blah but I cant find anything conclusive. Anyways, I just replaced my faulty TPMS antenna (part #36 23 6 771 043), and before I replaced the module, I read conflicting info on whether or not the new module would need to be coded in. I ended up under the impression that you did not need to code in the new module, but after installation and me driving the car a few days, the inactive error I got before the new antenna is still showing up. I've downloaded and educated myself on all the software needed for coding (INPA, NCSexpert, etc) and downloaded them in preparation of coding the new module in. I personally own the MHD Bluetooth adapter that I currently use to flash OTS tunes, diagnostics, monitoring, and basic coding with bimmercode, however I read that my adapter will not work with the more advanced computer software I need to code my new module. So I've been trying to research what k+dcan cable is the best/cheapest that works properly with all my modules, and there's so much conflicting information that I'm just confused. Which cable will properly work with my car and laptop? Can I buy any amazon or ebay cable with the green chip or do I have to buy the bimmergeeks cable to get everything to work properly?

Thanks to everyone in this forum, us DIY people really appreciate all the info and I look forward to being a member!

TLDR I have the MHD adapter but need a proper k+dcan cable to code in new RDC module (TPMS antenna) from my laptop. Can I buy anything with a green chip off amazon/eBay or do I have to spend more on the bimmergeeks cable?
Tpms antennaes do not need to be coded. The module itself does if you replace the tpms module but all you need to do is reset tpms in idrive or cluster after replacement of the antennae. What is your error code?

The best kdcan cable I've used is the bimmergeeks kdcan. Most reliable and has updated firmware to flash some modules you can't flash with old firmware. For coding though any standard kdcan will work.

Going to add BMW TIS instructions on changing the antennae.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 12:04 PM   #3
lelandbroadhurst1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sd********* View Post
Tpms antennaes do not need to be coded. The module itself does if you replace the tpms module but all you need to do is reset tpms in idrive or cluster after replacement of the antennae. What is your error code?

The best kdcan cable I've used is the bimmergeeks kdcan. Most reliable and has updated firmware to flash some modules you can't flash with old firmware. For coding though any standard kdcan will work.

Going to add BMW TIS instructions on changing the antennae.
Well that picture on bmw tis is exactly what I replaced (little box under the car). Tried resetting tpms but still comes back with the INACTIVE message on dash and in idrive with a tire pressure light on my dash. No codes thrown in the ecu when I scanned through MHD. I did get the exterior interference code on the idrive once after installation but never again. The tpms sensors were put in my wheels maybe a month ago when I swapped to my summer tire setup, but I guess maybe I should swap over back to my old setup that the tpms definitely worked on and see if the issue persists. Other than that I cant think of much else in the tpms system that would cause that error.

Also, thanks for the info on the k+dcan cable. I think i'll just get the bimmergeeks cable and know that everything should work as it should.

Last edited by lelandbroadhurst1; 06-14-2022 at 12:05 PM.. Reason: forgot to finish a sentance haha
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 12:43 PM   #4
sdbmwcoding
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

What year and model bmw do you have? It's a little confusing but the tpms antennae actually looks like the rdc module on lci vehicles and in the same location I believe. So it's possible you replaced the module and not the antennae.

Mhd will only scan your ecu codes. You'll want to use a scanner that scans all modules in the vehicle to check for rdc/tpms errors. That'll help you pinpoint what the cause of the error code is.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 12:51 PM   #5
lelandbroadhurst1
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What year and model bmw do you have? It's a little confusing but the tpms antennae actually looks like the rdc module on lci vehicles and in the same location I believe. So it's possible you replaced the module and not the antennae.

Mhd will only scan your ecu codes. You'll want to use a scanner that scans all modules in the vehicle to check for rdc/tpms errors. That'll help you pinpoint what the cause of the error code is.
Hmm... interesting. It's a 2008 e90 335xi, built in 09/2007. I'll go scan it again using bimmerlink/bimmercode and see if those pick up the codes in the other modules and report back. Thanks for the help so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 01:13 PM   #6
lelandbroadhurst1
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Code that comes back is 604E, “Error RDC system” and it says error present and stored.
Appreciate 0