E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > How many KM/Miles Does a BMW 3 series Engine last for?

01-21-2017, 08:39 AM   #45
STR8-6IX
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: RWD 528i N52

the turbo 335i perhaps would last 200k, but alot of it has to do with how the car was driven during the 3000 mile break in stage (a well sealed motor burning no oil will last alot longer in the long run) but there are people on this forum with over 350k on the turbo motors.

as for your 328i, expect it to last a long time if properly maintained. we have someone on here with 400k on your N52 motor and it still runs although its leaking oil everywhere.

the carbon build up wasnt even too bad.

try to stick with 8000KM oil changes and your motor will last. the naturally aspirated 328i is a very solidly built motor. mine runs like new with 115,000KM on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 09:36 AM   #46
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
The number of miles doesn't mean much... I wish we had an "hour meter" on all the cars.

A car with 100,000 miles that was driven around the city only at an average speed of say 15mph will have worked for over 6,600 hours while a car that was driven the same amount of miles mostly highway at an average speed of say 45 mph will have worked for only 2,200 hours...

I work for a company that makes electric baggage tractors for airports and they all have hour meters...
I know this is an old post, but I'd like to comment on it. Hours worked on an engine in a car is different than an industrial engine that stays stationary but does work. Miles are used as a maintenance metric simply because miles are easily counted and are a measure of work. Hours do not give a good measure of work, but are used in industrial applications as there is no other metric to capture the amount of work done. In industrial applications for engines it is assumed that a consistent level of work is performed per hour and therefor hours are used for maintenance intervals.

With the advent of condition-based service intervals (as used on BMWs since the '80s) the maintenance requirements are better tailored to the amount of work performed.
A manual transmission can be set to "comfort", "sport", and "track" modes simply by the technique and speed at which you shift it; it doesn't need "modes", modes are for manumatics that try to behave like a real 3-pedal manual transmission. If you can money-shift it, it's a manual transmission. "Yeah, but NO ONE puts an automatic trans shift knob on a manual transmission."
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:28 PM   #47
Wilt
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
The number of miles doesn't mean much... I wish we had an "hour meter" on all the cars.

A car with 100,000 miles that was driven around the city only at an average speed of say 15mph will have worked for over 6,600 hours while a car that was driven the same amount of miles mostly highway at an average speed of say 45 mph will have worked for only 2,200 hours...

I work for a company that makes electric baggage tractors for airports and they all have hour meters...
especially when you consider that the modern BMW doing 100k miles is very different than the car of 50 years ago doing 100k miles...simply because the cars did not have a high gear ratio of 0.8:1 50 years ago!

OTOH, we sit in bump-to-bumper traffic and at stop lights much more today than when there were half as many cars on the same roads.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 11:59 AM   #48
Dream car BMW
Rep
Drives: bmw 2007 328xi

Should or Should't buy 2007 328xi coupe

Hi Guys,

I am very new to this form so please bear with me and this will be my first BMW car so I have tons of questions if someone can please help!

Long story short, previous owner was a mechanic so he changed all this by himself, current owner just changed few things and want to sell (didn’t had car for long after asking him) and upon asking no receipts he claims.. he calmly answers all the questions I am asking and learned the following….Also, this would be my 2nd car and possibly not a daily commute as I have SUV (but if I really like the car I will make it daily commute lol 40kms to/from work)

-Private sale at 200,000 kms on it 2007 328xi coupe, things changed are below,
-Valve cover gasket done last year
-Spark plugs last year
-AC blows cold (not sure if this is good or bad)
-no engine lights and car starts with no hesitation (I haven’t gone to check car but this is by owner)
-battery changed
-water pump changed
-Serpentine belt changed
-No modification to car
-break and rotors changed last year
-Transfer case fluid (NOT CHANGED/HE NOT SURE)
-OFHG (NOT CHANGED)
-Actuator motor (NOT CHANGED/NOT SURE)
-comes with 2 set of rims + tires (summer changed last year) + 3 keys

I am planning to go for test drive this week and this is a really white with orange interior (what I exactly wanted) asking price is $6k CAD but hopefully negotiation will play a role…he is open to providing VIN before I even go to check the car (good sign?)

I am really liking this car (from pics) but worried if what he is saying is true……Any thoughts on the reliability of this kms and above things changed would be? Shall I go for it ? Shall I take to BMW to check it out?

Any help would be appreciated!!!
Appreciate 0