E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Ask a Professional Detailer...

01-16-2008, 12:29 AM   #331
Steves1stBMW
Rep
Drives: 335 Cp, blk/blk, sport, premiu

Hello George from Detailed Image,
I have my Black Sapphire Metallic 335i Coupe for less than 4 weeks, and already I've found 8 light rock chips on the hood and bumper. All are about of 1/2 millimeter big, too small for touch up paint. I have tried using Zaino Z5 polish to fill in the cavities but with little success. Do you know of any product that would allow me to fill in those cavities? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #332
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep
Drives: Detailed by Detailed Image

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steves1stBMW View Post
Hello George from Detailed Image,
I have my Black Sapphire Metallic 335i Coupe for less than 4 weeks, and already I've found 8 light rock chips on the hood and bumper. All are about of 1/2 millimeter big, too small for touch up paint. I have tried using Zaino Z5 polish to fill in the cavities but with little success. Do you know of any product that would allow me to fill in those cavities? Thanks.
If the Z-5 didn't do anything for it, I'm not going to have a recommendation other than trying some sort of touch up kit, like Langka or Dr. Colorchip. Rock chips are something you have to live with to some extent or be ready for a lot of resprays / touch ups on your front bumper. Others will recommend looking into a clear bra to prevent these little rock chips.

Good luck, let us know what you end up going with.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 07:19 PM   #333
Skiddy_ys
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Hello Detailing Gurus!

I'm looking to start doing my own detailing for my 335 convertible and VW Passat daily runner that I'll use to perfect my technique. I could really use some advice on product selection and process.

I've already ordered my PC7424 and I'm pretty set on using Zaino products for the most part but the other stuff such as mits, MF towels, pads, etc. I dont know what to choose and need some help.

My twice yearly plan is to:
1) wash Z7, dry with MF waffle
2) clay
3) wash Z7, dry with MF waffle
4) Zaino ZPC fusion (as I have some light DSSM - Dealer Supplied Swirl Marks on the 'vert. I was think of using Mezerna IP for the VW as its 4 years old and never really been detailed well)
5) Zaino Z2/Z6 x2 - do I need to use Z5 also?
6) Zaino Z8

For washing, I plan using the 2 bucket method with 3 mits (top, bottom, wheels).

Questions:
For the ZPC what pads should I use? LC or Edge 2000 and which ones?
For the Z2/Z5/Z6 do I use the PC to apply and if so what pads and do I use? Do I need to use separate pads for each product?
What MF towels do you suggest for removing the products?
What would you recommend for wheel/tire cleaning?
Finally, what Bi-weekly routine do you suggest to maintain the cars in between the twice yearly detail?

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance

335 Convertible | Space Gray | Creme/Beige | Dark Burl | Step | Sport | Premium | Cold Weather | Comfort | PDC | 6FL (iPod)
ED Pickup: August 21, 2007, ED Drop-off: September 6, 2007, Redelivery: October 26, 2007
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #334
Steves1stBMW
Rep
Drives: 335 Cp, blk/blk, sport, premiu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detailed Image View Post
If the Z-5 didn't do anything for it, I'm not going to have a recommendation other than trying some sort of touch up kit, like Langka or Dr. Colorchip. Rock chips are something you have to live with to some extent or be ready for a lot of resprays / touch ups on your front bumper. Others will recommend looking into a clear bra to prevent these little rock chips.

Good luck, let us know what you end up going with.

George
Thanks, George.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 11:14 AM   #335
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skiddy_ys View Post
Hello Detailing Gurus!

I'm looking to start doing my own detailing for my 335 convertible and VW Passat daily runner that I'll use to perfect my technique. I could really use some advice on product selection and process.

I've already ordered my PC7424 and I'm pretty set on using Zaino products for the most part but the other stuff such as mits, MF towels, pads, etc. I dont know what to choose and need some help.

My twice yearly plan is to:
1) wash Z7, dry with MF waffle
2) clay
3) wash Z7, dry with MF waffle
4) Zaino ZPC fusion (as I have some light DSSM - Dealer Supplied Swirl Marks on the 'vert. I was think of using Mezerna IP for the VW as its 4 years old and never really been detailed well)
5) Zaino Z2/Z6 x2 - do I need to use Z5 also?
6) Zaino Z8

For washing, I plan using the 2 bucket method with 3 mits (top, bottom, wheels).

