E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos > dad wants a new car for work.

02-05-2009, 02:01 PM   #23
im spencer
Back in the f80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
euro style van ftw!!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 05:58 PM   #24
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Tell him to get better organized, minimize the junk and get a 135i. The back seats fold down and he'll get to wherever he's going much faster.
      02-05-2009, 06:41 PM   #25
Draman
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F06 650i, G05 X5, Taycan turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post

tell your dad to watch this
I'm not much of a truck guy so I have no idea who makes the best truck but I'll be damned if I'll let a Ford commercial convince me that a Ford is better than it's rivals. If I see an unbiased source provide this sort of testing material then I might be swayed, but a Ford produced segment full of Ford engineers and Ford spokesmen? No thanks

G05 X5 m50i Mineral White / Tartufo

Porsche Taycan Turbo Carrara White / Limestone Beige
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 07:14 PM   #26
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars

this may sound funny but how about

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 07:15 PM   #27
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Tell him to get better organized, minimize the junk and get a 135i. The back seats fold down and he'll get to wherever he's going much faster.
lol i dont think you can fit +20 boxes of drinks and 50lbs of flour in that car
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2009, 08:17 PM   #28
amgthis
Tire Racks
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 1M Coupè

Used X5 4.8is. Still a great car, great exhaust note too.
      02-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #29
E92AXM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

2009 ram 1500 You can walk into a dealer and get a killer deal on 1 right now. Plus with the right options it sby far the best looking truck out right now. I was always a ford trucks guy but i saw a brand new 09 ram the other day and it looked plain bad ass.
Check this truck out . Loaded for $31k and i bet you could easily get it for under that.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Cars-...3A1|240%3A1318
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 04:32 PM   #30
dillon733
Major
Rep
Drives: Jet Black e92 M3

1st choice SRT8 jeep
2nd choice X5
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #31
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Slow/Fat

What's with all this X5 BMW fanboi crap for a suggestion. The thing is god aweful offroad and it doesn't compare to the competition in terms of what it hauls or can hold inside.

I vote: Brand new Toyota Sequioa

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 04:38 PM   #32
Bimmer007
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
holy crap, I had no idea the toyota's were that flimsy with the frame/bed
thats a good video
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 04:41 PM   #33
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep
Drives: Audi RS Q8

Garage List
Honda Ridgeline.
      02-09-2009, 05:12 PM   #34
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by methodtim View Post
Honda Ridgeline.
You're suggesting an Odyssey with a truck bed?

And a fact check here. The Tundra's 5.7 V8 has 381 HP and 401 lb of torque. The Dodge's 5.7 V8 has 390 HP and 410 lb of torque. The Silverado's 6.2 V8 makes 403 HP and 417 lb of torque. The F-150's 5.4 V8 has 310 lb and 365 lb of torque.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:41 PM   #35
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post

And a fact check here. The Tundra's 5.7 V8 has 381 HP and 401 lb of torque. The Dodge's 5.7 V8 has 390 HP and 410 lb of torque. The Silverado's 6.2 V8 makes 403 HP and 417 lb of torque. The F-150's 5.4 V8 has 310 lb and 365 lb of torque.
The Silverado's 6.2L I believe is only available in HD.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 05:45 PM   #36
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by quagmire View Post
Sure, why not? I may be biased (I own one), but I love my truck. It does everything I need a truck to do (hauls all the household stuff I would ever need plus plenty of room for wife and kid), everything I want a truck to do (4WD for snowboarding, high-ish clearance for summer camping trips on unpaved areas), and it has the one killer feature that no other truck in its class has - a lockable trunk in the bed. The trunk allows me to carry all the stuff I need to keep clean and dry (i.e., a stroller, sleeping bags, etc.), while not impinging on the room in the bed.

OP's requirements were:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillLee View Post
Right now he drives a Lexus LX470 (+100,000 miles on it) and he wants to trade it for a new truck or SUV for under $50,000. he carries a lot crap in the back too so there needs to be space. and its going to be driven everyday so i told him to get a toyota thundra but he doesn't like those.
I was half-joking when I suggested a Ridgeline. I believe that no one in their right mind would really go from a Lexus to a Ridgeline, it just lacks a lot of the luxury and refinement of the Lexus. But then again, OP suggested a Tundra, and I think that the Ridgeline is a much better choice than the Tundra, especially if the requirement is just that his dad "carries a lot of crap".
      02-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #37
quagmire
I am Gundam
Rep
Drives: 2017 Camaro 2SS

