E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Cobb Stage 1+FMIC on ACN 91-octane?

12-30-2012, 11:44 AM   #1
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Cobb Stage 1+FMIC on ACN 91-octane?

Just wondering what experiences have been running the Cobb stage 1+ FMIC maps on the 91 octane fuel we have out here in CA. Is knock-retard a problem?

I've been running the Sport+FMIC map and a bottle of NOS "Race" octane booster every tank for peace-of-mind. E85 isn't available near me, and I have no desire to mix it on this car since it's my daily ride. I'd prefer to not run the booster any more, but I fear I'll need to switch to the Drive map for that.

Before anyone gives me shit, yes, I know I should do some logging. I'm waiting until I'm totally done self-tuning my supercharged LS3 Corvette before I get into all that with this car. I'll probably get the accessTuner Race software and start playing with that eventually. For now I'm trying to keep it as simple as possible. I know Terry @ BMS swears by the NOS booster, so I think I'm playing it fairly safe running the sport mapping right now.

Opinions? What type of power should I expect to lose by switching to the +FMIC Drive mapping? Hardware wise, the car is stock besides a drop-in K&N and an AMS intercooler.
      12-30-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

You already said it, we need logs. All it takes is a few minutes, just do a pull on the highway in 3rd gear.

Are you sure those octane boosters are doing anything? I would log the difference without them to put the myth to bed.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 12:22 PM   #3
Ænema
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
You already said it, we need logs. All it takes is a few minutes, just do a pull on the highway in 3rd gear.

Are you sure those octane boosters are doing anything? I would log the difference without them to put the myth to bed.
This.
Literally, all it takes is a couple 3rd gear pulls to get some logs.

With that said, on ACN most cars don't like Sport and Aggressive is out of the question but Drive is fine.
      12-30-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

I know Terry has done a lot of testing with the stuff and it does work from the results. None of them do what the manufacturers claim, but 1.5-2 octane points when adding to 91 octane is believable.

Some good independent lab testing here: http://www.fueltechexperts.com/2008/...which-is-best/

Obviously, I'd run 93 if we had it. Meth also works wonders, but I don't want it on this car. I'm running a whole bunch of straight VP M1 on my other car.
      12-30-2012, 06:25 PM   #5
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I know you said you don't want to mix e85 but it really is the best way to run the sport or aggressive maps when using CA gas. There is a station in Ventura called Silvas Oil Co. that sells e85 and I drive down from Lompoc every few months and fill up (5) five gallon jugs and just keep one full one in my trunk. But like everyone said, just log your car with the different maps on regular gas to see how your car responds.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:36 PM   #6
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

I thought there was a place in Lompoc that sold E85. Maybe not anymore?

Went out and made a pull with the sport mapping. It's in a chart format, not a graph. Guess I need to look into this more, but here it is.

*****edit: it won't let me attach a .csv file. Any hints?

Last edited by BMWM.D.; 12-30-2012 at 06:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 06:42 PM   #7
nukezero
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 3 series

I had this question too yesterday. I ran Stage 1 Sport on 91 Octane Shell V-power on my 2009 335i 6MT bone stock. The logs showed 4 cylinders pulled timing and some pulled twice throughout the power band in 3rd gear. There were no timing corrections in 2nd gear.

I also felt a hesitation like a "VTEC" type of kick feeling at 6000RPM, which I assume was a momentarily loss of power due to the timing correction.

Last night, I then ran Stage 1 Drive again, this time did a full 3rd gear log. There were no issues except cylinder 5 had an early timing correction at the start of the RPM climb at 3000RPM. Other than that, it looked clean and there was no hesitation.

It's safe to say, best not to run Sport mode unless you have access to 93 Octane.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:06 PM   #8
805beemer
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM.D. View Post
I thought there was a place in Lompoc that sold E85. Maybe not anymore?

Went out and made a pull with the sport mapping. It's in a chart format, not a graph. Guess I need to look into this more, but here it is.

*****edit: it won't let me attach a .csv file. Any hints?
There's a station on Vandenburg Airforce base but you obviously have to be in the military to get on base. I tried asking some guys that work on base but aren't in the military to buy some for me but the gas on base is tax free and only available to service men/women.

As far as posting the csv file you just have to rename it to something else like .txt instead of .csv
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 07:41 PM   #9
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 805beemer View Post
There's a station on Vandenburg Airforce base but you obviously have to be in the military to get on base. I tried asking some guys that work on base but aren't in the military to buy some for me but the gas on base is tax free and only available to service men/women.

As far as posting the csv file you just have to rename it to something else like .txt instead of .csv
Ahhh... Makes sense. I have a link to E85 stations, but didn't think that it was at Vandenburg. I might try the E85 thing, although I just emailed Terry and he claims he runs the NOS stuff at all times and it basically makes our 91 into 93 octane. I trust him as he's probably dyno'd more N54 cars than anybody on the planet.

I'm trying to get comfortable with the Cobb logging. It's just SOOOO much different than the HP Tuners stuff I use for GM tuning. I downloaded Virtual Dyno to plot my logs, and my timing corrections didn't look too bad. A little bit down low, but not any in the midrange to top-end.
      12-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #10
Bimmer Barney
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90M ZCP

There's also E85 in Ventura off Victoria. I'm going to call McCormix and see if they have any options to supply VP100. I run 91 Shell exclusively and have sent logs to Terry and he has given me the green light. I've got c@less DP's, Mr. 5 Intake, and Map5 JB4 (G4 Board)

BTW this Saturday (1/5) some of us are meeting at Ledbetter at 10am to check out each other's cars and do a little cruise through Hope Ranch. Come on down!

Last edited by Bimmer Barney; 12-30-2012 at 07:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Ahhh... Makes sense. I have a link to E85 stations, but didn't think that it was at Vandenburg. I might try the E85 thing, although I just emailed Terry and he claims he runs the NOS stuff at all times and it basically makes our 91 into 93 octane. I trust him as he's probably dyno'd more N54 cars than anybody on the planet.

I'm trying to get comfortable with the Cobb logging. It's just SOOOO much different than the HP Tuners stuff I use for GM tuning. I downloaded Virtual Dyno to plot my logs, and my timing corrections didn't look too bad. A little bit down low, but not any in the midrange to top-end.
Here's a link that does a good job of summing up the Cobb datalogging basics http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472
      12-30-2012, 08:41 PM   #12
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ænema View Post
Here's a link that does a good job of summing up the Cobb datalogging basics http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=696472
Thanks.... I actually already checked that out and downloaded the VD program.

What is the best way to post logs here on the forum? I tried to change the .CSV format of my original log file, but couldn't get it to happen. I guess I'm not a big enough computer geek
      12-30-2012, 08:46 PM   #13
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Barney View Post

BTW this Saturday (1/5) some of us are meeting at Ledbetter at 10am to check out each other's cars and do a little cruise through Hope Ranch. Come on down!
I might be up for that. Nice cruise down the beach and some fun in Hope Ranch is always good.
      12-30-2012, 11:27 PM   #14
Ænema
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.... I actually already checked that out and downloaded the VD program.

What is the best way to post logs here on the forum? I tried to change the .CSV format of my original log file, but couldn't get it to happen. I guess I'm not a big enough computer geek
Open the csv in excel and use "save as" to save a copy and change it from .csv to .txt when you save it. Then just attach it.