Questions:
For the ZPC what pads should I use? Look for a polishing pad. You always want to match the aggressiveness of the polish with the pad. ZPC is a mild polish, so stick with a pad that is for mild correction. For LC I'd recommend a white polishing pad. LC or Edge 2000 and which ones?
For the Z2/Z5/Z6 do I use the PC to apply and if so what pads and do I use? If you wanted to apply the sealants (Z2/Z5) with the PC, and you are opting for LC pads, I'd recommend the blue fine finishing pads. Z6 is a quick detailer and wouldn't be applied with a buffer.Do I need to use separate pads for each product? Yes, you do not want to mix products and pads for optimal results.
What MF towels do you suggest for removing the products? I prefer a medium nap towel that is designed for product removal. A lot of detailers like our All Purpose Microfiber Towels for product removal. For quick detailing, you typically want a thicker nap.
What would you recommend for wheel/tire cleaning? My suggestion for wheel and tire care would be to protect your wheels with Poorboy's Wheel Sealant. This way, during your normal washing phase, you do not have to use any harsh cleaners that can oxidize and fade your wheels finish. Cleaning is a breeze when you properly protect your wheels and maintain them regularly with automotive shampoo and water. For tires, Poorboy's Bold 'n Bright is a great option as a water based tire dressing that will get absorbed and nourish your tires, rather than a silicone based dressing that sits on the rubber and is likely to sling up onto your paint.
Finally, what Bi-weekly routine do you suggest to maintain the cars in between the twice yearly detail? You'll basically just want to wash your vehicle, quick detail it if you like, and reapply any tire or interior dressing as needed. If you are looking for additional pop and want to put in an extra 30 mins to an hour, consider topping Zaino with a nice carnauba wax.

Thanks in advance for your help and assistance
If you have any other questions or would like me to explain anything in more detail, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 12:35 PM   #336
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

For the tires, I have been REALLY happy with the PoorBoy cleaner with a kitchen scrubby, then the 303 protectant. The tires on my truck I have done this three times now, and they are so black even with about 20K total miles on them.
I've only managed to get two coats on the 325, but I spent so much time on New Years with removing/cleaning that I haven't gone back to them yet. They aren't as black as the truck yet.

But with the 303 it is a FLAT black. I never did like shiny tires, made me feel uncomfortable that they might be slick.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 04:41 PM   #337
Skiddy_ys
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Convertible

Quote:
If you have any other questions or would like me to explain anything in more detail, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Thank You George, most appreciated

335 Convertible | Space Gray | Creme/Beige | Dark Burl | Step | Sport | Premium | Cold Weather | Comfort | PDC | 6FL (iPod)
ED Pickup: August 21, 2007, ED Drop-off: September 6, 2007, Redelivery: October 26, 2007
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2008, 05:21 PM   #338
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2010 Sea-Doo RXT-X 260  [9.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
hey guys,
im just wondering with which MF towel do i use to apply Meguair's scratch X?
whats better reTHICKulous towel or Ultra plush towel?
Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 07:40 AM   #339
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Bimmer View Post
hey guys,
im just wondering with which MF towel do i use to apply Meguair's scratch X?
whats better reTHICKulous towel or Ultra plush towel?
Thanks
You wouldn't want to use either of those for applying or removing ScratchX actually. I'd recommend applying with a standard foam applicator pad and removing with an all purpose microfiber towel. The reason you want to apply it with an applicator pad is because you need to generate pressure and some heat if possible to break down the abrasive particles in ScratchX.

Product removal for polishes seems to work best with a medium nap, instead of a thick one like the two towels you mentioned. The reTHICKulous and Ultra Plush towels are ideal for quick detailing, final wipe downs and final dusting for your interior.

Hope this helps.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 08:41 AM   #340
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
Quote:
You wouldn't want to use either of those for applying or removing ScratchX actually. I'd recommend applying with a standard foam applicator pad and removing with an all purpose microfiber towel. The reason you want to apply it with an applicator pad is because you need to generate pressure and some heat if possible to break down the abrasive particles in ScratchX.

Product removal for polishes seems to work best with a medium nap, instead of a thick one like the two towels you mentioned. The reTHICKulous and Ultra Plush towels are ideal for quick detailing, final wipe downs and final dusting for your interior.

Hope this helps.

George
Thanks for the help George, and if i want to apply leather cleaner and conditioner do i use a pad or all purpose MF towel?

