E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > The $350 dollar coilover thread

02-13-2013, 04:22 PM   #1
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Three Hundred and Thirty Five

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
The $350 dollar coilover thread

*edit2*

still need spacers...

*EDIT UPDATE COILS INSTALLED*

HOLY S*@# just installed these coils. Not going to write alot about them just yet.

Install was such a bitch. IMO paying someone to do it may be worth it, but nether-less got'er DONE!

Rears were set pretty high and gave me (IMO) a perfect drop in the rear. i set the front coils to around mid-high range (25 threads from the bottom) and that somehow gave me stock height. Didnt have time to adjust, so this week i will adjust. so my car is hella uneven but idgaf im happy they are on. My alignment is out of wack slightlyyy, but of course doing that soon. I do have a problem with this kit but ill explain later.

Initial 20 minute drive impression with 2 other people... Its pretty good! Honestly feels very stock like. Bouncy? no, not really, Maybe almost 5-10% increase in bounciness and 20% firmer ride. Ride is very forgiving and small bumps/sewer holes feel like stock sport suspension. I was surprised how well they rode.

here are some pics, no measurements were taken. I forgot because i was to excited to install these.

i know its not even, looks weird, and extremely sunk in. I will adjust fronts accordingly this week and order spacers after i take measurements.

How she sits now adjusted

First night installed un-adjusted...

stock height.

In the pursuit of lowering my car, ive considered all options. Ive thought about springs + shocks VS coilovers and it was a no brainer....COILOVERS.

ok so coilovers that are some what reputable start at around 900-1200 bucks. A little to much for my taste. My current set-up is a NON-sport suspension on a 335 RWD 70k. I dont exactly need the best coilovers money can buy. for 350 bucks the only option to lower your car is springs. Many member do it and have no problems, thats awesome but i like the idea of be able to adjust the height to my liking. Most struts arent adjustable so its not like im exactly missing anything from a spring/strut option. So that is why i chose coils over spring and strut. I've had H&R race springs, but never installed. I have many friends with springs on stock struts, i rather buy a cheap set of coils vs putting race springs on stock non sport struts with high miles.

I do however put my self in the position of having a coil fail/leak, noisey coils, rough ride, and idk the durability of the coils it self. I do believe that they will perform better then stock in terms of handling. ride comfort may be thrown out the water (what im expecting) They are 350 bucks, so its not like breaking the bank if they suck.If its a bad decision accept it and move on.

they do come with a two year warranty and are TUV certified... that has to mean something.

Total weight was around 50 pounds. In terms of quality(visually) id give them a 7/10. they look great, but some welds parts of it just looks poorly welded(ill post pics later).

I purchased the set from http://veedubmachine.co.uk/ or you can buy from their ebay store (ebay.co.uk) their site is a little cheaper . 380 vs 350. coils are 162 GBP with around 60 GBP to ship. ordered them monday and received today. 3 days from UK to NY.

i will be posting pics and such as i go along. There is alot of snow and salt around NY so expect pics with them on the car in about a month. IDK how my expectations will be, but if they suck i can always return and return to stock.

Last edited by idrift4wd; 03-27-2013 at 03:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 04:42 PM   #2
SirHoward
Captain
Rep
Drives: Da Car I Wanted

O! for real? Keep us posted for sure. They look good to me. It maybe the best $350 you ever spent..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:04 PM   #3
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
They look like shit judging by the pics.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #4
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Wide Load

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreekboyD
They look like shit judging by the pics.
wouldn't trust my car sitting in those dude. I'm sorry I'm all for a good deal but when they say its to good to be true it probably us be careful and be safe. You have those 7/10 visual : they look like garbage. Have you seen quality suspension at all?
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2013, 06:00 PM   #5
Boxtyp3
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2015 F32 MG

Garage List
2015 F32 435  [0.00]
2002 E46 cp  [0.00]
2010 E82 135i  [0.00]
2013 E92 335i  [0.00]
Subscribed.
Appreciate 1
      02-13-2013, 06:07 PM   #6
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep
Drives: E36 M3, E36 Vert , E90 N52

This had been done before... There is a thread on here somewhere. So your 20k+ car you would put 350 dollar coilovers on? Its okay you probably put 87 octane too.

This is not an e36. Shit even an e36 coilover setup is more expensive.

Lets just say you get what you pay for.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:14 PM   #7
GreekboyD
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [8.00]
Eagerly awaiting the "$50 Coilover Thread"
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Lol when i judge 7/10 i compare it for the price range. For 350 bucks they look decent. Its 1/3 the price of most coilovers. If you cant trust coilovers then there is no way you can trust lowering springs on stock struts. Which many people do.

Not everyone needs coilovers, but everyone wants coils. People who want coils know that its a pretty big investment for some. Not everyone can spend top dollar for a modification.

May sound ignorant but honestly whats the worst that can happen. If i act maturely and dont slam it i can only imagine a rough ride. And when the occasion of a blown strut does happen i can have it replaced. I can always revert to stock suspension.

Let the people flame on. If it sucks ill tell you guys. If i die ill have a friend post my experience.

12.0 @ 117
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:20 PM   #9
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd
Lol when i judge 7/10 i compare it for the price range. For 350 bucks they look decent. Its 1/3 the price of most coilovers. If you cant trust coilovers then there is no way you can trust lowering springs on stock struts. Which many people do.

Not everyone needs coilovers, but everyone wants coils. People who want coils know that its a pretty big investment for some. Not everyone can spend top dollar for a modification.

May sound ignorant but honestly whats the worst that can happen. If i act maturely and dont slam it i can only imagine a rough ride. And when the occasion of a blown strut does happen i can have it replaced. I can always revert to stock suspension.

