E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Stalling Issues

09-22-2017, 10:46 PM   #23
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW,Tesla, etc.

Garage List
Issue is fixed now. Turned out to be a bad intake vanos solenoid. Now the car idles very smooth, starts up with little to no vibration, and can be driven hard without stalling
Appreciate 2
PhaseP1001.00
      09-23-2017, 08:48 AM   #24
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Thanks for posting the closure, many people ask questions with their problems on the forum then don't report the real solution or result.

Isn't it great the car tells you what is wrong with it and helps to fix?
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 08:53 AM   #25
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by frisbeeguy View Post
Issue is fixed now. Turned out to be a bad intake vanos solenoid. Now the car idles very smooth, starts up with little to no vibration, and can be driven hard without stalling
Just curious did you replace the solenoid with new one with new o-ring, or cleaned the old one?
Reason I am asking, there is possibility that previous owner may have checked and cleaned/replaced solenoid but didn't seat it properly, and it may be leaking vacuum from there as well. Maybe you fixed it by sealing properly there by replacement. A possibility to consider for anyone else dealing with similar issue.
Appreciate 1
simon64.50
      09-23-2017, 09:39 PM   #26
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Thanks for posting the closure, many people ask questions with their problems on the forum then don't report the real solution or result.

Isn't it great the car tells you what is wrong with it and helps to fix?
No Problem Yep it is great the car tells whats wrong with it, that's why i love driving and fixing German cars.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2017, 09:54 PM   #27
frisbeeguy
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhaseP View Post
Just curious did you replace the solenoid with new one with new o-ring, or cleaned the old one?
Reason I am asking, there is possibility that previous owner may have checked and cleaned/replaced solenoid but didn't seat it properly, and it may be leaking vacuum from there as well. Maybe you fixed it by sealing properly there by replacement. A possibility to consider for anyone else dealing with similar issue.
I replaced the solenoid with a new one from FCP Euro...it came with a new o-ring. There might have been a possibility that the previous owners (there were 2 owners...first leased and second owned it for ~6 years)...had the solenoids cleaned, but I can't tell...but it looks to me like they were never replaced (previous owners were just the typical average owner...zero car knowledge and dependent on mechanics...who pretty much never cleaned up past oil leaks, etc). I just replaced them since the front metal plate was rusted...also when I pulled it out, it looked dirty, and I wouldn't want to put a rusted part back in. The old gasket looked very dirty and felt quite stiff...like bad rubber...it was much easier to pull out the old solenoid than pushing the new one in (which is a good sign)....but for anyone in the future having issues like this, I would say use ISTA and INPA since both were really helpful.
Appreciate 0