E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > DTC, ABS, Start Assist and Cruise Control Failure



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-09-2014, 04:58 AM   #67
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Mine's showing no codes but misses when going right over a roundabout and traction control light comes on.
Turn it off and it runs great, the other day ABS light and flat tyre light came on, opened the boot give it a good push up and down and it's been fine since but still have the issue with the traction kicking in even when going slow.
Garage said today that it's probably the ABS pump.
200 for the part, a lot for just probably.
Anybody had this happen where the traction kicks in?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 05:05 AM   #68
toutski
Enlisted Member
toutski's Avatar
United Kingdom
14
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: f30 320d msport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Belfast

iTrader: (0)

Had this exact same problem.

If you can engage and disengage the TC/DTC then its not the pump AFAIK.

Turns out my driveshaft was starting to wear/corrode and hit the ABS sensor causing the traction control to kick in at strange times.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:46 AM   #69
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Thanks for the reply...Interesting!
Did you get a new driveshaft and the problem was sorted?
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 02:48 PM   #70
Gazza0210
Private First Class
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: Bmw 320i
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: London, England

iTrader: (2)

How freeky is this,

Just had some new wheels fitted on mine and the same fault came up on my dash. They didn't have a reader handy at the garage (being fixed or something) so I took the car and drove it home gently.

Plugged in my fault code reader and it came up with "front right speed sensor".

Going to pick one of them up tomorrow and get it sorted.

42 from Euro.Blah.Blah.Blah
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:19 AM   #71
bazz780
Captain
bazz780's Avatar
50
Rep
807
Posts

Drives: E92 330d m sport
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: london

iTrader: (0)

Strange this. I had same issues with same errors on i drive and dash, turned out to be wheel alignment which was out, alignment done, drove car and next time i turned it on, lights were gone. Not come back since - just a thought
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2014, 04:35 AM   #72
markymark34
First Lieutenant
15
Rep
310
Posts

Drives: 2007 325d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazz780 View Post
Strange this. I had same issues with same errors on i drive and dash, turned out to be wheel alignment which was out, alignment done, drove car and next time i turned it on, lights were gone. Not come back since - just a thought
If you got away that lightly you are very very lucky. My lights went off for 2 weeks but sadly back on permanently now. Car booked in next week.
Great fun driving without traction control though!
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2014, 04:45 PM   #73
peter2704
Private
9
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: bmw e91 320i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: yorks

iTrader: (0)

my 07 320i has the yellow park brake light and the exclamation mark with the arrow round it but NO abs light ,any ideas guys? all came on when i changed my front tyres (done the wheel reset thing)
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2014, 04:11 AM   #74
toutski
Enlisted Member
toutski's Avatar
United Kingdom
14
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: f30 320d msport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Belfast

iTrader: (0)

bbstoke: I did and it did!

Hope you get sorted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstoke View Post
Thanks for the reply...Interesting!
Did you get a new driveshaft and the problem was sorted?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 10:56 AM   #75
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Today the car wouldn't start, cranking slowly then a icon came up, looked in the manual and it's active steering defective, wondering if this was a safety feature of the car that was not letting me drive it?
Indy garage picking it up tomorrow and plugging it in... 200 before it's touched
Anyone else had this?
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 01:18 PM   #76
JP.Williams
Second Lieutenant
JP.Williams's Avatar
United Kingdom
14
Rep
280
Posts

Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Kent - UK

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbstoke View Post
Today the car wouldn't start, cranking slowly then a icon came up, looked in the manual and it's active steering defective, wondering if this was a safety feature of the car that was not letting me drive it?
Indy garage picking it up tomorrow and plugging it in... 200 before it's touched
Anyone else had this?
All these issues sound like a dying battery ... have you had that checked yet? someone should be able to check that for less then 200!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:10 PM   #77
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by JP.Williams View Post
All these issues sound like a dying battery ... have you had that checked yet? someone should be able to check that for less then 200!
Thanks for the reply
Would the battery cause all these issues?
Had the T/C going haywire, had to turn it off to stop it playing up plus lots of ABS, flat tyre brake lights on the dash now and again.
Battery is the original, 8 years old.

Will post results as always
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 04:19 PM   #78
Frobius
Major
Frobius's Avatar
United Kingdom
28
Rep
1,022
Posts

Drives: F11 530d M-Sport
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Huntingdon, UK

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Low battery acts like a virus - the car wil do all sorts of crazy and unpredictable things!
Appreciate 0
      07-29-2014, 06:12 PM   #79
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frobius View Post
Low battery acts like a virus - the car wil do all sorts of crazy and unpredictable things!
Stupid how you don't get a low battery warning light.
Is praying that's all it is. Wife stating o give me grief about this car
"Why buy a BMW, nothing but trouble"

She right :-)
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 11:19 AM   #80
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by toutski View Post
Had this exact same problem.

If you can engage and disengage the TC/DTC then its not the pump AFAIK.

Turns out my driveshaft was starting to wear/corrode and hit the ABS sensor causing the traction control to kick in at strange times.
Had the battery replaced today but it's still missing with the T/C light flashing.
Took it back to the garage and they will look at it next week, they say it might be the driveshaft rubbing on the sensor like what you had

They have said that both driveshaft's will have to be replaced along with the sensor...1500.