Let the people flame on. If it sucks ill tell you guys. If i die ill have a friend post my experience.
Lol dude you have no idea about suspension just by this post I can clearly see it. So you think getting springs is just is bad if not worse then putting a full $350 coilover set on. Lol. $90 per side.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #10
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Of all modifications, suspension probably follows the adage of "You get what you pay for the most".

If you ask most people where you don't go cheap on, number one answer will typically be suspension.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:50 PM   #11
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i View Post
Lol dude you have no idea about suspension just by this post I can clearly see it. So you think getting springs is just is bad if not worse then putting a full $350 coilover set on. Lol. $90 per side.
please entertain me.

wait so coilovers have to be 1000 dollars to be good? so the price justifies the product? have you personally had these on your car? is my car going to be to dangerous to drive? so many questions. Please, your opinion on here is that everyone should run BC coils because obviously they are the best and nothing else in the market is worth it and you need 10-11"+ rims to be considered "nice". Last time i checked it was my car im putting these on, not yours. when i have the fund to spend 2-3k+ on a set of rims one day i will. coming from a person with a godspeed aka ebay intercooler, you should know what bang for the buck is.

im not telling people to buy these, or saying not to buy them, just giving my overall experience with them.

"I did not come here to show out, did not come here to impress you"

Last edited by idrift4wd; 02-13-2013 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:52 PM   #12
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrift4wd View Post

Your dumb. Sorry you have no clue what your talking about.

All I read was 350 dollar coilovers and you dying.

Instagram that joint!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #13
CWay27
Private
Rep
Drives: 335 Xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i
Quote:

And you do?? I've been running the JOM coil overs for well over a year on my A4 and the ride is much better then when I had springs on stock shocks on my 335. I'm a very good customer of bilstein and Koni shocks and been using them on my track toys. Never I would take the JOM out on the track (too much rebound) but for street use, they are ok. I would definitely opt for JOM rather then lowering springs on stock shocks. Enjoy!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:00 PM   #14
Deemo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 E90 335i

LMFAO
      02-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #15
idrift4wd
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW  [7.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWay27 View Post
And you do?? I've been running the JOM coil overs for well over a year on my A4 and the ride is much better then when I had springs on stock shocks on my 335. I'm a very good customer of bilstein and Koni shocks and been using them on my track toys. Never I would take the JOM out on the track (too much rebound) but for street use, they are ok. I would definitely opt for JOM rather then lowering springs on stock shocks. Enjoy!!
Thanks!!!

can you tell me more about your experience with your coils?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:03 PM   #16
///M3NACE
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWay27 View Post
First of all your a Noob. Yes i do. I just assume people who are fortunate to have a nice vehicle would put decent to high quality parts on their cars. Putting springs on stock shocks have nothing to do with safety. They just wear the shocks out more.

You can't compare an Audi to a BMW.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:08 PM   #17
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
please entertain me.

wait so coilovers have to be 1000 dollars to be good? so the price justifies the product? have you personally had these on your car? is my car going to be to dangerous to drive? so many questions. Please, your opinion on here is that everyone should run BC coils because obviously they are the best and nothing else in the market is worth it and you need 10-11"+ rims to be considered "nice". Last time i checked it was my car im putting these on, not yours. when i have the fund to spend 2-3k+ on a set of rims one day i will. coming from a person with a godspeed aka ebay intercooler, you should know what bang for the buck is.

im not telling people to buy these, or saying not to buy them, just giving my overall experience with them.

"I did not come here to show out, did not come here to impress you"
Yes I like wide wheels and like getting on people to go wider its fun so what. And I never said BC are the best bud so don't get me wrong but they are a SAFE well proven coilover and are a great bang for buck actually compared to the more expensive ones on the market for our car. Now a $350 no is just to risky to ride on without a bunch of good reviews from a range of cars. As for the Godspeed intercooler that is a great intercooler actually and many used in a variety of different cars with results as I and totally different then suspension components
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:13 PM   #18
project335i
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWay27
Quote:
Originally Posted by project335i
Quote:

I'm sorry dude I have had so many different suspension on a number of cars and know plenty about suspension. $350 that is just not worth the risk. I have heard horrible things about them actually but hermy if your happy then all the best bit dont tell me I don't know suspension lol that's funny
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:57 PM   #19
CWay27
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihsanshaik View Post
First of all your a Noob. Yes i do. I just assume people who are fortunate to have a nice vehicle would put decent to high quality parts on their cars. Putting springs on stock shocks have nothing to do with safety. They just wear the shocks out more.

You can't compare an Audi to a BMW.
What does me being a newbie has anything to do with the subject?? Yes audi and BMW are different cars, I noticed the emblem on the grill but again, what does it matter when we're talking about a Coilover manufacturer?? What, it's good enough for audi but crap for BMW?? Being fortunate has nothing to do with how you spend your money. Because I own a 911, I should go for the 11k Titan exhaust for Akrapovic..... Non sence!!
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #20
CWay27
Private
Rep

Quote:
I'm sorry dude I have had so many different suspension on a number of cars and know plenty about suspension. $350 that is just not worth the risk. I have heard horrible things about them actually but hermy if your happy then all the best bit dont tell me I don't know suspension lol that's funny
I didn't assumed you didn't know anything about suspensions, I simply asked but you implied the other poster didn't.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:02 PM   #21
CWay27
Private
Rep

Guys it's very simple, don't flame me for pointing out my experience with this suspension. If you don't like it, fine but stop talking smack about something you haven't tried and just move on. You gave your opinion and that's awesome but move on.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #22
deluxe 247
Shake and Bake
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4

in for review
Appreciate 0