E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > Vanos solenoid replacement

11-25-2014, 01:40 PM   #23
neyshule
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 328XI

cool, I really learned!! I need to buy new solenoid instead of cleaning it since my car is built in 2008/03 which I believe using the old one....
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 03:13 PM   #24
cliffschum
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 330

Runwild and others --

Did the new Vanos solenoid make a noticeable difference ? I own a 2006 330i, and am debating whether to clean or replace ?

Also, my code is a 2A98, not the 2A82 and 2A87 that are referenced when you go to look up the solenoids. Could 2A98 be telling me that it's not this solenoid ?

Thanks,

Cliff
2006 330i
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2014, 11:59 PM   #25
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i 06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Also there are filters for each solenoid in the head that can get clogged and may cause drivability problems.
Interesting, more info on this somewhere ? I just got the dreaded 2a82 again. I cleaned and swapped the solenoids 6 month ago and that fixed the issues, but it's back. At some point, my engine ate the oil filter bypass valve, and I have been running unfiltered oil for some time so that seems very related.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
woodpecka
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: E91

I got 3 error on the last 2 month, 2A98 and 2A82 .

I also got the cold weather / moisture in oil problem (low oil level indicator)

I cleaned and swapped the solenoid and changed oil. So far so good, after 300km and 2 weeks, no check engine warning came back. Also, the engine feel to run a little bit better since.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 09:02 AM   #27
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffschum View Post
Runwild and others --

Did the new Vanos solenoid make a noticeable difference ? I own a 2006 330i, and am debating whether to clean or replace ?

Also, my code is a 2A98, not the 2A82 and 2A87 that are referenced when you go to look up the solenoids. Could 2A98 be telling me that it's not this solenoid ?

Thanks,

Cliff
2006 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meeni View Post
Interesting, more info on this somewhere ? I just got the dreaded 2a82 again. I cleaned and swapped the solenoids 6 month ago and that fixed the issues, but it's back. At some point, my engine ate the oil filter bypass valve, and I have been running unfiltered oil for some time so that seems very related.

Sorry for a very late response guys, havent been on the forum in months. Hopefully the cars are running well now, but in my opinion, cleaning an old vanos solenoid will only be a temporary fix. I wouldnt even bother. Ive had my car running better than ever before since the vanos have been replaced. Ive had the car 18 months now and its been running incredible. If bmw issues a new part then its because the prior part is known to be problematic. I always refer to realoem.com for part number specifics. Its specific to your exact vehicle refering to its vin number and production date and it will specify if a part has been discontinued and will show the new part number as well. Hope someone can find this information useful!
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 10:13 AM   #28
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

So I looked on realOEM and according to the parts list, the solenoid P/N seems to not have been changed. I ran the P/N you said (11367516293) was on the old part and it didn't come up as a part in realOEM. Usually when BMW updates a part it shows the old part with "ENDED", so I'm not sure the original solenoid valve was updated. On my car ('06 325i - April 2006 build), I've just been cleaning and swapping the solenoid valves every 50,000 miles or so. They seem to still be working fine (code free) at 275K.
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2015, 10:18 AM   #29
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Sorry, never saw this reply. Now that I've seen it, my response is I thought someone had posted a DIY on replacing the filter, but I can't find it now. But the cylinder head has these Item 7 parts, which is what I think was called a filter in the mysterious DIY I can't find P/N 11367541692
Attached Images

A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 1
      02-21-2015, 05:11 PM   #30
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep
Drives: '05 E90 330i Manual

Garage List
These are hardly ever looked at when there is a Vanos problem, and yet, from my research and understanding they play a major part in the function of the Vanos and the solenoids (that is the filtering of the oil and oil flow). And if you take a look at just how fine the filtering holes are, it is easy to think that the chances of them becoming blocked and restrictive is fairly good.

This is what they look like BTW:

Appreciate 1
      02-22-2015, 12:35 AM   #31
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

Cool, answers!

The issue returned again with cold weather. Fault on intake vanos, does not follow the solenoid swap, made worse with cold (thickened oil) or braking (g-force induced low pressure?).

I am very interested in trying these replacement parts, they are cheap, but they look annoying to access. I tried to look for them quickly but I could not see them, I know they should be between the exhaust pipe #1 and the cam tensioner, still couldn't see.

The Bentley is silent about these. If anybody has a good DIY or access to the DIS page, I'm interested.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #32
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
These are hardly ever looked at when there is a Vanos problem, and yet, from my research and understanding they play a major part in the function of the Vanos and the solenoids (that is the filtering of the oil and oil flow). And if you take a look at just how fine the filtering holes are, it is easy to think that the chances of them becoming blocked and restrictive is fairly good.

