E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > oil pan gasket cost $$$

09-11-2018, 05:56 PM   #23
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: From the passenger seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by leeroyjenkins1 View Post
Interesting.. I'm actually considering fixing my oil pan leak as well, but the price obviously hurts. Assuming that the oil leakage amount isn't that bad, would you still recommend a fix? I've heard mixed reviews, some even saying it isn't even worth fixing/necessary at all. Do you guys agree?

Also, I read somewhere that you might as well swap out the turbos while your getting your oil pan gasket leak fixed. Roughly, how much labor hours/$$ would you save if you went ahead and swaped out the turbos while your at it? Considering if I should just replace them (even though current old ones work) if the money saved is meaningful.
There is a lot more work to be added on if doing the turbos. The only thing that you wouldn't have to do is drop the subframe since you've done so already.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 12:08 AM   #24
leeroyjenkins1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: N54

Quote:
Originally Posted by White330 View Post
There is a lot more work to be added on if doing the turbos. The only thing that you wouldn't have to do is drop the subframe since you've done so already.
Got it, so would you recommend that I fix mine since it isn't leaking that badly? Or should I hold off on it until it starts leaking notably more. If i were to fix it, anything I should ask my mechanic to get done while dropping the subframe?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2018, 02:36 PM   #25
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it, so would you recommend that I fix mine since it isn't leaking that badly? Or should I hold off on it until it starts leaking notably more. If i were to fix it, anything I should ask my mechanic to get done while dropping the subframe?
I'd replace the oil level sensor gasket, motor mounts, and check the power steering bolts. Besides that there isn't much else to do while you are down there
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2018, 05:25 PM   #26
malgyver
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan

I agree with those who suggest not doing the job.

I replaced my oil pan gasket when I did my turbo replacements. I have 20+ years of wrenching behind me, from replacing mirrors to rebuilding engines. I have resealed so many gaskets, and have a perfect record of those gaskets not leaking again. If I doubted my ability to properly seal an oil holding gasket, I probably would not have attempted it, simply because of the amount of time it takes to get to the offending gasket.

If you think you have good wrenching skills, and have the time and patience to have a potentially very frustrating experience, then by all means give it a try.

But this job is way more involved than a valve cover or intake valve cleaning. Proceed with caution and a healthy dose of optimism, frustration tolerance, and willingness to fail and then see it as a learning experience. It is not conceptually complex, but that doesn't make it an "easy" job.

And don't forget, the first step is to put the whole car up on jacks (you could just do the front), essentially disconnect the front suspension from the frame, and then get on your back underneath said car that is up on jacks. Thats probably enough to scare most people away!

Last edited by malgyver; 09-14-2018 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2018, 12:09 AM   #27
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Quote:
Originally Posted by malgyver View Post
I agree with those who suggest not doing the job.

I replaced my oil pan gasket when I did my turbo replacements. I have 20+ years of wrenching behind me, from replacing mirrors to rebuilding engines. I have resealed so many gaskets, and have a perfect record of those gaskets not leaking again. If I doubted my ability to properly seal an oil holding gasket, I probably would not have attempted it, simply because of the amount of time it takes to get to the offending gasket.

If you think you have good wrenching skills, and have the time and patience to have a potentially very frustrating experience, then by all means give it a try.

But this job is way more involved than a valve cover or intake valve cleaning. Proceed with caution and a healthy dose of optimism, frustration tolerance, and willingness to fail and then see it as a learning experience. It is not conceptually complex, but that doesn't make it an "easy" job.

And don't forget, the first step is to put the whole car up on jacks (you could just do the front), essentially disconnect the front suspension from the frame, and then get on your back underneath said car that is up on jacks. Thats probably enough to scare most people away!
Wow, then I surely underestimate my wrenching abilities! I'm a software developer by profession and an avid DIY'er as a hobby. But I consider myself as an average or below home mechanic. I replaced the oil pan gasket while replacing the turbos, doing a complete suspension overhaul, fuel pump, fuel filter, HPFP, water pump, and valve cover gasket, all done in my garage on my back And I thought that wasn't too difficult - just time consuming. And now I'm planning to do the valve stem seals on my X5. Man, I should go to an auto school and do some of this stuff on the side.
Appreciate 1
srey220.00
      09-15-2018, 03:17 PM   #28
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by musa View Post
Wow, then I surely underestimate my wrenching abilities! I'm a software developer by profession and an avid DIY'er as a hobby. But I consider myself as an average or below home mechanic. I replaced the oil pan gasket while replacing the turbos, doing a complete suspension overhaul, fuel pump, fuel filter, HPFP, water pump, and valve cover gasket, all done in my garage on my back And I thought that wasn't too difficult - just time consuming. And now I'm planning to do the valve stem seals on my X5. Man, I should go to an auto school and do some of this stuff on the side.

