E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > How to import a BMW into Canada without getting rear ended

06-09-2010, 10:44 AM   #45
Kg810
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: .:R32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
CPO warranties are non transferable from the US to Canada, I had mine deleted by the New Jersey dealer I bought the car from. They had to pay BMW $300 to cancel it but ultimately I saved about $1200. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have it but no dice. Furthermore I was told that once the car was imported the CPO warranty was no longer valid in the US either.
Damn that sucks haha

So basically we only get the remaining duration of the exsisting warranty?
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2010, 12:10 PM   #46
stizzi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Aston Martin Vantage

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersonic1 View Post
LOL everything this guy has said has been total bull shit. I brought my car up 1.5 years ago, paid nothing to BMW to do so and it has had some major warranty work done on a couple of occasions.

I'm just telling you what the service tech at BMW here told me when I went in for my engine misfire issue (see other thread)... You can google the issue, it is a known policy that BMW won't honor a US warranty in canada unless you get recall done by a BMW dealer.

I suppose it is at the discretion of the BMW dealer to honour your warranty since some of you have it covered...

No need for the "bullshit" remarks when I'm telling you what I was told... What's up with the hostility on the forums?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2010, 03:24 PM   #47
Noxious_
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 E90

Great post. I'll think twice about my buying my next car in Canada. This, coupled with the fact that US dealerships can no longer ship parts into Canada really makes me question the ethics of BMW Canada.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2010, 07:48 AM   #48
sparkyg
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: work truck

Nice work

subscribed
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 11:30 AM   #49
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonintoronto View Post
great writeup
+1. Hopefully MODs make it a Sticky on Canadian Section.

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 08:01 AM   #50
listerone
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 540d

I remember reading an article 2-3 years ago about how cheap (and easy) it was for us to import new cars from Canada.It said that many thousands did it every year.Of course the US dollar has lost serious value against the Canadian dollar since then and,I'll wager,the US gov't (and perhaps the Canadian gov't as well) have instituted more draconian restrictions (emmissions,etc) so even if it made sense at one time it probably doesn't today.
Formerly: 2009 335d
Appreciate 0
      07-18-2010, 03:35 PM   #51
Vote Quimby
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX, G01 X3 M40i

Here's an easy question for those of you who have completed the RIV process:

Where did you put the sticker they sent you? It's kind of a big honkin' thing and I can't find anywhere on the door pillar or door jam that it will fit nicely without obscuring something else.

Thanks!

Last edited by Vote Quimby; 07-25-2010 at 10:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:04 AM   #52
fxie
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CS FDBII, 2018 AW 440GC

Any update on Part 2?

Just pulled the trigger on a 128i, so looking to import in a couple weeks
2014 AW F31 (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #53
gobrigavitch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '09 E90 M3 JZB

I posted this in the other "import from the US thread" as well. Sorry for the duplicate.

I'm considering doing this next spring/summer for a 1-2yo M3.

Being that I live in Prince Albert, SK any US car is going to be 1000 and likely 2000+K away. Has anybody else done this over a long distance? How do you do it without making multiiple trips to the US dealer. As I see it I'll have to be nearly 100% certain I'll want the car before I start the process. If I do it in person I'll need to fly down, purchase the car, send the bill of sale to the border and then arrive there no sooner than 72hrs later.

Now how about paying for the car? Would I need to negotiate the exact price before I got there and get a certified cheque or money order from a bank here? Or can I still negotiate the price once I get down there and then get a Certified Cheque made there? I dont know much about international banking so I'm not sure how this part works.

I need to get temporary plates from the US dealer and a service record with a statement that no recalls are necessary. I also get him to turn on DRL's. Now once this is all done I can drive the car to the border with bill of sale, this piece of paper (lots of copies) and make sure it's no sooner than 3 days before I sent the bill of sale to the border.

Now I'm a litlle uncertain on the RIV timeline. Is that all done after I arrive here, or do I need to send something to them while in the US or before I leave Canada?

Sorry if that's a lot of questions, but it seems most people just drive across to a dealership close by. I wish I could do that, but I highly doubt that will be the case.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 04:24 PM   #54
marcvtec
Banned
Rep
Drives: M5

Make this a sticky please,,,,
Its time for me to buy an M3 for winter
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 05:51 PM   #55
alanchan
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 323i

you are such a wonderful guy and we all thank you for your great help!
:cool! :
323i, Arctic metallic , Cream beige leatherette interior , Titanium matt trim , Premium , Auto , 18" style 189 sport wheels , 335i bumper + kidney grills, CF pillars, Chrome window trim package , LCI halogen.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 09:57 AM   #56
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikos335i View Post
Agreed!

The only difference is that the dealer gets their money from BMW USA and not BMW Canada!

This is like saying that if your car breaks down in the US while on vacation a US dealer wouldn't work on your car!?!?!

I understand my example is not quite the same but these Canadian dealers should wise up a little as they are making money on servicing these cars!!!
I'm not 100% sure on what the dealerships will do when it comes to honoring warranty because these dealers up here are crooks as far as I'm concerned. One sales guy went as far as telling me that they'd treat me like a stepson when I get my US imported vehicle in for service.

I WILL however import a US vehicle and worst case expect resistance at time of warranty work. I will get the work done at BMW Buffalo if I have to and then, I will write to the Toronto Star and other media outlets and complain to whoever I have to get the dealers to honor warranty because as per BMW Canada's website on March 7, 2011: the new car warranty is honored on cars as long as a) CMVSS 108 requirements are met and b) also BMW Canada's warranty validation is satisfied. Since no details are provided on this "validation", one can only assume that this is to check if the vehicle is within the new car warranty period.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2011, 10:05 AM   #57
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Modmike View Post
CPO warranties are non transferable from the US to Canada, I had mine deleted by the New Jersey dealer I bought the car from. They had to pay BMW $300 to cancel it but ultimately I saved about $1200. Don't get me wrong, I would have loved to have it but no dice. Furthermore I was told that once the car was imported the CPO warranty was no longer valid in the US either.
Hey Modmike.....

I can understand that CPO won't be honored by BMW Canada....but why would BMW USA not honor CPO once the car is exported outside of the US?

If CPO is indeed lost, then can one buy extended warranties in the US (like AAA Diamond Plan, see attached) that are honored in Canada?
Attached Images
File Type: pdf AAA DiamondPlan.pdf (294.1 KB, 317 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2011, 08:09 AM   #58
Rossland
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: US 06 330xi

Modmike is incorrect.

I had no problem getting my imported car serviced under warranty in Buffalo. I never tried bringing it to a Canadian dealer. But now that the warranty has expired (too many miles) I have had no problem buying parts from a Canadian dealer to be installed by my local garage.

No dealer can "delete the warranty". If the dealer refuses to honour the warranty, go to a different dealer. I never had a problem getting warranty work done, and I don't know anyone else who had a problem either.

We saved about $11,000 by importing our car. My next car will be imported too.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2011, 04:09 PM   #59
ChrisZ
Rep
Drives: 2000 328Ci

Warranty Vehicle Inquiry - example

Brilliant Post from ModMike.

I am trying to determine if a 2007 328i coupe is cheaper to import from the south (thinking Texas) or buy used in Montreal.

example of a BMW Warranty Vehicle Inquiry attached
Attached Images
File Type: pdf M5 History.pdf (34.6 KB, 865 views)
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2011, 09:27 PM   #60
AmericanInToronto
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisZ View Post
Brilliant Post from ModMike.

I am trying to determine if a 2007 328i coupe is cheaper to import from the south (thinking Texas) or buy used in Montreal.

example of a BMW Warranty Vehicle Inquiry attached
I picked up a 2008 328xi (nav+premium+cold packages, white/red) and with 20,000 miles, it was $29,000 USD. I asked a salesguy who was talking to me (GTA dealership) and he was very honest in telling me the same car would go for 36-39,000 in Toronto.

So I figure I saved anywhere between 7000-9,000 on this car.

