E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > I can't remove my oil filter cover?? 08 328i

09-10-2013, 12:27 AM   #1
porshapower
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

I can't remove my oil filter cover?? 08 328i

Started to do my first oil change on the car since I have owned it and when I went to turn the oil filter cover (turning clockwise to remove) it would not budge. Put a little more pressure on the 3/8 ratchet and broke the round 86 mm tool. The little welds snapped at the top where they welded a little disk with the cutout for the 3/8 ratchet end to the round filter wrench.... I did try this on a cold car that sat over night. 69k miles.. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 02:18 AM   #2
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by porshapower View Post
Started to do my first oil change on the car since I have owned it and when I went to turn the oil filter cover (turning clockwise to remove) it would not budge. Put a little more pressure on the 3/8 ratchet and broke the round 86 mm tool. The little welds snapped at the top where they welded a little disk with the cutout for the 3/8 ratchet end to the round filter wrench.... I did try this on a cold car that sat over night. 69k miles.. Thanks
Well, I can see how you might be confused - as I notice there is an arrow on the cap pointing in the clockwide direction - leading one one to believe that is the direction to remove

But I can assure you, to remove the cap - you turn the cap COUNTERCLOCKWISE

That is your problem - you were actually tightening the cap, not loosening it

All though the version cap tool you bought would normally be fine (if you had been loosening instead of actually tightening) - I bought this version which is very sturdy:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-328...Tool/ES199351/

You can pick up the Schwaben version for less $$:

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E92-328...ool/ES2167951/

Actually, it's probably a good thing that your cap tool was the weak point and broke - instead of the cap itself
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit

Last edited by 1QuikWS6; 09-10-2013 at 10:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
monkey_wrench
Caught the Bimmer-Bug
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '06 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
lefty loosey righty tighty.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2013, 10:56 PM   #4
porshapower
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Man I fell like such an a$#! I read the DIY and understood it incorrectly. Here are the directions on the DIY.... Removing the oil cap and filter:
Removing the oil cap was simple. Just turn the square cap clockwise and you’re done.

Removing the oil filter was simple, too. I couldn’t turn the oil filter cap by hand, so I used a strap wrench. The exposed filter element is shown below:

I thought it was a bit strange but when I went to the car and saw the arrow I said well it must be..... Thanks for the help and I will try it again... Thanks for the links I will definately need to buy another now
Appreciate 0