E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > trolly jack recommendation

04-21-2015, 03:16 AM   #23
khurmit
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Thanks to everyone for their helpful suggestions, but come on guys! Do you really think lugging around concrete ramps or big planks of wood is a good solution? It would work, but isn't ideal.

And for the price of those ramp lift things, you could buy a suitable trolley jack with correct length to reach the front jacking point anyway (would prob be cheaper, and wouldn't hog as much room in the shed).
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:33 AM   #24
borinous
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 320d SE

Quote:
Originally Posted by khurmit View Post
And for the price of those ramp lift things, you could buy a suitable trolley jack with correct length to reach the front jacking point anyway (would prob be cheaper, and wouldn't hog as much room in the shed).
Look good though
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 03:35 AM   #25
Aragorn30d
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 330d

Lugging around 45kgs of trolley jack is somehow easier?

I have two costco jacks, ones the "lightweight" alloy bodied one i linked to above, which weighs about 25kgs, and the other is a bigger, older 3 tonne steel bodied jack which is 45kgs.

Neither are long enough to reach the front jacking point and both are heavy enough that moving them around isnt trivial, especially the steel one.

The extra long jack linked above is 50kgs so its even heavier.

A pair of ramps would weigh a fraction of that amount (concrete would be slightly overkill right enough!), and for doing oilchanges etc you wouldnt even need the trolley jack, just drive onto the ramps and get stuck in.

And for storage the ramps could be stored on a shelf or hung on the wall out the way, whereas a 50kg jack would be staying firmly on the floor!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2015, 04:01 AM   #26
Dann
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 LCi 335i

Those ramps would be awesome if they lifted the car as well.

Like under wheel jacks etc
      04-23-2015, 04:22 AM   #27
wallsmk2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e91 325i

Quote:
Originally Posted by borinous View Post
I have a set of these. They're great as when raised you can kneel underneath to access areas that a jack and stands would be very tricky to get to. I don't use so much for a the bmw but for a couple of needy older cars I have, they are invaluable. You can also get hydraulic ones, but these go up and down quickly with the aid of air tools.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2015, 05:39 AM   #28
IanS100
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: 520d F10 LCI M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aragorn30d View Post
I have two costco jacks, ones the "lightweight" alloy bodied one i linked to above, which weighs about 25kgs, and the other is a bigger, older 3 tonne steel bodied jack which is 45kgs.

Neither are long enough to reach the front jacking point and both are heavy enough that moving them around isnt trivial, especially the steel one.
I have a 'lightweight' Arcan aluminium jack which I naively though would be 'light' enough to chuck around
Appreciate 0