Did you have that done or how did you get round it?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 04:27 AM   #81
toutski
Enlisted Member
toutski's Avatar
United Kingdom
14
Rep
39
Posts

Drives: f30 320d msport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Belfast

iTrader: (0)

Yes I got both done and a sensor. the passenger side was worst but the driver side was starting to go as well.

My mechanic priced the drive shafts from bmw at 440 + vat plus a sensor for 90 + vat i think. So thats probably closer to your 1500 including labour.

He sourced me new oem driveshafts for 150 + vat with a years warranty on them. He did the 2 driveshafts plus a new sensor for just over 500.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 01:57 PM   #82
tmarshall57
Lieutenant
tmarshall57's Avatar
United Kingdom
29
Rep
591
Posts

Drives: F10 530d M Sport
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bury, Lancs, UK

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by toutski View Post
Yes I got both done and a sensor. the passenger side was worst but the driver side was starting to go as well.

My mechanic priced the drive shafts from bmw at 440 + vat plus a sensor for 90 + vat i think. So thats probably closer to your 1500 including labour.

He sourced me new oem driveshafts for 150 + vat with a years warranty on them. He did the 2 driveshafts plus a new sensor for just over 500.
Is it the reluctor ring that had failed on the driveshaft? These can fail due to corrosion on the shaft causing the ring to break. BMW will quote for replacing the driveshaft when the ring itself can be replaced using parts like this for 20 or so..

http://www.ukpartsdirect.com/product...-ring-266.html

Some further similar background here....

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=4&t=127614
__________________
F10 530d M Sport, September 2012 Individual Amazonite Silver, Oyster Dakota Leather, Auto, Nav Pro, Bluetooth + USB Devices, Expanded BMW Online, Comfort Seats, Sunroof, Sun Protection Glass Individual Satin Walnut Honey Brown Trim Interior Inside/Outside Mirror with folding and autodip, M Rear Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:43 PM   #83
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by toutski View Post
Yes I got both done and a sensor. the passenger side was worst but the driver side was starting to go as well.

My mechanic priced the drive shafts from bmw at 440 + vat plus a sensor for 90 + vat i think. So thats probably closer to your 1500 including labour.

He sourced me new oem driveshafts for 150 + vat with a years warranty on them. He did the 2 driveshafts plus a new sensor for just over 500.
Mine's going in on Wednesday, driveshafts are 109+vat and the sensor 39+vat Andrew Page parts...400 for the lot fitted.. Happy days
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:45 PM   #84
bbstoke
Private First Class
bbstoke's Avatar
England
1
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: 2006 e90
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Stoke-On-Trent

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 318i SE  [5.00]
Send a message via AIM to bbstoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmarshall57 View Post
Is it the reluctor ring that had failed on the driveshaft? These can fail due to corrosion on the shaft causing the ring to break. BMW will quote for replacing the driveshaft when the ring itself can be replaced using parts like this for 20 or so..

http://www.ukpartsdirect.com/product...-ring-266.html

Some further similar background here....

http://www.bmwland.co.uk/forums/view...p?f=4&t=127614
That's exactly what it is, I've seen it myself
Both garages have tried them and they both says these rings don't fit
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:08 AM   #85
will.mcewan
Registered
0
Rep
1
Posts

Drives: BMW 325i E92 2007
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: E.Sussex UK

iTrader: (0)

Sorry to raise this again. I am about to send off my unit to ECU testing. Once returned an refitted what is the best way to bleed it. Obviously theres the dealer at cost, but other methods ive heard include driving it then activating the ABS with hard braking. Another is shorting 2 pins under the acs fuse to engage the pump. Any opinions or advice are much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 10:46 AM   #86
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
idnan's Avatar
England
60
Rep
1,519
Posts

Drives: Alpine White 335i
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Birmingham

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by will.mcewan View Post
Sorry to raise this again. I am about to send off my unit to ECU testing. Once returned an refitted what is the best way to bleed it. Obviously theres the dealer at cost, but other methods ive heard include driving it then activating the ABS with hard braking. Another is shorting 2 pins under the acs fuse to engage the pump. Any opinions or advice are much appreciated.
The ACS fuse was the way to do it on an e36! Use INPA/DIS/GT1/BT or a similar diagnostic tool to do it.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2014, 08:50 AM   #87
BC4J
Captain
BC4J's Avatar
United Kingdom
50
Rep
793
Posts

Drives: F30 328i
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Berkshire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Angry

Guys, this plague has now struck me

I have three warnings showing on iDrive:
- Driving Stability
- DBC Failure
- Start assistance inactive

I have read this thread through. I'm loathe to take this to my main dealer as in the worst case, e.g. hydro pump, I will no doubt take a massive wallet hit which I can ill afford. From what I've read I need to get to the fault codes behind the warnings to know the extent of the issue. What would you guys recommend - take to a local BMW indie (anyone recommend a good one in Berkshire), or some other route? My dealer would probably hit me with a 120 diagnostic charge just to look at the codes.
__________________
Behold! F30 328i M-Sport - Tanzanite Blue with Opal White Leather

Appreciate 0
      10-06-2014, 02:12 PM   #88
peter2704
Private
9
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: bmw e91 320i
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: yorks

iTrader: (0)

anyone know the time BMW allow to fit the repair kit for the hydro pump for the 4 cylinder models?
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:27 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST