E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > I hate this house selling and buying

09-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #1
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Need more space

I hate this house selling and buying

We're trying to move so house is on market
No offers so far
All feedback has been positive BUT always the lack of reception room put people off, large lounge diner in a newish build.

At £239k had about 10 viewings over last few months
With no offers decided to drop it £10k

Seen a house we like, but as we're not sold we can't move on with offers. Hate this selling and buying experience. I can see this house goIng quick as it fell through but went with sold STC within a few days it was on market last time
      09-09-2012, 01:58 AM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
It's very frustrating. Like buying a car but worse as your wife has more input/influence
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 03:19 AM   #3
BanziBarn
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 330D E90 LCI Msport

When I moved the agent said to me that simply, any house can sell - the only reason it won't is if either no one knows it's for sale, or, it's too expensive.

It's difficult because you know what you bought it for and what the market has done since so you know what it "should go for". But the house is only worth what people will pay, and so far 10 people don't think it's worth the money.

I guess there are two options, reduce the price more (which is always hard to swallow), or do stuff to the house to make it more desirable. Does the house need much work?

Have you checked any of those web sites that list the prices houses have gone for in your road?

Moving house it definitely one of the most stressful things you can do - good luck!

http://www.e90post.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=2148&pictureid=44259
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 04:22 AM   #4
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

I had the same thing when selling my last house...had to drop the asking the price by a fair bit in the end for it shift Still got managed to get a similar % drop when it came to buying the new house so all worked out, but for a period of about 3 months I had to pay for 2 mortgages whilst the paper work on the old house was been done . We'll need to move again in 4-5 years, not looking forwards to it, hence trying put as much money into paying the mortgage off as possible...

The £££ involved in buying/selling houses makes anything I've spent on cars look like loss change, good luck with your house sale, sometimes you get lucky, my mate just sold his old house for asking price to a cash buyer...lucky git

The other option is to rent out, but thats never as easy as people make out, my parents does it with a few of their houses, tenants are always phoning up about "issues" and have no respect for the house since its not theirs, add on to that the fact you have to pay extra tax on the rental income and all of a sudden selling the thing for a small loss doesn't seem all that bad
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 05:05 AM   #5
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

Thanks

Well houses built in 2000 so newish build and some identical built houses have sold
Neighbour £233k in 2010 but is a attached semi
Ours is end semi and nicer
Another similar one last year sold £230k but worst garden as sloped

Nothing needs doing, all ready to go.

Annoying as really like the house we've seen but need ours shifted

So price I think is good for market as new build near buy are similar priced to 3 bed vs our 4 bed etc.

Fingers crossed
      09-09-2012, 06:14 AM   #6
zltm089
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i SE Coupe Space Grey

Garage List
2006 BMW 335i  [10.00]
How many agents have you got on the house?....

Have you seen their adverts? Are the pics taken by a professional?

10 viewings is quite low...
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

Feel the OP's pain.

Had to go through sort of similar experience just last week when the house we were going for fell through just over such a small issue only because my other half involved her family and in next two days we found out that the house got sold same day.

On the other hand couple of people were ready with cash to move into my property on rent so pretty much p****d off.

Moral of the story (for me) : Never expect inlaw's to sort out anything especially in such matters.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2012, 10:35 AM   #8
xs2man
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F11 530d M-Sport

Yeah, hate this market. We have had our old house on the market for 2.5 years. Not really bothered as it is rented out at the minute, and the mortgage payments are very low, so its win win just now. But it would be nice to just get rid and not worry about it.

Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 02:57 AM   #9
briers
Ben
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Tesla p85d

It can all move so quickly, you can get an offer at the most unexpected time.

I know how you feel, we put our house up on the market and felt like we were going nowhere. We eventually sold and completed a few weeks ago after about 35 viewings and 3 offers, 2 didnt go through, 1 as we pulled out and 1 as they pulled out.

At times we thought we would never sell it, it drove us crazy, it's stressful but you will definitely sell it.

Our thoughts are unless its perfect for the buyer in this market they will always look for something better (to them) and rent if they have to. Loads of people coming to see ours were renting and lots wanted a south facing garden, or slightly bigger garden or bigger kitchen. It really had to tick all the boxes.

But you will eventually get someone who falls in love with it.

Don't underestimate the pictures on the brochure either. They always use the brochure to remind them when shortlisting. Even the small things like the sun shadow on the garden and the light in the rooms. I took my own in the end and we sold by letting the agent take them round, it perhaps makes them feel more comfortable.

All these little things could help but ultimately it's waiting for the right person.

The same thing happened with our purchase, as they market is so tough we wanted the right house and we only found it by asking if we could buy a house that wasn't even on the market, dropping a leaflet through the door.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:28 AM   #10
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

All good points above, but the current market really is a complete PITA...

We have 3 different properties that we are looking to sell but despite playing the pricing game, using different agents, and having numerous viewings etc etc we still haven't managed to move one of them

Came very close with one but that fell through when the barrister who made the offer discovered that he couldn't get anywhere near the same level of mortgage he had in the past.....

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 05:16 AM   #11
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Yep, we had to take £50K off the price to shift ours last year.

1 offer, take it or leave it, we needed to go.

We then got £40K off the new place, so that softened it a bit.

So glad we're not moving again until we go into a downsize retirement place in about 30 years!
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 07:58 AM   #12
alzieboy
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E350 CDi Coupe

Blame Kirsty & Phil, that pair of dicks**** put it into every prospective house buyers head that you automatically knock £15k + off the asking price
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2012, 04:22 PM   #13
p1tse
Lieutenant
Rep

Seen a house we really like
Hard to find the perfect house within the budget, so gutted we can't act on it

Only have it with one agent, but thinking of moving to someone else