Thanks again

Fahad
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 10:28 AM   #341
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTL Bimmer View Post
Thanks for the help George, and if i want to apply leather cleaner and conditioner do i use a pad or all purpose MF towel?

Thanks again

Fahad
Depends on the product you're using. I typically apply leather care products with a terry cloth applicator and remove with a cloth towel or microfiber towel. The terry cloth seems to penetrate the cracks and crevices a little better for leather. If I apply Leatherique Rejuvenator Oil to the seats, I massage it in with my hands as Leatherique recommends.

Hope this helps.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2008, 02:05 PM   #342
GAM3OVR85
Major General
Kuwait
Rep

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2007 E92 328i  [10.00]
^^thanks alot George
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2008, 11:36 PM   #343
Queenskid24
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: With 1 Fly Girl shotgun.

Quote:

Hope this helps.

George
i agree, a while back i purchased a LC hand applicator and some pads (polishing to waxing pads) from DI(before i bought a PC), for scratch x you would want to use a polishing pad preferably the white or orange. I have seen results with both, considering the amount of damage that is. Be sure to really work scratch x in and break it down all the way or you wont see any results. good luck.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2008, 06:26 PM   #344
arabbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i coupe

im going to be detailing my car in about 2 months and i want to make sure i have the right list from right now. I have decided to go with zaino because it seems like most people prefer it over klasse and because it lasts longer. tell me what you think of my list:

Z2 pro
zfx
z8
zcs

As for polishing for swirls i dont know what im going to do because i cant really afford to buy a pc. Is it ok if i let a friends dad polish it for me with something thats not a zaino product?

Also, tell me anyways to save money if possible.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2008, 04:12 PM   #345
faze335i
Kimber in da Trunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Question First time detail

Hello George, it seems you have the answer for everything!!! PLZ help out first time detailing a car.

1. When washing car I would use any sheep skin mitts is fine and do I wash with circle motion or back and forth motion?
-Also when drying the car wiping with Waffle Weave Drying Towel which motion should it be use back and forth or circle? or that you recommend in doing?

2.When Clay bar the car does the Clay bar come with its own Clay lube or do I have mix wash soap and water to form a lube? if not which do you recommend to get?
-Also what do I have to wash after Clay bar the car or just wiped down is good enough?
-and what kinda of Towel should I use to wipe off Clay?

3.It's a new car prep so Do I still need to Polish the car??? and if I do which type of Polish do you recommend for new car prep?
-I'll be doing all this with hand so what kinda of pad or applicator would I be using or should be using?

4.Finally Sealant the car with Z5, ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive and Z2 in between with Z-6. Once again I'll be using all hand to Sealant the car so what kinda of Pad or Applicator should I be using, brand and type?
-So I need to have 1 pad or 1applicator for Z5 and ZFX, another for Z2 and ZFX all in different bottle?

5.Z8 for the end what Kinda of towel should I use to finish off the the Z8 with and in which motion should I wipe the Z8 in?

I was thinking of doing that whole process every 2x a year and maintain the car with regular wash also with wax every month?
Is it ok to Sealant the car more than 2x a year or would it damage the paint?
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 06:55 AM   #346
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by arabbmw View Post
im going to be detailing my car in about 2 months and i want to make sure i have the right list from right now. I have decided to go with zaino because it seems like most people prefer it over klasse and because it lasts longer. tell me what you think of my list:

Z2 pro
zfx
z8
zcs

As for polishing for swirls i dont know what im going to do because i cant really afford to buy a pc. Is it ok if i let a friends dad polish it for me with something thats not a zaino product?

Also, tell me anyways to save money if possible.
The list looks fine, although I think some of the products you selected overlap. I can wait 24 hours between coats, so I personally think the ZFX is a waste, but if you're trying to detail quickly with multiple coats of sealant then I guess it's worth while. Z-8 is a quick detailer with some protective characteristics to extend the life of your Z-2 and enhance depth and gloss. Z-CS is almost the same thing, but a more durable form and much more expensive. Whether you need both is up to you, I'd rather top the Z-2 with a wax for additional depth and gloss, but that is my opinion.

You can polish with any other product you want prior to Zaino. To ensure the products will not have a problem, wipe down your polish with some Isopropyl Alcohol and distilled water mixture. This will clean up any oils, fillers or lubricants from the polish that may be left behind, depending on which polish you end up going with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by faze335i View Post
Hello George, it seems you have the answer for everything!!! PLZ help out first time detailing a car.

