E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 335i updated to new version MHD, is my car okay?

04-10-2019, 12:15 PM   #1
Sevelyth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12 BMW E92 335i Xdrive

335i updated to new version MHD, is my car okay?

So basically I updated my car which is a 2012 335i XDrive coupe to the new version of MHD stage 1 and it seems that things are going wrong.

The burbles are now much quieter compared to the BETA of the hard burbles. It seemed before I had it set to fire at >3000 rpm and at just 3000 I would get gunshot loud burbles but now they seem weak until I get to about 5k.

I also am running XHP stage 3 and now the trans seems so jerky going from 2nd to 3rd then 4th to 5th. In normal D in a parking lot it seems like it slips then slams into 3rd. I know this is an aggressive software but it didn't seem to do this before I updated. Should I reset driver adaptations and if so how would I go about doing this?

The second thing is on a rev I hear the intake sound but when I let off it sounds like a fluttering sound coming from either my DV or BMS intake I cannot tell. It happens all the way down the Rev range and it almost reminds me of a recirculating wastegate. It has never done this until recently.

Finally, I took some logs (i will post them here soon) but my rail pressure is all over the place from 3k to 4k along with about 3 degrees of time being pulled throughout the rev range.

Does anybody have any idea on these things? I change the oil every 7k and have replaced just about every problematic N55 part. I just don't understand why its so jerky and feels slower now.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 01:28 PM   #2
philgli
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 AW E92 Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevelyth View Post
So basically I updated my car which is a 2012 335i XDrive coupe to the new version of MHD stage 1 and it seems that things are going wrong.

The burbles are now much quieter compared to the BETA of the hard burbles. It seemed before I had it set to fire at >3000 rpm and at just 3000 I would get gunshot loud burbles but now they seem weak until I get to about 5k.

I also am running XHP stage 3 and now the trans seems so jerky going from 2nd to 3rd then 4th to 5th. In normal D in a parking lot it seems like it slips then slams into 3rd. I know this is an aggressive software but it didn't seem to do this before I updated. Should I reset driver adaptations and if so how would I go about doing this?

The second thing is on a rev I hear the intake sound but when I let off it sounds like a fluttering sound coming from either my DV or BMS intake I cannot tell. It happens all the way down the Rev range and it almost reminds me of a recirculating wastegate. It has never done this until recently.

Finally, I took some logs (i will post them here soon) but my rail pressure is all over the place from 3k to 4k along with about 3 degrees of time being pulled throughout the rev range.

Does anybody have any idea on these things? I change the oil every 7k and have replaced just about every problematic N55 part. I just don't understand why its so jerky and feels slower now.
i would definitely post logs, that will help. Also, i think a few people will say to reset adaptations. Was any other work done around the same time that could be attributing to the noises?
      04-10-2019, 05:22 PM   #3
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

I'll tell you what. Latest MHD update was quite weird but I don't think it has anything to do with the flutter. In adaptations, I would reset load and lambda for MHD.

For the fluttering noise, I think you may have the same problem as me which is a compressor surge. The sound is produced by the DV but it comes out of the intake. I'll link my video showing how mine sounds. Basically your stock DV is broken. I am remplacing my DV with a DV+ from GFB.

But if you are not running stock DV or logs show weird things with boost then it might not necessarily be a compressor surge.

04-11-2019, 12:48 PM   #4
Sevelyth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
I'll tell you what. Latest MHD update was quite weird but I don't think it has anything to do with the flutter. In adaptations, I would reset load and lambda for MHD.

For the fluttering noise, I think you may have the same problem as me which is a compressor surge. The sound is produced by the DV but it comes out of the intake. I'll link my video showing how mine sounds. Basically your stock DV is broken. I am remplacing my DV with a DV+ from GFB.

But if you are not running stock DV or logs show weird things with boost then it might not necessarily be a compressor surge.

That sounds Exactly what its like for my car! I think thats the issue bro cause logs show that its holding boost and everything just fine except for a little spike sometimes at the end. Does it effect anything or is it not urgent that I fix this?
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #5
TheGoodTheBadTheUgly
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 335i xDrive

Quote:
That sounds Exactly what its like for my car! I think thats the issue bro cause logs show that its holding boost and everything just fine except for a little spike sometimes at the end. Does it effect anything or is it not urgent that I fix this?
Honestly I don't want to freak you out, but by reading a lot I have found out that it is a pretty bad issue. It's really not good for your compressor and can put massive wear on the turbos if not fixed and driven hard a lot.

Basically, since the DV is not operating well, it doesn't get to purge all the exces boost on time. That means that a lot of this exces boost is recycled and stays stucked in the compressor thus affecting in a irregular way the spining of the impeller on the next boost building cycle. This puts a lot of wear on the bearings and other rotatings parts. Since it's a turbocharger, the shaft of the compressor is the same as the turbine meaning that it will also affects rotating parts on the turbine side.

So yes unfortunatly it is pretty important and can be pretty bad, but you shouldn't lose sleep of this!

This being said, it is something that you absolutly need to change if you want to drive the car back at full potential but don't stress yourself too much about it. It has been about 1 month that I received my part but I couldn't install it yet because of the shit weather. Meanwhile, I continue driving my car but I try to build the less boost possible by being slower than usual and on higher gear at low speed.
Turbod395.50
      04-12-2019, 12:17 AM   #6
Turbod
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 E84 X1 35i M Sport

I agree with everything that has been said. Feel free to post logs but try to stay out of boost until you replace the DV.
2020 F97 X3M | 11.0@123
2023 G80 M3 xDrive
Appreciate 1
      04-15-2019, 08:50 PM   #7
JUMAS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

how extensive is the dv replacement??
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 01:42 AM   #8
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Before you start throwing parts at it maybe you should revert back to the previous map or flash map 0. Sounds like it's an issue with the tune since it happened right after flashing the new map.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #9
Sevelyth
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferocity02 View Post
Before you start throwing parts at it maybe you should revert back to the previous map or flash map 0. Sounds like it's an issue with the tune since it happened right after flashing the new map.
I think you are right cause I flashed stage 0 and it did not do it. If it is a possible tune error then what would be the plan of action to tune my car again? Wait for a new version?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2019, 11:45 AM   #10
SnapCoupe
BMW Portland
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M Coupe/E90 335i

Quote:
I think you are right cause I flashed stage 0 and it did not do it. If it is a possible tune error then what would be the plan of action to tune my car again? Wait for a new version?
Keep in mind, this could also be due to the fact that the Stage 0 tune does not build the same boost pressure, and nor does it build it as fast as the upgraded tunes. The problem could still be your DV, but it just isn't making as much noise because there isn't as much air pressure going through it.

This same concept can be heard with an aftermarket intake on these cars. On the stock tune, you can barely heard the difference an aftermarket makes on the N55. Flash a higher boost tune and it is far more noticeable.
MHD Stage 2+, VRSF Downpipe, VRSF 7" FMIC, BMS Intake, BMS Chargepipe, Performance Exhaust Mod, F10 550i Clutch, BMS CDV, BMW Performance SSK, M3 Control Arms, ST Coilovers, Apex ARC-8 wheels, Michelin PS4S
Appreciate 0