If it were a black on black, the prices would be comparable....maybe couple of thousand lower in the US.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 06:40 AM   #61
mabman
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335xi

Any update on Part 2? I can't find it anywhere.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #62
rotry pwr
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I have imported several cars over the years and all have been pretty straight forward, no big problems, get all you paperwork in order and it easy at the border.
I just finished helping a friend bring an 06 330i sport, and it was very easy at the border, however it wasnt easy getting the recall clearance but got it through a broker.
I called most of the dealers in the GTA and they have a wide range of mods that they would like to do ranging from 2000 to 4500 dollars.
Well at the end none of this was needed, the car is out of warranty and will probably never get any service work from a BMW dealer.
Still saved several grand on the CAR, its clean and has never seen snow.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 11:20 AM   #63
canada_dude
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi sedan, 2021 Tesla Y

Thanks for the great work ! Can't wait to see part 2.

Thanks to those who added more success stories and for including helpful tips.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 10:05 AM   #64
Mirage17738
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi Wagon

Does anyone have an authorized dealer I can contact in Canada or the US who can provide me with a recall letter without raping my wallet? Just brought up an 07 wagon and having a hard time getting the proper documentation. The letter I did receive was from a dealership, but not an authorized one I figure. Called the local BMW dealer and they sent me this reply:

BMW and MINI vehicles are built to operate correctly and to meet safety requirements in their respective markets. In Canada some of these important requirements that differentiate USA to Canadian cars are related to Daytime Running Lights (DRL), different instrumentation, hardware and software components.
The high sophistication of components involves a large amount of interactions and interdependencies between the fitted control units of a vehicle. This highlights the importance of carrying out a proper USA-Canada conversion as recommended by BMW AG, which not only ensures compliance of the systems, but also ensures the correct operation and interaction of all control units.
While some features can be modified by means of software* which might appear to fulfill Canadian compliance and technical requirements for a correctly functioning vehicle, they do not. This type of modification is not suitable for correct functioning of the Daytime Running Lights and therefore cannot ensure compliance.
BMW Group does not support hard-wiring of Daytime Running Lights due to the complexity of the vehicle electronics.
*On certain USA vehicles, depending on model, production date and specification, it is possible to have the Daytime Running Lights turned on by means of:
The Personal Profile feature which allows the driver to switch the DRL function on and off from within the car using either the Controller
(i-Drive) or Instrument Cluster functions.
Turning on the DRL via the Controller or Instrument Cluster does NOT constitute compliance.

Installation of Canadian Instrument Cluster ($1420.99), Programming Vehicle & Adapting Daytime Running Lights & Adapting Canadian Vehicle Order Number =
$1914.99
Vehicle Compliance/Recall Letter from BMW Canada = $500.00

Total Conversion Cost = $2415.99
**Price may vary depending on VIN# **

WOW!
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2012, 01:48 AM   #65
Gjm127
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 435i xDrive M-Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanInToronto View Post
I picked up a 2008 328xi (nav+premium+cold packages, white/red) and with 20,000 miles, it was $29,000 USD. I asked a salesguy who was talking to me (GTA dealership) and he was very honest in telling me the same car would go for 36-39,000 in Toronto.

So I figure I saved anywhere between 7000-9,000 on this car.

If it were a black on black, the prices would be comparable....maybe couple of thousand lower in the US.
why do you say if it were black on black?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #66
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage17738 View Post
Installation of Canadian Instrument Cluster ($1420.99), Programming Vehicle & Adapting Daytime Running Lights & Adapting Canadian Vehicle Order Number =
$1914.99
Vehicle Compliance/Recall Letter from BMW Canada = $500.00

Total Conversion Cost = $2415.99
**Price may vary depending on VIN# **

WOW!
The BMW instrument cluster is bullshit and BMW Canada will tell you it is necessary to install when in fact it is not. The cluster on most BMW's comes with both MPH and KMH already on the cluster. A new instrument cluster is only required to pass federal safety if it has ONLY MPH. Don't listen to the bullshit when BMW tells you your required to spend the extra couple grand.

On a side note, I just bought a 2008 BMW 335i from a private seller in the US. Does anyone know of a person/dealership that would be willing to slide my way the documentation of the amazingly scammed recall letter? Maybe someone on this forum knows or works for BMW, I would be willing to give them some money. I would rather it go to a person on this forum then BMW.

Thanks guys.

Last edited by shaginwagon13; 07-29-2012 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0