E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > short circuit after lengthening cables

07-21-2012, 04:01 PM   #1
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

short circuit after lengthening cables

Hello members,

I just finished lengthening the wires that go from my Remote key + brain to the siren. While doing so, I had the tips of the wires stripped to connect it to the siren. In the process, the wires touched a piece of metal in the engine bay.

Once finished I noticed the car was dead. The car would not lock nor unlock, lights would not turn on, nothing. I then proceeded to start the car. The car had a rough start but it turned on while everything else was still off. At this point I knew I screwed up.

I am not much of a mechanic nor have a lot of knowledge when it comes to electronics. I went under the dash and unplugged the Remote Key module. Everything came back up and running except my cluster. I pulled the fuse for the cluster and found that the fuse was blown.

I replaced the Cluster fuse and everything was all fixed. I even plugged the Remote Key back in. The SES light came on after and said battery was disconnected. I drove the car and light went away at the end of the day.

Any input would be great. Is there anything I should worry about even though everything seems fine ?
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:26 PM   #2
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

scan with a bav tech scanner. if there's no codes i wouldn't worry about it.
      07-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #3
Javy
e92javy
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White E92 M

Thanks for the response kfrazie1. I am going to have someone locally take a look at it.
Instagram- (javy_e92) 09 335i coupe / M package / Alpine White / Dinan Stage 2 / Alpina B3 Flash / Alufelgen SF71 / ST coils / Lux H8 / AFE Stage 2 intake / 6700k mtech HID / Performance trunk spoiler / Gloss black roof / CF interior wrap / PE Muffler Mod / ETS Charge pipe / Tial BOV / Cyba Quad Diffuser / Cyba Quad Black Chrome tips / Gloss black grills / AW reflectors / LED turn signals / Remote Key +
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:40 PM   #4
kfrazie1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you shorted something, the fuse should protect it