I'm nowhere near a mechanic, but I do all the work on my own car and I agree with you. The oil pan gasket was not hard at all. It just took a bit of patience. I did mine on jack stands and I thought it was one of the more simple jobs I've done.
Appreciate 1
srey220.00
      09-18-2018, 11:40 PM   #29
leeroyjenkins1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Got it. Assuming your not leaking that bad, do you still think its a good idea to spend money to pay a mechanic to fix the oil pan leak? Or maybe wait till the leak becomes very noticeable (i.e., constantly filling up engine oil)?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:43 AM   #30
nikitino25
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

What's the average mileage when it starts leaking?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 12:13 PM   #31
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Assuming your not leaking that bad, do you still think its a good idea to spend money to pay a mechanic to fix the oil pan leak? Or maybe wait till the leak becomes very noticeable (i.e., constantly filling up engine oil)?
If its leaking bad enough to where you need to start adding oil between changes than I would get it fixed. Since you were asking about turbos, are you thinking yours are on their way out?
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 08:37 PM   #32
mweisdorfer
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Black/Black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 BMW E90 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr335bob View Post
Seems my oil pan gasket is leaking it's a very slow leak. But I want to prepare for it. How much did it cost for you to get it done at a shop ? What else to get done while I'm down there ?
O2 sensors

Motor mounts

Maybe 1.75" silicone inlets
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 11:36 PM   #33
leeroyjenkins1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
If its leaking bad enough to where you need to start adding oil between changes than I would get it fixed. Since you were asking about turbos, are you thinking yours are on their way out?
Got it. Yea, I'm running on my original stock ones and I'm at 119K miles (bad WG rattle, but thanks to JB4 not so bad) so I am preparing for it. Think I should wait it out till they blow out or just get them swapped while I do my oil pan gasket? I've heard stock turbos typically will die out around 100K-130K miles.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 03:26 PM   #34
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Got it. Yea, I'm running on my original stock ones and I'm at 119K miles (bad WG rattle, but thanks to JB4 not so bad) so I am preparing for it. Think I should wait it out till they blow out or just get them swapped while I do my oil pan gasket? I've heard stock turbos typically will die out around 100K-130K miles.
Yeah with that many miles they are probably close to being done. I would get the turbos replaced when possible and just get the oil pan gasket done at the same time. There’s a bit more work to be done, but at least the subframe should be out of the way already. By the way, the feeling of new turbos after having wastegate rattle is night and day!
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2018, 11:45 PM   #35
leeroyjenkins1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Yeah with that many miles they are probably close to being done. I would get the turbos replaced when possible and just get the oil pan gasket done at the same time. There’s a bit more work to be done, but at least the subframe should be out of the way already. By the way, the feeling of new turbos after having wastegate rattle is night and day!
Haha its just so darn expensive . Tough pouring that much money into something that's worth only so much, but then again the N54 is truly a beauty. Do you recommend going OEM on the turbos or did you go aftermarket? I want longevity so I'm leaning towards going OEM, but at the same time would be nice getting that extra boost! Tough life decisions. #firstworldproblems
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2018, 12:41 PM   #36
White330
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Haha its just so darn expensive . Tough pouring that much money into something that's worth only so much, but then again the N54 is truly a beauty. Do you recommend going OEM on the turbos or did you go aftermarket? I want longevity so I'm leaning towards going OEM, but at the same time would be nice getting that extra boost! Tough life decisions. #firstworldproblems
At first I went with some OEM replacement turbos from VTT but I got bored with the power level so I'm single turbo now My e90 is my fun car though. If I was wanting to keep the reliability though, I would've stuck with the OEM turbos
Appreciate 0