E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Stage 2 Detailing with Quartz application

08-11-2017, 03:19 AM   #1
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Stage 2 Detailing with Quartz application

I want to restore my cars paint to what it looked like when it came out of the factory.

My local shop quoted me 1200 to perform a stage 2 "detail?" which promises ridding the car of all swirls and then applying a Quartz protection.

Does this sound right? Or should I be looking for some other service?
      08-11-2017, 08:24 AM   #2
jkrig
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07' e90 335i (SGM)

I would call around get some other quotes, could be the "going rate" for your area....don't be afraid to check their social media as well and see their work, maybe even stopping by their shop to see if you can check out a recently completed service that is similar to the one they are offering you....ask about the coating and expected/advertised durability(of course there are caveats there)...compare that to other quotes as well.
      08-11-2017, 10:09 AM   #3
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

That certainly does not sound unreasonable. A multi-step correction and coating job is a very time consuming project
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #4
eamon
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 e92 335i, 2010 328i (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
That certainly does not sound unreasonable. A multi-step correction and coating job is a very time consuming project
Thanks for the response, could you explain how a multi-step correction may differ from a regular paint correcting detail? Would the difference be noticeable in quality?

The difference in price is just under 800
      08-13-2017, 02:37 PM   #5
Venger
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi Msport

Garage List
2011 335xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
I am ready to pull the trigger on auto correction too and not sure if it would be something I have time for or if I should take it to the shop. So, would be interested in knowing the difference between multi-step correction vs non. My car is 2011 black sapphire.
2011 N55 E92 335xi |Pure Stage 2 |GFB Diverter |Pure Inlet|MHD|Fuel-It S2 LPFP|VRSF DP|VRSF CP| VRSF 7.5 Race IC|Cobb Exhaust|BMS CAI|BMS OCC |ER Oil Cooler|XHP S3 |Xdelete |KW V3 Coilovers |UUC Front Sway Bar|UUC Front Endlinks|M3 Rear Sway Bar|Hotchkis Rear Endlinks|Vorschlag Camber Plates |18" Apex Arc 8 RE71R 255/35R18 square |Wavetrac LSD
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 08:52 PM   #6
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Paint Correction is the act of removing superficial defects from the paint by leveling the clear coat in order to produce a flatter, and therefore glossier finish.

In order to level the clear coat, various compounds and polishes are used.

A one-step paint correction process is a process that, as you might have guessed, only involves a single step of correction work. For instance, a light polish might be used to remove finer defects to enhance gloss, however if the vehicle was not in above average shape to begin with, there will likely be many defects leftover.

In this case, a multi-step paint correction process should be utilized to maximize the correction rate. A multi-step process begins with a cutting step, where a cutting compound is typically used to level the majority of the defects, however these more aggressive compounds do not produce optimal clarity and gloss which is why we must then follow up with further refining steps to remove any haze/marring that was created by the cutting process.

So, your detailer should have personally inspected your vehicle to determine the extent of the damage to your clear coat and then made recommendations on what type of service would best fit your personal needs. Not everyone is seeking perfect (or near perfect) paint, and therefore not everyone needs a multi-step paint correction job. If you a shinier car, but are not overly concerned with remaining defects, a single step paint correction approach may be the best option for you. If you want to maximize the defect removal in an attempt to remove as many defects as reasonably possible, then a multi-step approach is going to be the right choice.

(I will post photos to go along with these explanation when I get back to my computer... currently on my phone where it is not easy to embed photos to posts )

Zach McGovern
Professional Detailer
Detailed Image "Ask-A-Pro Blog" Author
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2017, 09:34 PM   #7
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Multi-Step Paint Correction - this particular example involved 1 cutting step, and 1 polishing step for a total of 2 steps.

Before - very easy to see this Porsche had seen some use

During - after the cutting process, the majority of defects had been removed, however the finish is left hazy and is drastically lacking clarity.

After - after the final polishing process was completed, the finish was crystal clear and looked incredible.

The full article can be seen here: 1999 Porsche 996 Paint Correction and 22ple Coating

Keep in mind, all of this can be accomplished on your own if you are in fact a DIYer. I go over the basics of a two-step paint correction process in this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=3Ade4Mqq_6I

This video is featured in this article which contains some more helpful tips and other great photos of the process and results...
Two Step Paint Correction Overview and Video Demo: 1937 Ford Coupe Hot Rod by Zach McGovern

Here is an example of a one-step paint correction on a vehicle that could have benefited from a multi-step process had the owner's been concerned about flawless paint.

Before - swirls and scratches present

After - a medium polish was used to remove the swirl marks, however some moderate to heavy scratches remain visible. Due to the light paint color, these defects will be very difficult to see under normal lighting conditions.

I hope that helps!

Please let me know if you have any questions. I will do my best to provide as much assistance as possible. If you are interested in learning to DIY, I can absolutely help get you started with everything you need to tackle the job.

Zach McGovern
Professional Detailer
Detailed Image Ask-A-Pro Blog Authoer
Appreciate 1
Bobh5952.00
      08-14-2017, 02:45 PM   #8
biz77
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3 M40i

I'm not sure what the going rate is in the DFW area, but up here that's about what I would expect to pay for a "premium" exterior correction with ceramic coating to top it off on a small car. You have to remember this isn't a couple of "undocumented workers" in a van with some dish detergent, buckets, rags and a bottle of Armor All. These are professionals that are paid a professional salary due to the quality of work... and it's generally back breaking work, especially in the Texas heat. Figure a two stage correction and ceramic coat application is likely a 20+ hour job.
As mentioned, check out their social media page. If they are showing off much of their detail work on exotics, then they are likely the real deal and you can expect to pay a premium and get premium work in exchange. Also consider what type of warranty and support they provide once the initial work is done. Locally it's not uncommon to see a 5-year guarantee/warranty on ceramic coatings.
You have to decide for yourself if $1,200 is worth it to you. For most people it's not. For most people with 5+ year-old daily driven vehicles, it's certainly not. Consider what your car is worth and how long you plan on keeping it. Think about what happens if you get into an accident that totals your car a week after that detail work is done. Maybe this shop offers a package for $500-$600 that you would be perfectly happy with?
The one thing you should steer clear of is the $199 detail places that promise to give you the moon for that price. At best you're going to get your interior wiped down, carpets steam cleaned, glass cleaned, a hand wash and possibly some buffer tracks from someone inexperienced running a rotary buffer over your paint way too quickly. If you're lucky they will forego the buffer and just apply a glaze/wax to cover up the surface imperfections, which will last approximately the next couple of car washes.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 09:57 AM   #9
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

I am not pro, but i do very nice work. I charge 22.50/hr. So that would be 53hrs of work, I could get a sh!t ton of stuff done in that amount of time. (ive worked in a body shop for 3yrs, I have a good bit of knowledge)

I not a fan of coatings, only applied one once and it took me forever since it was my first run at it, but 1200 is a good bit of bread there man.

I personally wouldn't spend beyond 800. If you look around more and more, i bet you can find someone cheaper.
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:38 PM   #10
drmdvl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 X5 50i, 2015 Macan Turbo

Garage List
For a professional job, sounds about right. After that kind of investment, you'll have to learn how to properly maintain it so you're not reintroducing swirls and scratches during your cleaning / drying etc..
If interested, it may be worth it to invest your time learning and 1200 in some products to do it yourself.
Just a thought