E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Clock Spring

08-10-2017, 05:29 PM   #1
Kgray_e92
Private
Rep
Drives: AWD Space Grey E92

Clock Spring

So I was installing a new steering wheel in my car and broke my clock spring in the process. The buttons on my wheel do not work nor does my horn and I have a "restraint system malfunction" warning. These are all symptoms of the clock spring but I also have Dsc malfunction and other related malfunctions that I know are often symptoms of a steering angle sensor. Is the SAS part of the clock spring? I couldn't have broken that too. Any advice is appreciated
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:35 PM   #2
Kgray_e92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerGeeks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kgray_e92 View Post
So I was installing a new steering wheel in my car and broke my clock spring in the process. The buttons on my wheel do not work nor does my horn and I have a "restraint system malfunction" warning. These are all symptoms of the clock spring but I also have Dsc malfunction and other related malfunctions that I know are often symptoms of a steering angle sensor. Is the SAS part of the clock spring? I couldn't have broken that too. Any advice is appreciated
They're 2 separate pieces. But likely once your clock spring broke it took your SZL out of alignment.

Replace the clock spring(make sure the tab on the clock springs lines with the arrow on the SZL) then calibrate the SZL
How do I calibrate it? I have a clock spring on the way
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2017, 07:45 PM   #3
Kgray_e92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
They're 2 separate pieces. But likely once your clock spring broke it took your SZL out of alignment.

Replace the clock spring(make sure the tab on the clock springs lines with the arrow on the SZL) then calibrate the SZL
Tool32 or Inpa does it in a few clicks. Do you have a cable & windows laptop?
I'll have to get a cable
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 05:31 PM   #4
Kgray_e92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Tool32 or Inpa does it in a few clicks. Do you have a cable & windows laptop?
I'll have to get a cable
You can order it on BimmerGeeks.net. When the clock spring and cable come in & you get it installed, give us a shout and we'll calibrate it for you.

If you purchase our cable, no charge for the session.
The clock spring has now been replaced. The horn is working but the air bag restraint malfunction is still displayed and the " awd malfunction" and "start off assistance malfunction" are too. Is this the SZL needing recalibration?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 06:12 PM   #5
Kgray_e92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Most likely. Hard to tell without scanning the codes. But if you replaced the clock spring, it does need to be calibrated 100%
And calibration can be done with your cable? I see you sell 2 different cables. Does it matter which one?
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2017, 09:22 PM   #6
Kgray_e92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Most likely. Hard to tell without scanning the codes. But if you replaced the clock spring, it does need to be calibrated 100%
And calibration can be done with your cable? I see you sell 2 different cables. Does it matter which one?
Yes it can.

KDCAN is for E chassis
ENET is for F chassis
Okay thank you I will purchase it now. Is the sesión still free of charge with purchase?
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2017, 06:44 AM   #7
Kgray_e92
Private
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Yes it can.

KDCAN is for E chassis
ENET is for F chassis
Okay thank you I will purchase it now. Is the sesión still free of charge with purchase?
Yes it is.
Okay I purchased the cable last night. I'll be in touch when I receive it. Thank you
Appreciate 0