E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein B12 Kit Impressions

07-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #23
Timujin
Major
Rep
Drives: GMC Sierra

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Shit man! That could have put stress on the shock piston too and might have shortened it's life.
      07-27-2015, 09:04 PM   #24
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i M-Sport

Update! Took it back to the shop and they put in a new bolt on the bottom and tightened the upper mount and everything feels great now. I'm still eventually going to get M3 RSFB, but at the moment I am very happy with the car again.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #25
Antetokounmpo
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 6MT FBO; '18 F150 Platinum

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatch10 View Post
Update! Took it back to the shop and they put in a new bolt on the bottom and tightened the upper mount and everything feels great now. I'm still eventually going to get M3 RSFB, but at the moment I am very happy with the car again.

Thanks for the input everyone!
Glad to hear! I'm loving mine, and they'll be even better once it's aligned on thursday.

2008 335xi 6MT | VRSF Catless DP | VRSF 7" FMIC | VRSF CP | TIAL BOV | DCI | MHD 2+
BC Racing BR | Stoptech 600 | Firehawk Indy 500 255 Square | Atric Altimax 225 Sq.
2018 F-150 Platinum 701A | FX4 | 3.5 EcoBeast
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #26
dleccord
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i E90

That’s why I don’t trust those race/performance shops. They have ton of cars they need to get through within a certain time frame. Ain’t no quality in that.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2017, 08:52 PM   #27
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdgatti View Post
It is hard to say what is wrong, impossible actually without getting the car thoroughly checked out, but here is what I would do:

1. make sure the correct eibach springs/shocks were put on your car for the type of car, ie 328/335, sedan/coupe/convertible
2. confirm the install was done correctly and everything was torqued correctly
3. ride on the bilsteins about a month to let them break in.
4. get an alignment at a good bmw indie shop or the dealer
5. evaluate further from there
What he said &

1) install m3 Control Arms,
2) m3 subframe bushings
3) m3 differential bushings
4) Hotchkiss front & rear sway bar end links
5) new tie rods

Do the above & the car will feel extremely planted to the road.

it's probably more like 4,000 miles for the b12 kit to fully break in. Remember, you now have a suspension that is regarded as better than the m-sport suspension and is a couple steps shy of the m3.

You added some major stiffness to the car. Newton's 3rd law. For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction.

You are gonna need to balance some things out now
Appreciate 1
DukerHD11.00
      07-11-2018, 08:32 PM   #28
DukerHD
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E90 335i FBO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
What he said &

2) m3 subframe bushings
5) new tie rods

it's probably more like 4,000 miles for the b12 kit to fully break in. Remember, you now have a suspension that is regarded as better than the m-sport suspension and is a couple steps shy of the m3.

You added some major stiffness to the car. Newton's 3rd law. For every action there is a equal and opposite reaction.

Hey man, sorry to revive an old thread. This is a good list for me as I am trying to figure out what suspension setup I want to go with. In your list, you said sway bar end links but no upgraded sway bars. If I get the B12 kit and these 5 things, do I need upgraded sway bars or is this with the stock sways?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:06 PM   #29
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
I recently had the B12 kit installed because of all the positive reviews on here and I have to be honest when I say it made my car feel worse and more unpredictable. I know there is a 2-3k mile break-in period so maybe I should hold off on my opinion, but the car just doesn't feel as planted anymore. I had new front control arms and the alignment pins removed at the same time along with the ECS install kit.

I'm not concerned about the harshness because I expected that based on everything I've read. My concern is that the rear of the car feels very loose and if I hit a bump it seems to sway left to right. Is this an install issue or is something causing this?
Get M3 subframe bushings in the rear & M3 differential bushings

In the front, get m3 control arms & new tie rods.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2018, 10:12 PM   #30
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DukerHD View Post
Quote:
What he said &

2) m3 subframe bushings
5) new tie rods

Hey man, sorry to revive an old thread. This is a good list for me as I am trying to figure out what suspension setup I want to go with. In your list, you said sway bar end links but no upgraded sway bars. If I get the B12 kit and these 5 things, do I need upgraded sway bars or is this with the stock sways?