This is what they look like BTW:

Yup, that's the part. I looked again for the DIY and can't find it. Maybe I dreamt it... I've also quickly looked for the location of parts on the head and can't find them. Once we get closer to spring I'm taking the E90 off the road for a few weeks to refurb some stuff. I plan on tackling replacement of this part. I'll through a DIY together then.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #33
Meeni
Gateropode
Rep

I found a picture, took me some time because the guys wanted to boast their custom headers instead:

The two torx sticks immediately to the right of the exhaust #1, in the recess under the black metal holder.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:23 AM   #34
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I found a picture, took me some time because the guys wanted to boast their custom headers instead:

The two torx sticks immediately to the right of the exhaust #1, in the recess under the black metal holder.
Good find. Time for a mirror... Or next time I pull the wheelwell liner.
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 04:44 PM   #35
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
I used my camera phone with its flash light on to take a vid and locate these two check valves. Easiest way to get to them is to remove the forward wheel well liner on the right hand side of the car. Should have taken a pic of this when I was doing the thermostat DIY, was going to do this at the same time, but decided to save this for another day and first test the newly fitted thermostat, which of course has not solved my over-cooled engine running. But anyway, that is indeed them as per the pic above.

Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 07:10 PM   #36
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

I found this BMW after sales training on VANOS which is pretty interesting. I would attach it but it's trapped in Scribd and I can't get the PDF.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/91511075/BMW-szelepvezerles
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 09:31 AM   #37
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigYahi View Post
I found this BMW after sales training on VANOS which is pretty interesting. I would attach it but it's trapped in Scribd and I can't get the PDF.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/91511075/BMW-szelepvezerles
That's pretty cool! Must try and find a way to download this!

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 09:43 AM   #38
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Can somebody please put an arrow or circle on the picture?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 10:53 AM   #39
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleWede View Post
Can somebody please put an arrow or circle on the picture?
It's those two items screwed into the head just forward of the 1 bank of exhaust manifolds. Added arrows here:
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
519.E82245.00
      02-23-2015, 11:17 AM   #40
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
So (Three_Thirty_I) when you changed your 'filters':

1. Could you get reasonable access through the wheelarch?
2. Was there any evidence that they were becoming blocked?
3. Was it necessary to replace them, or would cleaning suffice?
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #41
TheBigYahi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6MT

I believe this is the thread you're looking for:

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=900394
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2015, 11:48 AM   #42
Three_thirty_I
Lieutenant Colonel
South Africa
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil325i View Post
So (Three_Thirty_I) when you changed your 'filters':

1. Could you get reasonable access through the wheelarch?
2. Was there any evidence that they were becoming blocked?
3. Was it necessary to replace them, or would cleaning suffice?
Haven't fitted them yet, but bought them when I bought the new thermostat etc. The new thermostat fitted but is has made no difference to my operating temperatures, so not really all that motivated to fit these check valves just yet.

1.) I reckon there is more than enough space to access them even without taking the forward wheel well liner off, but no way of seeing what you are doing, and preventing an oily mess. So I reckon with the forward wheel well liner off it should be pretty straight forward.

2.) It's a hunch that I am going on really, have read about issues caused by these being blocked, and on speaking to a parts guy at a local BMW dealer based on my car's problem, he seemed to think that this is worth looking at. The filter holes are so fine that it makes sense that they are fairly easily blocked.

3.) I am sure that in many cases they can be cleaned, but it also depends on how dirty they are and if there is any traces of sludge which can cause them to be very blocked (seen pics of caked on sludge on these filters). Cleaning is worth trying, but they are not expensive, so replacing makes sense I reckon.

I will definitely update once I get around to fitting them, will most likely post a DIY too.

Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 01:15 PM   #43
Phil325i
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 325i MSport Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three_thirty_I View Post
I will definitely update once I get around to fitting them, will most likely post a DIY too.
That would be great. Many thanks.
E92 pre-LCI 325i - Ohlins R&T; H&R spacers; M3 strut brace; Swift thrust sheets; 3 x chassis braces; diff brace; N53 V-brace; 034 subframe inserts; BMS clutch stop; BMS CDV; RE g/box mounts; Delrin shift bushes; Saikoumichi OCC; Cyba scoops; BMW Perf Exhaust; HEL s/steel brake hoses; M3 rear spoiler; Recaro Sportster CSs; M3 white dash LEDs; LED Angels; LED side repeaters; BMW Perf black grille; CSL reps; SSDD carbon diffuser; Monster Wrap black roof/clear front
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2015, 08:38 PM   #44
runwild
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
So I looked on realOEM and according to the parts list, the solenoid P/N seems to not have been changed. I ran the P/N you said (11367516293) was on the old part and it didn't come up as a part in realOEM. Usually when BMW updates a part it shows the old part with "ENDED", so I'm not sure the original solenoid valve was updated. On my car ('06 325i - April 2006 build), I've just been cleaning and swapping the solenoid valves every 50,000 miles or so. They seem to still be working fine (code free) at 275K.
The catalog on real oem used to display the part as a discontinued or ended part. It no longer displays it so i would imagine they just took it off the site all together. At the time i replaced the part it was listed as discontinued. if you research it via the part number through google you will probably find more information, but regardless if anyone having vanos problems has the old part number that i originally posted i would replace it if its being problematic. The fact that the part isnt even available anymore would be enough of a reason to just replace it.
Appreciate 0