E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Is there a fuse that has power when ignition and accesories but not off

07-15-2019, 07:00 PM   #1
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 11' 335is DCT

Is there a fuse that has power when ignition and accesories but not off

That's my fuse diagarm. Icons. No idea how I'm supposed to know what they are exactly it's only categorised... so I'm asking here.

I'm wondering if there is a fuse that has no power when off but has power on accessories and ignition. I already tried 08 (I think it's for cig lighter/12v) with a test light and only has power on ignition.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:47 PM   #2
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Fuse 63 appears the way I want
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:27 PM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMidnightNarwhal View Post
That's my fuse diagarm. Icons...
I'm wondering if there is a fuse that has no power when off but has power on accessories and ignition. I already tried 08 (I think it's for cig lighter/12v) with a test light and only has power on ignition.
What you are looking for is KL30G or Terminal 30G, relay-switched power, and the Tri-fold fuse chart is NOT going to give you that information.

TIS can. For your 2011 335is the TIS schematic is NOT as clear as for earlier models, but if you look at the Terminal 30G (KL30g) fuse distribution at the bottom of the schematic, you will see 20 different fuses that have their source power (B+) SWITCHED by "IO1068" which is the "Terminal 30G Relay."
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...box/1VnXpW4emV

The fuse you identified, F63, is NOT ignition-switched (Terminal 15 or KL15), NOR is it Terminal 30G-switched. It is directly powered by the battery with NO intervening relay per this F63 circuit:
https://www.newtis.info/tisv2/a/en/e...3-fuse/jQYinmG

You don't say WHAT you want to add to be powered, or what its current draw or use may be. It is generally safe to add accessories to the lighter circuit which is ignition-switched (Terminal 15 or KL15), but make sure you read Bentley or get reliable advice from someone knowledgeable in BMW Electrical Systems BEFORE adding an "Electrical Consumer" to any other circuit.

George
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2019, 03:33 PM   #4
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post
What you are looking for is KL30G or Terminal 30G, relay-switched power, and the Tri-fold fuse chart is NOT going to give you that information.

TIS can. For your 2011 335is the TIS schematic is NOT as clear as for earlier models, but if you look at the Terminal 30G (KL30g) fuse distribution at the bottom of the schematic, you will see 20 different fuses that have their source power (B+) SWITCHED by "IO1068" which is the "Terminal 30G Relay."

The fuse you identified, F63, is NOT ignition-switched (Terminal 15 or KL15), NOR is it Terminal 30G-switched. It is directly powered by the battery with NO intervening relay per this F63 circuit:

You don't say WHAT you want to add to be powered, or what its current draw or use may be. It is generally safe to add accessories to the lighter circuit which is ignition-switched (Terminal 15 or KL15), but make sure you read Bentley or get reliable advice from someone knowledgeable in BMW Electrical Systems BEFORE adding an "Electrical Consumer" to any other circuit.

George
Yeah fuse diagram... I get lost to easy on that. Hard time understanding them.

So are you saying that fuse F63 should be sending power even when the car is off? I'll double check with my test light but pretty sure it wasn't.

It's just for a dash cam so only 1.5A draw I'd say. F63 fuse from my understanding has to do with the garage mirror control's antenna?
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2019, 04:55 PM   #5
TheMidnightNarwhal
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbalthrop View Post

George
To add to this, I found out fuse F02 is always on and empty in my fuse box. Now my question is if I tap a fusetap on it can it F up something? Looking at digram seems to be a circuit from the DME and to engine parts like waterpump etc.

BUT if it's currently empty does that mean it is not in use in my car? So I could tap a fuse tap and only put one fuse in my fuse tap for my dash cam circuit? I would like to swap my fuse tap to that one when I go at a dealer to record what they do.
Appreciate 0