Thanks
Stock sway bars. However, I nice upgrade would be to go with Eibach sway bars for $277.00. They are tuned to the Eibach springs in the B12 kit.

I haven't done it, but it's on my list.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 07:58 AM   #31
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks
Just so you know, the B12 kit is on back order and there is no ETA for when it will be available.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:33 PM   #32
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Just so you know, the B12 kit is on back order and there is no ETA for when it will be available.
I have seen ship dates of August 16th for the B12 kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 06:36 PM   #33
chatch10
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Which site? Everything I've seen says it's on back order.
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2018, 08:44 PM   #34
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Thanks
Which site? Everything I've seen says it's on back order.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/b...SAAEgLVUvD_BwE
Appreciate 1
      07-12-2018, 10:34 PM   #35
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

I dont put any faith in that. My last order of Koni FSD's showed a ship date 1 day after my order and weeks later, they still hadn't shipped.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #36
bimmaholic540
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i M-Sport

So I have a 335i with M-Sport and considering the B12 kit to fix some handling issues after replacing the stock run-flat tires with non-run flats.

To save installation cost, and because the B12 kits seems backordered everywhere, I am considering just starting with the dampers only.

Anyone know:

1. if I can use the B8 dampers with the stock (M-Sport) springs? (or would I need the B6)

2. if this combination makes any sense and should be an improvement?

NOTE: The extisting stock dampers are toast at 100K, and that is obviously contributing to the problems below.

Before answering, please consider exactly what I am trying to fix. (A) The squishy feel in cornering (excessive roll), (B) less solid/glued feeling at speed, and (C) loss of contact on rough surfaces.

Again, the grip is fine and no under/oversteer (on smooth pavement), it just rolls like a boat. On slightly bumpy surface, it gets squirrely and all of the above are issues.

[EDIT: Forgot to mention, I am NOT concerned so much with smooth ride quality, and really do not need a compromise here. On the scale of Go-Kart to Cadillac, my preference for this car would be 80-90% leaning toward Go-Kart]

TIA for any advice

Last edited by bimmaholic540; 07-25-2018 at 04:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #37
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmaholic540 View Post
So I have a 335i with M-Sport and considering the B12 kit to fix some handling issues after replacing the stock run-flat tires with non-run flats.

To save installation cost, and because the B12 kits seems backordered everywhere, I am considering just starting with the dampers only.

Anyone know:

1. if I can use the B8 dampers with the stock (M-Sport) springs? (or would I need the B6)

NOTE: The extisting stock dampers are toast at 100K, and that is obviously contributing to the problems below.

Before answering, please consider exactly what I am trying to fix. (A) The squishy feel in cornering (excessive roll), (B) less solid/glued feeling at speed, and (C) loss of contact on rough surfaces.

Again, the grip is fine and no under/oversteer (on smooth pavement), it just rolls like a boat. On slightly bumpy surface, it gets squirrely and all of the above are issues.

[EDIT: Forgot to mention, I am NOT concerned so much with smooth ride quality, and really do not need a compromise here. On the scale of Go-Kart to Cadillac, my preference for this car would be 80-90% leaning toward Go-Kart]

TIA for any advice
Just wait till the B12 kit comes in stock. I hear it will be in mid-August.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #38
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone know:

TIA for any advice
I have B6 and stock sport springs on my 09 e90.
It's firm and taught. Just what you're looking for. You WILL feel low speed road imperfections more, but at highway speeds, Bilsteins are amazing.

I went B6 because I was told by many that's what goes with stock std OR stock sport suspension. Some believe the B8 would be better suited to sport suspension springs.

I'm in NYC and don't care about lowering: I care about durability and control.

I think some upgraded sway bars might help you with roll control, but I'm not sure what to go with without compromising ride quality too much. There are a million options.

Also look into Dinan or Monroe rear shock mounts. I have stock, but understand these are a good upgrade that reduce the humpty-bump in he read end. When I get time I'll get to those as well.