1. When washing car I would use any sheep skin mitts is fine and do I wash with circle motion or back and forth motion? I usually work in a back and forth motion more than a circular motion. On vertical surfaces (like doors) I'll wash from left to right, and on horizontal surfaces (like your hood and roof) I'll work front to back.
-Also when drying the car wiping with Waffle Weave Drying Towel which motion should it be use back and forth or circle? or that you recommend in doing? Here's what I do. First off before drying, I make sure I utilize the sheeting method to remove a majority of the water before any towel even touches my vehicle. After that I'll blot dry any remaining water with the waffle weave drying towel. This should make your life significantly easier and you'll minimize adding imperfections to your paint.

2.When Clay bar the car does the Clay bar come with its own Clay lube or do I have mix wash soap and water to form a lube? It all depends on which clay bar you purchase. We price all of ours out separately, so you can either create your own clay lube mix or use a quick detailer. if not which do you recommend to get? I like using Poorboy's Spray & Wipe since it has a lot of cleaning characteristics and doesn't leave much streaks behind so I can go right to polishing, rather than giving it another wash. We have Spray & Wipe on sale until the end of January for 25% off it's regular price, now would be the best time to pick some up.
-Also what do I have to wash after Clay bar the car or just wiped down is good enough? If you use a mixture of soap and water, I recommend a rewash, if you use a quick detailer and wipe off excess product after each panel, then you can often go right to polishing.
-and what kinda of Towel should I use to wipe off Clay? I'm assuming you mean the clay lube, since you wouldn't wipe the actual clay bar with a towel. To remove the clay residue, either an all purpose microfiber towel or an ultra plush towel would work best for this process. If you are trying to minimize imperfections and do not plan on polishing afterwards, then you might want to invest in the plush towels, if you plan on polishing, then the all purpose towels are perfectly fine.

3.It's a new car prep so Do I still need to Polish the car??? It depends on the condition of the clear coat upon delivery. If there are minor swirls and imperfections and you want to remove them, then yes you'll probably need to polish with a finishing polish. If there are not any swirls or scratches, but still want to make sure you start with a fresh base, then I recommend going with a chemical polish to prep the surface. Polishing isn't necessary though if youa re content with the clear coat. and if I do which type of Polish do you recommend for new car prep? Some good options for a chemical non-abrasive polish are Klasse All In One or Poorboy's Polish with Sealant. For finishing polishes to remove swirls and imperfections, Menzerna PO106FF is your best option, or Menzerna Final Polish II is a great lower cost alternative.
-I'll be doing all this with hand so what kinda of pad or applicator would I be using or should be using? A standard yellow foam applicator is perfectly fine. The key is using one applicator per product and making sure that it is clean.

4.Finally Sealant the car with Z5, ZFX Flash Cure Accelerator Additive and Z2 in between with Z-6. Once again I'll be using all hand to Sealant the car so what kinda of Pad or Applicator should I be using, brand and type? Either the foam applicator again, or for sealants, a microfiber applicator is a good option as well. Key again being 1 product per applicator and making sure it is clean.
-So I need to have 1 pad or 1applicator for Z5 and ZFX, another for Z2 and ZFX all in different bottle? Yes.

5.Z8 for the end what Kinda of towel should I use to finish off the the Z8 with and in which motion should I wipe the Z8 in? For the Z-8 go with a plush towel, either our ultra plush microfiber towels or the new reTHICKulous towels.

I was thinking of doing that whole process every 2x a year and maintain the car with regular wash also with wax every month?
Is it ok to Sealant the car more than 2x a year or would it damage the paint? Feel free to seal as often as you wish. Chances are by the end of 6 months you're protection will be minimal if not completely gone. I always make sure that I'm protecting by overlapping applications according to the expected durability of the sealant. So say you expect 6 months out of the Zaino combo, I'd recommend reapplying it every 4 - 5 months, to make sure your vehicle is always fully protected. If you are topping the Zaino with a wax on a monthly basis, then you will always have that top layer of protection even if the Zaino fades prior than the full 6 months.
Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2008, 01:21 PM   #347
faze335i
Kimber in da Trunk
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thumbs up Detailed Image RULES!

Hope this helps, if you have any other questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

George[/QUOTE]

Thanks SO MUCHHHHH!!! GEROGE
I'll be practicing on a older car that I have so when I do get the new car arrive I'll be a pro by then hahaha

I'll will be getting majority of supply from you guys and also Thanks again for the help
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 12:17 PM   #348
remmib
General
Norway
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 520d M-Sport

I'm thinking of buying Poorboy's World Wheel sealant after hearing good things about it.

Any tips regarding applying it to the wheel and removing it.

Thanks

F10 520d M-Sport Alpine White | HRE P43SC 20x9+20x11 | Michelin PSS 255/35+295/30 | KW V3 Coilover | M5 Front Sway Bar + M550d Rear Sway Bar | 3DDesign Front Lip | BMW M Performance CF Spoiler | BMW M Performance Diffuser | BMW M Performance Black Grills | BMW M Performance Pedals |
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 12:46 PM   #349
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by remmib View Post
I'm thinking of buying Poorboy's World Wheel sealant after hearing good things about it.

Any tips regarding applying it to the wheel and removing it.

Thanks
Not really, it's a very straight forward product to use. I dab a small amount of product on a MF Applicator pad or a foam applicator pad and thinly apply 2 - 3 coats. This product removes very effortlessly, even if it sits for a while. I find that 2 - 3 thin coats will last up to 3 months of very easy wheel maintenance.

Ideally, you can remove your wheels to protect the inside barrel of the wheels.

You'll be impressed with the slickness that is left behind on your wheels and how easy brake dust and other road contamination just slides right off your wheels with auto shampoo and water during your next wash.

Hope this helps, let us know how things turn out for you.

George
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2008, 03:45 PM   #350
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

The slickness really impressed me, on wheels or chrome elsewhere. I hadn't touched the stock wheels since I applied over NY's weekend but the wife had the car done by traveling cleaners (who put sticky tire gloss on them ) and I just reached down to see how clean the rims were. She had driven it home about 10 miles and the dust just wiped off onto my finger. There was an amzing amount considering that they still looked very clean.

I'm going out to clean the tires and put 303 back on now. . .
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2008, 07:47 PM   #351
Last E92 M3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Hi! I got another question >_<
After I spray and wash wheels, what's the best way of drying the wheels?
It takes so much time to dry wheels and I can't completely get all the water out from bolts area.
Like, after I am done with washing the whole car and put it back in the garage to do further detailing such as waxing, the water drips from bolts area...how do you clean wheels?

Another quick question for specific wheels.
I have 05 G35 Coupe with sports package (19s...I am hoping that you know what it looks like) and what's the best way to wash and dry "concaved" wheels where spokes go in. (Red circles)
Thanks and I attached the picture.

[edit] Another question about wheels, when you use tire shiner, do you apply it on tires at very beginning of washing process and then wash wheels and body?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2008, 12:47 PM   #352
Detailed Image
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last E92 M3 View Post
Hi! I got another question >_<
After I spray and wash wheels, what's the best way of drying the wheels?
It takes so much time to dry wheels and I can't completely get all the water out from bolts area.
Like, after I am done with washing the whole car and put it back in the garage to do further detailing such as waxing, the water drips from bolts area...how do you clean wheels?

Another quick question for specific wheels.
I have 05 G35 Coupe with sports package (19s...I am hoping that you know what it looks like) and what's the best way to wash and dry "concaved" wheels where spokes go in. (Red circles)
Thanks and I attached the picture.

[edit] Another question about wheels, when you use tire shiner, do you apply it on tires at very beginning of washing process and then wash wheels and body?
Good questions. Regarding the water in the bolt areas, I use the Metro Vac 'n Blo, and switch to the blower right before drying and get the water out of the crevices and tight areas around wheels, side mirrors, etc. I'd suggest using some sort of compressed air or a blower to help with the water drip issue. After blowing out the wheels, I'll mist some QD solution, I use Poorboy's Spray & Wipe, on a microfiber towel and wipe the wheels down. I find that this helps remove any loose brake dust and other contamination still remaining, while thoroughly drying the wheels.

One final note, I find that a properly protected wheel with something such as Poorboy's World Wheel Sealant will help repel water and make drying with the blower more effective.

During the wash phase I'll prep the tires with the appropriate degreaser. This will properly prep the rubber to absorb the tire dressing and increase your longevity of your dressing. I apply the tire dressing as one of the very last things I do, then roll the vehicle forward or back a few feet and reapply a second coat to ensure even coverage.

Hope this helps.

George
Appreciate 0