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
The Silverado's 6.2L I believe is only available in HD.
It's available in the 1500. Though only in the crew cab.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:30 PM   #38
BillLee
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
09 E92 M3  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by joonsup View Post

tell your dad to watch this
i showed it to him. thanks!
we're leaning towards the f-150 now
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:36 PM   #39
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
I don't know about the latest generation, but I drove the last F-150 for a week. That thing drove like shit and the build quality was absolute trash. For instance, every time I went over a speed bump, my radio would turn off (if on) or on (if off). Rattles, squeeks, body roll worse than a fat chick on a surfboard. Man, oh man, I swear, I do not know what it says about the American consumer that this is the best selling vehicle year after year, but it's nothing good.
      02-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #40
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't know about the latest generation, but I drove the last F-150 for a week. That thing drove like shit and the build quality was absolute trash. For instance, every time I went over a speed bump, my radio would turn off (if on) or on (if off). Rattles, squeeks, body roll worse than a fat chick on a surfboard. Man, oh man, I swear, I do not know what it says about the American consumer that this is the best selling vehicle year after year, but it's nothing good.
You must not be a blue collar worker, or know much about trucks. It isn't about rattles and fit and finish. It's a TRUCK not a fucking X5. It's meant to get heavy shit, dirty shit, wet shit thrown in the back of it, in the cab, get scratched, get dents, run shit over, go through nasty shit, PLOW shit and wear out the front end.

Trucks are purpose built, and that purpose isn't rolling on 22's with summer tires chief.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 07:56 PM   #41
methodtim
Brigadier General
Liechtenstein
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxForgedxx View Post
You must not be a blue collar worker, or know much about trucks. It isn't about rattles and fit and finish. It's a TRUCK not a fucking X5. It's meant to get heavy shit, dirty shit, wet shit thrown in the back of it, in the cab, get scratched, get dents, run shit over, go through nasty shit, PLOW shit and wear out the front end.

Trucks are purpose built, and that purpose isn't rolling on 22's with summer tires chief.
I am not a blue collar worker, but I completely disagree with your comment regarding rattles and whatnot. Trucks are used for much more than just "blue collar work" or "plowing through shit." If you owned a Ford F-350 Super Duty or something like that, I completely agree that that is purpose built and, as long as it performs its purpose, nothing else should matter. However, if that was the case, then the F-150 would not be the best selling vehicle in America for (I can't remember how many) years running, now would it?

Trucks are marketed towards all sorts of uses other than just your blue collar work, purpose-built workforce. People use trucks as recreational vehicles, as daily drivers, and, yes, disgusting as it may be, bling mobiles. Since you've stated that quality (in the form of rattles, fit and finish) don't matter to the Joe the Plumbers of this world, I'm here to say that it matters to the rest of us - those that buy trucks because we need one almost as much as our blue collar brothers and sisters. At the end of the day, it's about being able to live with your car or truck. My point is, after a week of daily driving the previous generation of F-150, I couldn't live with it.

Oh, and you can take your attitude and shove it up your ass, chief.
      02-09-2009, 08:02 PM   #42
DakarE36
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Dakar yellow '95 e36 m3

Quote:
I am not a blue collar worker, but I completely disagree with your comment regarding rattles and whatnot. Trucks are used for much more than just "blue collar work" or "plowing through shit." If you owned a Ford F-350 Super Duty or something like that, I completely agree that that is purpose built and, as long as it performs its purpose, nothing else should matter. However, if that was the case, then the F-150 would not be the best selling vehicle in America for (I can't remember how many) years running, now would it?

Trucks are marketed towards all sorts of uses other than just your blue collar work, purpose-built workforce. People use trucks as recreational vehicles, as daily drivers, and, yes, disgusting as it may be, bling mobiles. Since you've stated that quality (in the form of rattles, fit and finish) don't matter to the Joe the Plumbers of this world, I'm here to say that it matters to the rest of us - those that buy trucks because we need one almost as much as our blue collar brothers and sisters. At the end of the day, it's about being able to live with your car or truck. My point is, after a week of daily driving the previous generation of F-150, I couldn't live with it.

I thouroughly enjoyed reading that response...

ME LIKEY, i agree more then i can possibly say +1000, i was thinking your words verbatim
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:05 PM   #43
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

You are proving yourself to be even more truck ignorant. Especially considering some people need there truck for work or to handle even house hold things, projects, gardening and so forth... they don't NEED a 1 ton, they don't need a 2 ton truck, they don't even need a HALF ton some times. F-150, 250, 350. There are engine options only available in the bigger models, pay-load, towing capacity and so forth. It doesn't make the F-150 any less of a work/ project truck or the 350 MORE of one, people just use them to entertain different kinds of utility needs.

I think the trade-off of rattles and plastic are severely out weighed by durability and what they get done. PS. It's not supposed to ride fluffy, it's a TRUCK. Not a luxury vehicle with a BED.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2009, 08:10 PM   #44
xxForgedxx
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DakarE36 View Post
I thouroughly enjoyed reading that response...

ME LIKEY, i agree more then i can possibly say +1000, i was thinking your words verbatim
And I bet you've never owned a truck.
Appreciate 0