Suggest staying away from Conti DWS06 tires.

I went from Michelin AS3 to the Contis for comfort, but it's a HUGE compromise in control and steering response, for a VERY SLIGHT upgrade in comfort. I will be going back to Michelins when it's time.

FWIW: I could use some new control arms probably...
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 10:16 AM   #39
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire007 View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone know:

TIA for any advice
It's firm and taught. Just what you're looking for. You WILL feel low speed road imperfections more, but at highway speeds, Bilsteins are amazing.

I went B6 because I was told by many that's what goes with stock std OR stock sport suspension. Some believe the B8 would be better suited to sport suspension springs.

I think some upgraded sway bars might help you with roll control, but I'm not sure what to go with without compromising ride quality too much. There are a million options.

Also look into Dinan or Monroe rear shock mounts. I have stock, but understand these are a good upgrade that reduce the humpty-bump in he read end. When I get time I'll get to those as well.

I went from Michelin AS3 to the Contis for comfort, but it's a HUGE compromise in control and steering response, for a VERY SLIGHT upgrade in comfort. I will be going back to Michelins when it's time.

How many miles on your car?

M3 control arms plus new tie rods will give you a whole different feel on control.

Maybe look into Eibach front & rear sway bars, but I wouldn't do that unless you went with the b12 lowering kit just because the Eibach swaybars are tuned to the Eibach lowering springs found in the B12 kit.

The car will have a sleeker look with the b12 kit, and it will handle considerably better. No question. In my opinion, the b12 kit is about as close to an M3 suspension a 335i will get.

I ask about your mileage on the car, because you may want to consider dropping the rear subframe out of the car & redoing all the control arm bushings, differential bushings & subframe bushings. If you upgrade to M3 subframe & differential bushings, you will feel a difference to be sure..
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 11:53 AM   #40
Spitfire007
Captain
Rep
Drives: 09 328i Sport 6MT

Garage List
2009 BMW 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone know:

TIA for any advice

M3 control arms plus new tie rods will give you a whole different feel on control.

Maybe look into Eibach front & rear sway bars, but I wouldn't do that unless you went with the b12 lowering kit just because the Eibach swaybars are tuned to the Eibach lowering springs found in the B12 kit.

The car will have a sleeker look with the b12 kit, and it will handle considerably better. No question. In my opinion, the b12 kit is about as close to an M3 suspension a 335i will get.

I ask about your mileage on the car, because you may want to consider dropping the rear subframe out of the car & redoing all the control arm bushings, differential bushings & subframe bushings. If you upgrade to M3 subframe & differential bushings, you will feel a difference to be sure..
90k.
But that's with 40k hard NYC miles.
No shimmies and no squeaks so far!
I really don't want the car to ride harder or stiffer. It's a family car and needs to be compliant, so I'm staying away from things that would increase NVH...but that's for the input!
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2018, 01:09 PM   #41
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Anyone know:

TIA for any advice

90k.
But that's with 40k hard NYC miles.
No shimmies and no squeaks so far!
I really don't want the car to ride harder or stiffer. It's a family car and needs to be compliant, so I'm staying away from things that would increase NVH...but that's for the input!
M3 control arms & bushings will not increase NVH. Stiffness yes. Just FYI. The m3 control arms will transform the feel of the car for sure. You will feel even more connected to the road.
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2018, 11:54 PM   #42
boosthead
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 328ix

Current expected ship date for the B12 kit is mid October according to at least one vendor.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 10:53 AM   #43
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by boosthead View Post
Current expected ship date for the B12 kit is mid October according to at least one vendor.
If you go to eBay and type in Bilstein B12 kit BMW e90, you will get tons of vendors selling them in Europe.

Just an observation.

Personally, I'd be careful about this one. I'd only buy from a highly reputable vendor.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2018, 12:42 PM   #44
Phyrexia
Resident Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 335i 8AT

I talked to Bilstein at Bimmerfest and the issue is that E9X is old and low priority, and then on top of that, European vendors have priority for stock over US vendors.

May I suggest the BMW Performance Suspension? It's great.